The Cornwall RLFC Thread

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

They won’t have a team ready in time apparently. 

14 signings announced (by a very quick count).

Someone smarter than me should fiddle about to get a likely starting thirteen together to see if there are any obvious gaps.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

14 signings announced (by a very quick count).

Someone smarter than me should fiddle about to get a likely starting thirteen together to see if there are any obvious gaps.

They’ll have more signings than that by the time the L1 season kicks off. 

Just now, Eddie said:

They’ll have more signings than that by the time the L1 season kicks off. 

Would still be good to see how the side could line up.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

Simon Grix sounded disappointed 2 weeks ago when Fax announced that Whitton had asked to be released so he could go back to play with his mates at Siddal.

I wonder what Halifax make of this signing!

Apparently, he want to play, and his chances at the Shay were limited.  i can't imagine Simon Grix would have objected had he gone directly to Cornwall.  Obviously, I know nothing, but looking from outside, it looks like he asked to be released so he could at least have game time at Siddal, then Cornwall saw his realease and saw an opportunity.  Cornwall wouldn't necessarily had any thoughts of him being available until he was released.

Or, you might be right and Halifax may feel aggrieved, but as he was only a fringe player... And 20 yrs old with an opportunity to move to Cornwall and try something new, I can't fault the lad.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jughead said:

But isn’t there a concern they won’t start the season like plenty on here said? 

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

They won’t have a team ready in time apparently. 

For the avoidance of doubt and to nip rumours in the bud, Cornwall RLFC will be (a) starting the season (b) with a squad.

Follow them on one of the social media channels for bang up-to-date news.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChristianB said:

For the avoidance of doubt and to nip rumours in the bud, Cornwall RLFC will be (a) starting the season (b) with a squad.

Follow them on one of the social media channels for bang up-to-date news.

We were both being sarcastic mate, I know Cornwall will be starting the season and it looks like they’re putting a decent squad together, which will disappoint some on this forum. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

We were both being sarcastic mate, I know Cornwall will be starting the season and it looks like they’re putting a decent squad together, which will disappoint some on this forum. 

If they can get a squad of 20+ together they can fill West Wales subs bench when they head over there.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Which is vital when this starts.  Could see them making the play offs . Beating Skolars WWR Midlands and nabbing a few results against the northern six. 

Give over! Cornwall has done well to pull together a squad but they haven't played together yet and will likely start slow. They also have little RL experience across the whole squad so will struggle. Likely they'll beat West Wales and if they pick up any other wins that would be seen as a success for a brand new club in a brand new area. 

I'm not saying this to put Cornwall down, I feel they've made a lot of positive noises. However, there's no point building them up or sugar coating the job they have at hand. It will be a tough first year for them but there are some positive signs. 

Edited by OriginalMrC
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

Hadn't clocked the ground is accessible by train (via Truro) - may well make a weekend of it when Skolars play them.

The ground is actually very accessible by car or train. When you take the Maritime Line from Truro, turn right out of Penryn Station and you'll be there in ten minutes, if that.

See you there!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Decent player. Certainly looks like they'll have a stronger squad than West Wales and potentially Skolars this year. 

Are you confident that the Hurricaines will be better than Cornwall? Must admit I don’t know much about your team this year, has it changed much from last season? 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Are you confident that the Hurricaines will be better than Cornwall? Must admit I don’t know much about your team this year, has it changed much from last season? 

More experience in the middle this year and a bigger pack (Trae OSullivan and Russ Spiers have been added) . Experienced players in the halfs (Benn Hardcastle and Dave Scott) and retained most of our squad and also the coaching team from last year. Have also added some very good young players. A number of teams above us have also strengthened but I'm fairly confident we'll be a match for many teams in the league 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Another fantastic story of how spreading the game opens it up to people we might lose.  

This Cornwall team look on the way to a solid 13-17 which should be enough for a few wins. 

May well be able to tempt a few young lads to go down there for the lifestyle too in the next couple of years.

Drove past the ground the other day whilst down there visiting family. Didn’t see much in the way of Cornwall RL signage/logos but there’s time yet. A bit of merchandise on the website wouldn’t go amiss. It’s a bit of a missed trick so far (unless I’ve missed it) when I’m sure people would pick up bits and bobs. 

The squad looks to be building nicely and they should go ok. We’ll be down at least once more this year so looking forward to watching a game or two. 

• Like 2

On 09/03/2022 at 12:35, Eddie said:

the negative - and there is one - is that this is likely because both the premiership is essentially ringfencing, and even without that shot in the hull (hit to income and anchor tenant), the Stadium for Cornwall is yet again listing heavily as a proposal because the planners and enough of the local worthies don't want it.

So, what it does mean is that Cornwall appears to be stuck with the sports grounds it has got. Pirates' benefactor has spent millions over nearly 20 years trying to make pro sport happen in Cornwall - and Cornwall's most popular sport at that.

If I was trying to introduce RL to Cornwall, and really committed to it rather than a stunt for a couple of years, I'd be drawing conclusions from that experience unfortunately. 

Edited by iffleyox

48 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

the Stadium for Cornwall is yet again listing heavily as a proposal because the planners and enough of the local worthies don't want it.

Out of interest, what insight to the planning have you had?
Last I heard, the land was allocated and the conversation had moved to funding it. With the lack of central government commitment in the Autumn budget, it meant they were back at the drawing board for funds.

3 minutes ago, tiffers said:

Out of interest, what insight to the planning have you had?
Last I heard, the land was allocated and the conversation had moved to funding it. With the lack of central government commitment in the Autumn budget, it meant they were back at the drawing board for funds.

probably wishful thinking on the part of an ex member of Cornwall Council I run into from time to time - funding is the main issue, but the antis managed to kick the can along long enough for us to end up where we are rather than getting it done years ago. So it's more that the planners/local worthies lost their long drawn attempts to stop it, but stopped it long enough for premiership ring fencing and lack of central government funds to ride to the rescue - IYSWIM.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

probably wishful thinking on the part of an ex member of Cornwall Council I run into from time to time - funding is the main issue, but the antis managed to kick the can along long enough for us to end up where we are rather than getting it done years ago. So it's more that the planners/local worthies lost their long drawn attempts to stop it, but stopped it long enough for premiership ring fencing and lack of central government funds to ride to the rescue - IYSWIM.

I see! Got where you are coming from.

There's no doubt it struggling to get any real momentum. The Chancellor effectively shot it to pieces with no central gov. support. It seems like Truro FC are really in a mess with this unless they find some sort of miracle. At this rate, they will find themselves at Penryn or Penzance permanently soon enough!

Cornwall RL should be fine at Penryn for the time being. Although, if (and a big if yet) they do start to gain some momentum to the point they were maxing out capacity. There isn't too many other options for further growth without serious capital investments on their part.