The Cornwall RLFC Thread

17 minutes ago, tiffers said:

After a positive start yesterday evening...

BBC Spotlight (local news for those not in the SW) quoted over 1k tickets sold for next weekend in the segment ahead of the game at NWC. Looks like we should get a very good gate next weekend with over a week of sales to add to that.

It sure looks like a party in Penryn next week. Largest attendance in L1 next weekend you'd expect...

I certainly hope so, good luck with it all. You fella's made a great start. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tiffers said:

After a positive start yesterday evening...

BBC Spotlight (local news for those not in the SW) quoted over 1k tickets sold for next weekend in the segment ahead of the game at NWC. Looks like we should get a very good gate next weekend with over a week of sales to add to that.

It sure looks like a party in Penryn next week. Largest attendance in L1 next weekend you'd expect...

Great stuff, hope it's a belting sunny day and a huge success.

• Like 2

More Bulls on the loose

Here's our 20 man squad for our match against @CornwallRLFC on Sunday also Live on OurLeague.
The squad includes David Foggin-Johnston and Marcus Green who have both joined on loan from Bradford Bulls. Welcome to the Hurricanes!

277790089_5278021985563123_583333575700807245_n.jpg

Just wanted to say i’m impressed with the level of professionalism on Cornwall’s online presence. Their website is as good as any Super League team and probably better than most.

I’m often astounded at how bad some Rugby League clubs are online. Even at the top level it can take days for match reports to appear or results to be updated. I’ve just been on the Skolars website and they still have last seasons table up.

They might not have the squad yet, but Cornwall are doing all the right things off the field to show that they’re a serious club.

• Like 8

I’ll try and catch some of the game today on my way over to Wakey. A couple of young Wigan lads have gone on loan to Cornwall and are in the squad (Toby Brannan and Adam Jones). I’ve been impressed with Brannan when I’ve seen him. He’s a big prop and dominant at academy level, so it’ll be interesting to see how he goes against bigger blokes. 

On 09/04/2022 at 04:53, Toby Chopra said:

Dual reg deal with Bradford. Could be a game changer if Bulls actually use it. But how would it work? Most Bulls players are part time, so how can they train in Cornwall? 

https://cornwallrlfc.co.uk/news/cornwall-agree-dual-registration-with-bradford-bulls/

I'm confused

We've announced a DR partnership with Cornwall-- and then promptly sent two players to team up with their opponents for this afternoon.

** head scratching **

• Like 1

Just back from the match, well back to hotel in Plymouth  

Many good impressions, sitting on the train from Plymouth and hearing the ticket inspector keep repeating change at Truro for Penryn, a good selection of RL shirts on the train and a combination of RL fans and Cornwall meant friendly people. Doubt I have chatted to as many RL fans in a single day before with the journey back similar

the ground was better than I expected, slightly ramshackle stand and cover opposite, albeit blocked by tv gantry today. Plenty of grass banking and nice weather in any event

Everything well organised for food and drink with no queues.

Heard in advance 1000 plus tickets sold but would estimate crowd a bit lower than that 

For a first match could not have been better organised

On the field, I have to admit I am a part time Hurricanes fan so have seen some large home defeats. Cornwall had the ball for almost all of the first five and the visitors scored against the run of play but then one way traffic and 0 40 at half time. Sone players clearly lacked the experience but the score was mostly due to one off mistakes. Second half was level until the last minute. a significant end to end slope may have been a factor

Nothing overall but positives and those on the train said they would come again

Where players will come from ti improve the team is an issue but the ones they have will get better and there does seem to be an acceptance that victories over West wales and maybe Skolars and hopefully a couple of bonus wins elsewhere will suffice.

Long term other factors will influence success, failure and longevity but for today, well done Cornwall  

Edited by groundhopper
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 3

Don't know the official attendance figure but I do know this was a major success for Cornwall and the game. Really hope the locals come back next week because the club and the players really seem to be committed to making this work. You had to be there today to see how good the event was. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

I'm confused

We've announced a DR partnership with Cornwall-- and then promptly sent two players to team up with their opponents for this afternoon.

** head scratching **

Both on loan not DR. Also clubs can have more than one DR agreement

4 minutes ago, Yorks Tim said:

Don't know the official attendance figure but I do know this was a major success for Cornwall and the game. Really hope the locals come back next week because the club and the players really seem to be committed to making this work. You had to be there today to see how good the event was. 

is it televised (on our league?)?

3 minutes ago, Yorks Tim said:

Yes all their games are on Our League. Home and away I believe. 

Can't find it there. 

9 hours ago, fevtom said:

Just wanted to say i’m impressed with the level of professionalism on Cornwall’s online presence. Their website is as good as any Super League team and probably better than most.

I’m often astounded at how bad some Rugby League clubs are online. Even at the top level it can take days for match reports to appear or results to be updated. I’ve just been on the Skolars website and they still have last seasons table up.

They might not have the squad yet, but Cornwall are doing all the right things off the field to show that they’re a serious club.

Which SL clubs have websites worse than Cornwall's? 

Because I'd be very worried if that was the case. 

31 minutes ago, Yorks Tim said:

Thank you, Tim. That's much appreciated.

Hope to head up with the team to your patch later in the season. 👍

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Both on loan not DR. Also clubs can have more than one DR agreement

Well, yeah, I guess DFJ was sent to you guys to regain match fitness after being suspended. That will be a one-off. Marcus Green is a reserve player, he might stick around.

Still seems a bit odd that we didn't send those two to play for Cornwall - not that it would have made much difference to the result today 😉

1 hour ago, Yorks Tim said:

Attendance of 1473.

👍👍👍

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, ChristianB said:

Attendance of 1473.

👍👍👍

For those not so familiar with the local RU attendances. Worth noting that Cornish Pirates opened their season in 21/22 with 1263 against Richmond and average around 1800 a game. 

1500 is a great start!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JonM said:

They're on live - not sure that the recordings of the games are available for later viewing.

They will be available to re watch once Our League makes it update their website. You will even have the chance to see the highlights on the website and on Cornwall's youtube page.     

• Thanks 2

Good luck Cornwall. We had a great day there today. The atmosphere was fantastic.

The home crowd never shut up ( not sure about the 1400÷, but there was a large game for League 1. So well done to all concerned)

They will win a few games BUT they need to find RL players. Low level union players just don't cut it. Being local isn't enough.

They have the chance to do something special for RL and I hope they do.

Sorry we put a damper on your party,

To the Cornwall fans get behind your team, they could be quite special.

• Like 6

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

47 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Good luck Cornwall. We had a great day there today. The atmosphere was fantastic.

The home crowd never shut up ( not sure about the 1400÷, but there was a large game for League 1. So well done to all concerned)

They will win a few games BUT they need to find RL players. Low level union players just don't cut it. Being local isn't enough.

They have the chance to do something special for RL and I hope they do.

Sorry we put a damper on your party,

To the Cornwall fans get behind your team, they could be quite special.

Glad you had a great time, Bearman. It's a long-term project, and everyone at the club is working to make it a success. It will be.

There were definitely that many there. That's the figure from the gate attendant receipts.

Also, with regard to local recruits, bear in mind that Sam Snell (2nd row) now has two tries in two games. That's the kind of raw talent we are unearthing and developing.

Really looking forward to welcoming travelling RL fans over coming months. They play such a big part in adding to the event and bringing new local fans up to speed.

• Like 7