The Cornwall RLFC Thread

On 10/04/2022 at 12:19, paulwalker71 said:

I'm confused

We've announced a DR partnership with Cornwall-- and then promptly sent two players to team up with their opponents for this afternoon.

** head scratching **

Thought Foggin Johnston was banned ?.

17 hours ago, Stirlin said:

Thought Foggin Johnston was banned ?.

Either way, he was clearly one of the best players on the pitch and a level above. Always looked dangerous with ball in hand and tore a few holes in a tired Cornish defence.

On 10/04/2022 at 21:00, tiffers said:

For those not so familiar with the local RU attendances. Worth noting that Cornish Pirates opened their season in 21/22 with 1263 against Richmond and average around 1800 a game. 

1500 is a great start!

Cornish Pirates averaged 1435.

Edit: Apologies, their home average was 1550. The 1435 is their averaged away games attendance.

Edited by Kimbo
  • Like 2

eh?

• 3 weeks later...

Some straight talking from Neil Kelly. However the club also needs to take some responsibility as some of these guys had little time to adapt to being a professional player and have been thrown in at the deep end:

Cornwall head coach Neil Kelly says his locally signed squad members need to adapt to being professional players.

Cornwall suffered the biggest loss of their maiden League One campaign on Sunday when they were beaten 50-0 at home by Rochdale Hornets.

The club have added loan players from sides such as Wigan, Leeds and Bradford Bulls to boost their squad.

"I'd be lying if I said I thought we'd thoroughly adopted being professional," Kelly told BBC Radio Cornwall.

"It's one thing having nice kit to wear and supplements for your diet and staying in a nice hotel when you go away from home and all those things, they're things that should be provided to professionals.

"But it doesn't make you professional. You've got to adopt a professional attitude, and I feel as though - and I'm probably directly speaking to the Cornish rugby union players that we've signed on - I'd be lying if I said they'd fully adopted being a professional.

"They've enjoyed that environment, but you've also got to adopt a professional environment and it's when you adopt it and you start thinking like a professional that you make those improvements within your game."

Cornwall RLFC: Cornish players need to adapt to being professionals - Kelly - BBC Sport

14 minutes ago, Damien said:

Some straight talking from Neil Kelly. However the club also needs to take some responsibility as some of these guys had little time to adapt to being a professional player and have been thrown in at the deep end:

Cornwall head coach Neil Kelly says his locally signed squad members need to adapt to being professional players.

Cornwall suffered the biggest loss of their maiden League One campaign on Sunday when they were beaten 50-0 at home by Rochdale Hornets.

The club have added loan players from sides such as Wigan, Leeds and Bradford Bulls to boost their squad.

"I'd be lying if I said I thought we'd thoroughly adopted being professional," Kelly told BBC Radio Cornwall.

"It's one thing having nice kit to wear and supplements for your diet and staying in a nice hotel when you go away from home and all those things, they're things that should be provided to professionals.

"But it doesn't make you professional. You've got to adopt a professional attitude, and I feel as though - and I'm probably directly speaking to the Cornish rugby union players that we've signed on - I'd be lying if I said they'd fully adopted being a professional.

"They've enjoyed that environment, but you've also got to adopt a professional environment and it's when you adopt it and you start thinking like a professional that you make those improvements within your game."

Cornwall RLFC: Cornish players need to adapt to being professionals - Kelly - BBC Sport

Jeez, that does appear harsh to call them out explicitly like that. Have to assume they needed a reality check because Kelly should know what he is doing. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Damien said:

It's really up to the coach to make the players feel and act like professionals.

But good of him to admit that he's failed in that.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It's really up to the coach to make the players feel and act like professionals.

Indeed, I found the comments a bit odd. The whole point is these players WERE just amateur local union players until a few weeks ago, and presumably they're still not training full time, so what does he expect?

If he's saying they just haven't taken it seriously or put in the effort, then fair enough, otherwise it's HIS job to teach them

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Bit of a silly comment made from afar, how would you know what’s happening during the week and perhaps in the hotel when they’re away for a game?

Kelly obviously knows what’s happening regards players attitudes and if he feels he needs to call out a few for thinking this is a bus man’s holiday then I’m happy with that. By all accounts the set up and the coaching has been outstanding but if some players can’t up their attitudes to match then it needs calling out.

• Like 2

Forgive me but surely they are going to take some initial hammering’s during the bedding in process. I know for a fact they are drafting players in from all over the place at this moment in time. The players will no doubt still be getting to know each other’s names. That’s what you get with an attempted expansion. I like Neil Kelly but a degree of patience is going to be required. Eventually the cream players will always rise to the top!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Maybe within the four walls of the changing room but going public is unlikely to promote team spirit. Cant see those blokes willing to run through a brick wall for the current coach either now or in the future.

It doesn’t sound like they were in the first place. Maybe this is what it needs for them to buck their ideas up if they want to be paid to play rugby. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was saying to a mate on Sunday, if Cornwall could make it through the first couple of rounds of the cup next year and draw a Leeds or Wigan home-tie, I could see a really big crowd at Penryn. Capacity perhaps.

Why? There is ###### all else going on in the sporting world down here. It would definitely generate a lot of headlines and media coverage in the build-up.

Will be interesting to see if there are any big names for a pre-season friendly in Cornwall next year. Bradford might be interested with the dual-reg agreement and test-out some of their youngsters in the Cornwall squad.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well Neil Kelly's ''motivational'' column seems to have done them the world of good. Is this game on Our League? 

• Like 1

On 11/04/2022 at 18:34, The Future is League said:

This is a learning curve for Cornwall at the moment.

Things will improve

I  remember when Hemel and Skolars were on "Learning curves" quite a long time ago now.

I don't think highly inexperienced players learn anything from being hammered and publicly called out by their coach.

Let's face the fact that the pro game is stuck with too many clubs and the unthinkable was to jettison the likes of Rochdale Hornets, so the alternative was to create more so called professional clubs to make up a third tier.

Nothing ever improved for Hemel, and nothing has improved for the Skolars, nothing has improved for Wales and so why should it improve at Cornwall? 

Then there is the issue of TV money, and we now see consultants coming in to sort out the games future. For my money the bigger Clubs will stand back and allow these consultants to be the ones to wield the axe, and slimline the game, and take all the flack for closing down the "minnows"......