The Cornwall RLFC Thread

12 minutes ago, steve oates said:

I  remember when Hemel and Skolars were on "Learning curves" quite a long time ago now.

I don't think highly inexperienced players learn anything from being hammered and publicly called out by their coach.

Let's face the fact that the pro game is stuck with too many clubs and the unthinkable was to jettison the likes of Rochdale Hornets, so the alternative was to create more so called professional clubs to make up a third tier.

Nothing ever improved for Hemel, and nothing has improved for the Skolars, nothing has improved for Wales and so why should it improve at Cornwall? 

Then there is the issue of TV money, and we now see consultants coming in to sort out the games future. For my money the bigger Clubs will stand back and allow these consultants to be the ones to wield the axe, and slimline the game, and take all the flack for closing down the "minnows"......

You're a little ray of sunshine aren't you? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I dont get the game is stuck with too many professional clubs. Its needs more, not less. The trouble is because we haven't enough we dont have enough at different levels of ability and development so have two fairly lop sided lower leagues.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Found a list of uk expansion teams and clear not a single club who joined had combination of appropriate facilities and sufficent early backing to be competitive. Hemel Oxford and Gloucester  all sub championship stadiums. 

Bears werent allowed to make rev from ground so stillborn. Skolars stuck behind an athletics track.  Blackpool werent playing in Blackpool.  Crusaders were in oversized racecourse then an athletics track with no revenue.  South Wales now West Wales had zero money put in to be competitive. 

Now Cornwall with Perez who said funding for Aces would go to Cornwall but thats clearly not true with this seasons budget.  

Only Newcastle Thunder in its current guise ticks the boxes. 

I dont think the problem is expansion at all but that we let in clubs who didnt have infrastructure and or backing in place to ever be successful. 

Going forward we should welcome anyone who wants to come in to do so but they have to meet some basic criteria:

You have a championship standard facility to play at.  You can generate rev from your stadium and first season there should be a minimum spend on playing budget to prevent you being a pumped team. 

How very Super League licencing period this is. 

11 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Fine, then do it properly. What is the benefit of giving central funding to Oldham if every time they get promoted they have to leave the borough? 

That’s my point. If you’re going to hold up any potential new clubs to the sport, you should do so for those existing clubs. I think a system in which some clubs are measured significantly differently is a system that’s not going to work, as licensing showed. 

I’ve advocated for a long time that clubs, especially those in League One given the diversity of its make up, should be measured of off certain metrics and clubs like London Skolars (pathway, community programmes, an asset or two, location etc) probably offer more than Swinton (Swinton in all but name, no pathway, no community programmes, no assets etc) for example and central funding should be distributed in a way that reflects this. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Fine, then do it properly. What is the benefit of giving central funding to Oldham if every time they get promoted they have to leave the borough? 

What is/was the point of giving Bradford Bulls any central funding when all they did for years was pixx it away buying success whilst in reality haemorrhaging money resulting in several financial crises in an incredibly short period, and begging their supporters, and anyone else, to raise money for them, and then pixxing that away too. 

17 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

No problem with that. Not a heartlander and I´d be pretty ruthless about central funding. Swinton arent going home, Oldham need a bridging championship suitable stadium or no. Rochdale if they cant get rev of stadium no. Any penny we have needs to be a long term investment. As mentioned, clubs at top of League 1 are clubs that can generate own income or own stadium. 

Out of interest, which teams in league 1 (and in the championship) own their own stadium. I am guessing its a small number, but it is simply a guess.

5 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Out of interest, which teams in league 1 (and in the championship) own their own stadium. I am guessing its a small number, but it is simply a guess.

Assuming that Wikipedia(*) and its attendant links are correct then, in League 1, it appears to be one: Keighley.

Championship, it's Barrow, Batley, Dewsbury, Fev, Whitehaven and Workington.

(* factual corrections welcome)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Assuming that Wikipedia(*) and its attendant links are correct then, in League 1, it appears to be one: Keighley.

56 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Keighley I think WWR  ( I think) Fev.  Newcastle owned by same guy who owns union club,who own ground. Barrow I think.  Batley and Dewsbury. YCK have 90 plus year lease and right to rev so good as. Workington have some long lease. 

Think @The Blues Ox has said Fax dont make rev in stadium but again check.

Probably worth its own thread. 

I believe that Doncaster RLFC and Doncaster Rovers are in the same ownership and the parent company owns the stadium. I could be wrong.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

I believe that Doncaster RLFC and Doncaster Rovers are in the same ownership and the parent company owns the stadium. I could be wrong.

Yes, on checking, it looks like you're right. Doncaster Rovers tookover the RL side in 2013. 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Keighley I think WWR  ( I think) Fev.  Newcastle owned by same guy who owns union club,who own ground. Barrow I think.  Batley and Dewsbury. YCK have 90 plus year lease and right to rev so good as. Workington have some long lease. 

Think @The Blues Ox has said Fax dont make rev in stadium but again check.

Probably worth its own thread. 

I think the Co-Op own Keighley and I think WWR is owned by Llanelli Town Council.

12 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Dewsbury have a very long lease* but don't actually own 

*999 years from around 1994

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Thanks 1

On 19/05/2022 at 16:17, OriginalMrC said:

Another local RU player signs for Cornwall 😉

All joking aside that is a brilliant signing. He is a top player. 

Yeah. Not sure there's a gap in his position but I was a bit annoyed when I heard that he'd signed for Cornwall and not Midlands. If he's still on it he could change things up a level there.

How’s it working with the northern based players? Are they commuting to Cornwall for training and games (that seems unlikely), are they moving permanently down there or do they just turn up for games and train nearer home?

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Cornishknocker said:

New to watching live rugby league and thoroughly enjoy my trips to Penryn watching Cornwall.

I may even get lucky and witness a victory, but not holding my breath for that, just yet!!

That's great to hear. Hopefully you can get a win soon!

5 minutes ago, Cornishknocker said:

New to watching live rugby league and thoroughly enjoy my trips to Penryn watching Cornwall.

I may even get lucky and witness a victory, but not holding my breath for that, just yet!!

Were you an RL fan already? How did you hear about the new Cornish club?

Do you think they can build a decent size fan base down in Cornwall?

On 19/05/2022 at 08:04, gingerjon said:

Pretty sure Whitehaven's ground is owned by the miners welfare.

7 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Were you an RL fan already? How did you hear about the new Cornish club?

Do you think they can build a decent size fan base down in Cornwall?

I watched RL but only on TV, and only the big games and Internationals.   

I heard about the new Cornwall team via local media 

Hopefully we can build a  good local fanbase,  different team shirts on show, at games so maybe a few northern people either living or on  holiday here are coming to games

It's all going to take time

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, Cornishknocker said:

I watched RL but only on TV, and only the big games and Internationals.   

I heard about the new Cornwall team via local media 

Hopefully we can build a  good local fanbase,  different team shirts on show, at games so maybe a few northern people either living or on  holiday here are coming to games

It's all going to take time

My wife myself and our youngest are coming for the Keighley Cougars match:)

Paul

• Like 1

On 18/05/2022 at 09:24, ShropshireBull said:

Hemel Oxford and Gloucester  all sub championship stadiums. 

Oxford moved to a joke stadium with no real facilities and a running track round the pitch. The ground they played at for the first two seasons, Iffley Road, would have been fine for the Championship - city centre location, covered seated stands down both sides (from memory the one on the far side of the pitch holds 500, the one on the road side holds 750-1,000, small terrace, clubhouse. Not sure where the problem is - it's better than Ealing...

If googling Iffley Road, ensure you're looking at the rugby ground rather than the athletics ground (where Roger Bannister ran his famous mile) as they're different.

• Like 1

On 30/05/2022 at 15:08, Hopping Mad said:

Pretty sure Whitehaven's ground is owned by the miners welfare.

Miners welfare do own Whitehavens ground but Whitehaven have a lease, not sure how long for but think I've heard before that it's 30 years. The bar inside the ground is Whitehavens and food is either theirs or concessions they allow 

• Like 1

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand