The Cornwall RLFC Thread

Revisited today for the Keighley game and still so many positives from the club

These are mostly off the field but there were some great tackles, two tries against the league leaders and a score slightly better than some would have expected, especially with a man sent off before half time

i would estimate the crowd at 500 plus so about 60% pc what I estimated for the first. An impressive number were however supporting the visitors.

More importantly the buzz remains, the atmosphere is as good as any in RL. You can sit outside or inside pre gam with three bars including one selling a real ale brewed in the town and the food is good, cake stalls  as well as burgers. People have bought into this and are enjoying it. I doubt more than a handful left before the end and I heard nothing negative. It is accepted by most,  the year will be difficult and thankfully there were no promises of promotion or super league in 5 years. 
I think the Cornwall, rather than a town, name and players with a connection to the area was a wise choice and a bus load of players from Yorkshire would not have caught on

The hosts are likely to be happy with I assume car park revenue going to them and that would have exceeded £500 today, Although I must admit I would rather walk and did so that pay £5. The bars also did well. Hopefully Cornwall get. A percentage

I am a poor judge but consider they played much better than in the game against Hurricanes.

Any negatives, not the day in any way and game was competitive. If anyone watched on Our League you will have shared my amusement when Keighley crossed in the corner, the player realised no one was covering and ran towards the posts unopposed. When he was behind them  the ball was knocked from his hands. 

There is a concern with team strength. The club seem to have found and tried almost anyone with RL experience in the area. If only London tried so hard in seeing what is hiding. If they have however missed few possibles, then it is hard to see how they can be stronger on the field.  The fans are loyal but a win is needed. Having seen them twice and West Wales once this year, I don’t see why they can’t win the return from a few weeks ago

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Normally would put this in other code but not sure whether this is bad or good for Cornwall RL tbh. 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/61981660

RU team can never reach top tiers and Cornwall RL could capture a market but also means RL club would never have an appropriate SL stadium either unless one could be updated. 

Not good news, but this has been on the cards for a while unfortunately 

Not good news at all for the sporting people of the county as a whole.

Although, Penryn does everything needed of it at the moment. Much further down the line, it has more than enough land to be developed if Cornwall RL and Penryn RU were to come to some kind of arrangement. No doubt would be a great negotiating tool in terms of who owns what, and importantly, who takes the income from it too. Obviously that depends on capital investment etc. Not to mention just how early doors this is with Cornwall RL(!).

None of that would be possible at the S4C. You'd imagine Cornwall RL would be just another one of our clubs being a tenant, renting a stadium with little negotiating power for any other income sources.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Normally would put this in other code but not sure whether this is bad or good for Cornwall RL tbh. 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/61981660

RU team can never reach top tiers and Cornwall RL could capture a market but also means RL club would never have an appropriate SL stadium either unless one could be updated. 

I think it’s good news. Being third fiddle in a stadium played in by two (currently) more popular teams would probably be no good (from an outsiders point of view). 

37 minutes ago, Jughead said:

When did Rugby League start using Rugby Union’s criteria for top level stadiums? And why are we getting ahead of ourselves regarding Cornwall as a club?

Where is it that RL are starting to use RU criteria?

Where are we getting ahead of ourselves re. Cornwall?

1 minute ago, tiffers said:

Where is it that RL are starting to use RU criteria?

Where are we getting ahead of ourselves re. Cornwall?

A poster above ruled out a rugby union stadiums being used at the elite level of RL because it had been denied by RU. 

Talking of Cornwall and what stadiums will be Super League level is getting ahead of ourselves considering they’ve played about twelve games, are very, very new and haven’t made the outlandish claims of Toronto or Newcastle. 

3 minutes ago, Jughead said:

A poster above ruled out a rugby union stadiums being used at the elite level of RL because it had been denied by RU. 

Talking of Cornwall and what stadiums will be Super League level is getting ahead of ourselves considering they’ve played about twelve games, are very, very new and haven’t made the outlandish claims of Toronto or Newcastle. 

I think the crux of it is that there are very few stadiums in Cornwall that are up to scratch with a few thousand capacity. Almost exclusively all of them have old, decaying facilities and all of them are owned by RU clubs or football clubs. So I dont think it is outrageous to be talking about Cornwall's options, if things did grow and develop in the coming few years. Bearing in mind they have been getting around 1k at the mo, it doesn't leave you with too many options, especially considering how friendly (or not) the RU clubs are.

The S4C presented a stadium that would be fit for top flight rugby of either code. Albeit Cornwall are no where near that level yet, it would present an easier, less capital expensive option in the future. As it now stands, Cornwall would have to find the capital to pay for an existing stadium (those owned by RU/football clubs as per Penryn) to be enhanced in order to meet SL criteria. That would have an impact on the business plan/investment requirements in the future.

Yes, that decision is a long way off at the moment. A hell of a long way off at the moment. But the S4C decision is a big one with respects to the impact on Cornwall's ambitions and growth down the line. They would be left just like the Cornish Pirates/Truro FC at the moment and looking at being forced out of county or having to find the investment.

As it stands, Penryn is fine for L1. I'd argue it probably would need looking at if they were ever to reach the Championship.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tiffers said:

I think the crux of it is that there are very few stadiums in Cornwall that are up to scratch with a few thousand capacity. Almost exclusively all of them have old, decaying facilities and all of them are owned by RU clubs or football clubs. So I dont think it is outrageous to be talking about Cornwall's options, if things did grow and develop in the coming few years. Bearing in mind they have been getting around 1k at the mo, it doesn't leave you with too many options, especially considering how friendly (or not) the RU clubs are.

The S4C presented a stadium that would be fit for top flight rugby of either code. Albeit Cornwall are no where near that level yet, it would present an easier, less capital expensive option in the future. As it now stands, Cornwall would have to find the capital to pay for an existing stadium (those owned by RU/football clubs as per Penryn) to be enhanced in order to meet SL criteria. That would have an impact on the business plan/investment requirements in the future.

Yes, that decision is a long way off at the moment. A hell of a long way off at the moment. But the S4C decision is a big one with respects to the impact on Cornwall's ambitions and growth down the line. They would be left just like the Cornish Pirates/Truro FC at the moment and looking at being forced out of county or having to find the investment.

As it stands, Penryn is fine for L1. I'd argue it probably would need looking at if they were ever to reach the Championship.

According to the articles, it seems like there's a plan B for Truro City of a 6000 capacity stadium largely made up of temporary stands. To be honest, that sounds pretty much like what Salford are looking at at Moor Lane, so it could be good enough for Cornwall RL to keep growing over the next few years, especially if Pirates give up their full-time ambitions. 

2 hours ago, Jughead said:

What outlandish claims did Toronto or Newcastle make? 

They were/are ambitious clubs who backed their ambition with significant amounts of their ownders' money.

It's what we need more of in rugby league and I hope Cornwall do the same. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

They were/are ambitious clubs who backed their ambition with significant amounts of their ownders' money.

Ambition is a good thing. All too often its a dirty word in RL and we look to stifle it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Toronto made many about how important they were, how they’d do this or that, take games here or there, stamped their feet about salary caps and Newcastle have set themselves a target of achieving Super League status by a certain period, which is pretty wild because the claim come well before they were even a full-time team. 

Thankfully, the approach at Cornwall is very different to Toronto’s and isn’t as ludicrous as Newcastle’s was. 

Ambition is fine but it’s got to be realistic  (Toronto’s was built on lies and Newcastle’s was unrealistic and remains so) and Cornwall are certainly going about things the right way initially, though if they’re serious, assets and bottom up growth is certainly the way to go. 

4 hours ago, Jughead said:

"Outlandish claims" of Toronto who had crowds considerably bigger than most SL teams whilst in the championship.  And as for Toronto being based on lies, there was this thing called a global pandemic, that occured during the season in which they had to pull the plug - you might have heard about it.

Edited by Hello

27 minutes ago, Hello said:

"Outlandish claims" of Toronto who had crowds considerably bigger than most SL teams whilst in the championship.  And as for Toronto being based on lies, there was this thing called a global pandemic, that occured during the season in which they had to pull the plug - you might have heard about it.

I won’t go over old ground on Toronto but the lies and failure to pay people happened long before the pandemic ever took hold. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I won’t go over old ground on Toronto but the lies and failure to pay people happened long before the pandemic ever took hold. 

There were one or two deferrals of payment because of admin issues that were ultimately paid anyway in due course.  If there was any true problem then the players wouldn't have signed on the line to play there.  Covid obviously killed most of Toronto's income streams, resulting in the admitedly ultimate non-payment of players in their final season, but without covid they would have had a whole series of home games to come with all attendant revenue.  The fact that pre-covid they actually asked to be able to extend the salary cap to be able to pay even more to their players kills dead in the water this non-payment of bills bs argument that the expansion-haters love to use.  Some people just seem to be firmly against the presentation of opportunity for fresh areas to expand the sport, I can't realate to that mentality at all to be honest.  In the modern world of sport it's surely expand or contract (die).

Edited by Hello
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

According to the articles, it seems like there's a plan B for Truro City of a 6000 capacity stadium largely made up of temporary stands. To be honest, that sounds pretty much like what Salford are looking at at Moor Lane, so it could be good enough for Cornwall RL to keep growing over the next few years, especially if Pirates give up their full-time ambitions. 

Out of interest, where did you see the 6k, temporary stands proposal? That would be very interesting in terms of being acceptable to play in SL.

I'm still of the opinion that staying at Penryn and looking for the appropriate capital investment in expanding the Mem Ground is the best option for Cornwall longer term. I appreciate I say this with zero understanding of the terms in which Cornwall are on at Penryn. However, the power dynamics are very different vs. trying to tie-in with Truro FC/Pirates. Perhaps that might change if Cornwall RL were ever to get into the SL, given the exposure that would bring. Although, the largest part of the funds would come from Durkin and as such, he would call the shots on who gets what.

2 minutes ago, Hello said:

There were one or two deferrals of payment because of admin issues that were ultimately paid anyway in due course.  If there was any true problem then the players wouldn't have signed on the line to play there.  Covid obviously killed most of Toronto's income streams.  The fact that pre-covid they actually asked to be able to extend the salary cap to be able to pay even more to their players kills dead in the water this non-payment of bills bs argument that the expansion-haters love to use.  Some people just seem to be firmly against the presentation of opportunity for fresh areas to expand the sport, I can't realate to that mentality at all to be honest.  In the modern world of sport it's surely expand or contract (die).

I’m not sure them wanting the salary cap extended is in any way linked to them paying bills, something they weren’t doing prior to promotion. Businesses here in the UK and Canada taking legal routes to getting the money owed to them cannot be seen as “bs” either. This sympathy towards them on this matter would not have been the case if they were from somewhere less exotic along the 62. 

2 hours ago, Jughead said:

Toronto made many about how important they were, how they’d do this or that, take games here or there, stamped their feet about salary caps and Newcastle have set themselves a target of achieving Super League status by a certain period, which is pretty wild because the claim come well before they were even a full-time team. 

Thankfully, the approach at Cornwall is very different to Toronto’s and isn’t as ludicrous as Newcastle’s was. 

Ambition is fine but it’s got to be realistic  (Toronto’s was built on lies and Newcastle’s was unrealistic and remains so) and Cornwall are certainly going about things the right way initially, though if they’re serious, assets and bottom up growth is certainly the way to go. 

Bottom up growth will get Cornwall nowhere. Surely we've learned that by now. Eric Perez certainly has. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Worthless for Cornwall RU who need 10k so cant see them putting a penny in. 

Cornwall RU own Truro City and it seems they're the ones pushing the plan B to save the football club. I think they are also implicitly accepting they're not getting into the rugby premiership anytime soon, so a temporary solution is OK for now. 

Whether all this turmoil is good or bad for Cornwall RL I'm just not sure. Feels like at this point they'd be better investing in the team and piggybacking on any new stadium as a tenant, than ploughing cash directly into the stadium. 

Hard to know what the right call is until we know what structure IMG will put forward for the next decade. 

9 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

Cornwall RU own Truro City and it seems they're the ones pushing the plan B to save the football club. I think they are also implicitly accepting they're not getting into the rugby premiership anytime soon, so a temporary solution is OK for now. 

Whether all this turmoil is good or bad for Cornwall RL I'm just not sure. Feels like at this point they'd be better investing in the team and piggybacking on any new stadium as a tenant, than ploughing cash directly into the stadium. 

Hard to know what the right call is until we know what structure IMG will put forward for the next decade. 

No doubt the IMG plan is key to understanding what the longer term plans and ambitions will look like for Cornwall.

Providing they are considered for the new structure and included, I would argue that getting further into bed with Penryn RU is the solution. The Mem is a 4k official capacity already, so fine for Championship RL. But it wouldn't take masses more effort (or investment) to get in some temporary seating and extend that to 6k or whatever the SL criteria would be. The power dynamics mean they would surely be in a better position than trying to negotiate a 3-way share with Durkin who holds all the cards. 

20 minutes ago, tiffers said:

No doubt the IMG plan is key to understanding what the longer term plans and ambitions will look like for Cornwall.

Providing they are considered for the new structure and included, I would argue that getting further into bed with Penryn RU is the solution. The Mem is a 4k official capacity already, so fine for Championship RL. But it wouldn't take masses more effort (or investment) to get in some temporary seating and extend that to 6k or whatever the SL criteria would be. The power dynamics mean they would surely be in a better position than trying to negotiate a 3-way share with Durkin who holds all the cards. 

I suppose the problem is that we shouldnt be aiming for new clubs that can get less than 6k. The ambition should be more ibs with 5 figure crowds. 

Adding another 5k team in SL won't necessarily mean success even if they are from a new area geographically. 

I suppose if they are going to be in SL with small crowds they need to offer something strong in terms of commercial and player development pathways.