The Cornwall RLFC Thread

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I suppose the problem is that we shouldnt be aiming for new clubs that can get less than 6k. The ambition should be more ibs with 5 figure crowds. 

Adding another 5k team in SL won't necessarily mean success even if they are from a new area geographically. 

I suppose if they are going to be in SL with small crowds they need to offer something strong in terms of commercial and player development pathways. 

There is more than enough physical space at the Mem to build a larger than 6k stadium, I was just referring to the comparison with the S4C. If you had a limitless budget you could easily build something permanent and significantly bigger in Penryn. Even if you did it on the cheap you could put in temporary stands that would be well in excess of 6k.

See below the physical dimensions you are looking at:
https://www.google.com/maps/@50.1658984,-5.1175387,327m/data=!3m1!1e3

There is ample space.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Fair point but we also have to think tv deal.  Yes ideally some euromillons winner comes in to build a New challenger. 

Outside of that 5k clubs but geographically spread around country  (London Cornwall ) combined with internationals gives the sport a much wider reach for tv audiences and commercial income. 

The principle is sound, but does adding Cornwall make a material change to TV viewers? 

Because there has never been any evidence that London's presence has added viewers at significant levels. 

There is a fair argument that strong clubs wherever they are based can be a success as a TV product. 

There are many arguments in favour of geographical expansion, but we should be aiming for big clubs, not clubs like our weaker ones now. 

25 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I suppose the problem is that we shouldnt be aiming for new clubs that can get less than 6k. The ambition should be more ibs with 5 figure crowds. 

Adding another 5k team in SL won't necessarily mean success even if they are from a new area geographically. 

I suppose if they are going to be in SL with small crowds they need to offer something strong in terms of commercial and player development pathways. 

I assume we're taking about in a licensing situation. For me the question is would it be better to have, say, 5k in Newcastle or York (or Wakefield) but the "potential" to grow, or 6k capped in Cornwall. 

The word "potential" tends to do an awful lot of heavy lifting in rugby league, whereas having the word "Cornwall" linked to Superleague every week would do a lot for perception of us being a national sport. I think it should count for something, at least.

42 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Cornwall currently get 1k at the bottom of League 1 without a home win.  So we definitely have proof of concept. Plus we now know they wont face any professional competition for at least a decade. 

It's proof that people everywhere can like rugby league. It's not proof, yet, that Cornwall can develop into a financially sustainable team in the longer term.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Fair point.  Lets say they need a playing budget of 400k to be competitive at championship level ( being miles from heartlands) Thats 600k needed.  So can they get enough in Sponsors, central income and ticket sales to hit that? 

I think it can be viable at Champ but not League 1 however League 1 isnt going to exist. 

Challenge Cup entry next year which if they can get on the telly might boost the profile.  

If you're outside the heartlands you need a full-time squad even to be mid-table in the Championship. Broncos and Newcastle have shown us that just this year. So that's closer to a million for players, stadium hire, non playing staff, offices etc. 

Cornwall have made a great start but the financial reality is harsh and investors will need to make a significant commitment if it's going to work. 

Perez knows the reality, so I'm at least optimistic that he has a plan, unlike the guy at WWR who seems to be hoping that something will turn up to change the clubs fortunes. 

• 2 months later...
33 minutes ago, Damien said:

I love this image that Cornwall have put on social media. The spread of clubs is great and it is really positive. It also puts the moans of clubs having 1 trip to Cornwall into some context:

FB_IMG_1663055327326.jpg

Interesting that that would be close to the least distance any NRL club travels in a season.

In 2018 the Roosters traveled just 6517 miles. The least of every NRL team for the season.

new rise.jpg

Without wanting to direct this thread in a particular way, League One’s geographic spread over the past ten years has been pretty varied and interesting, it’s a shame some clubs aren’t around anymore.

To have had third tier games in London, Hemel Hempstead, Oxford, Cheltenham, Cornwall, Coventry, Newcastle, Toulouse, Toronto, York, Llanelli and Wrexham shows we aren’t scared of trying new things. 

• Like 4

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Cornishknocker said:

Looking forward to our second season, and our first challenge cup game against Rochdale Mayfield in a few weeks

If other L1 teams and their supporters think that Cornwall RLFC in 2023 will be at the same level as last year, they are in for a surprise.

Lots of familiar faces which bodes well for cohesion and continuity, but also some new guys who are training really well as I understand it. If we can keep the injury count low we'll be causing lots of trouble as the season goes on.

• Like 14

2 hours ago, ChristianB said:

If other L1 teams and their supporters think that Cornwall RLFC in 2023 will be at the same level as last year, they are in for a surprise.

Lots of familiar faces which bodes well for cohesion and continuity, but also some new guys who are training really well as I understand it. If we can keep the injury count low we'll be causing lots of trouble as the season goes on.

Cornwall seem a viable option on and off the field. 

• Like 7

18 hours ago, ChristianB said:

Are any of the new lads people we're likely to know of or are they all locals who're hoping to make the step across/up?

Also, I enjoyed watching a few of your matches on OuRLeague last year, is that something that's happening again this time?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

Are any of the new lads people we're likely to know of or are they all locals who're hoping to make the step across/up?

Also, I enjoyed watching a few of your matches on OuRLeague last year, is that something that's happening again this time?

A mix of both, and there are a few more to be announced in the near future. 

I think our spine will be very strong this year, but I'm most looking forward to seeing a few of the local lads progress - guys like Brad Howe who came to us halfway through last season and has a lot of prop potential.

As for live streaming, I have no idea at the moment I'm afraid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Best thing for Cornwall RU would be in the RFL team do well so that the RFU get worried and don´t lock Cornwall RU out. So I can see them all moving in at some stage. 

What's Cornwall RU got to do with it?

6 hours ago, iffleyox said:

Only slight watch out there is Truro City being owned by Cornish Pirates RU…

Truro city have been after a new ground for 20 odd years. I think the first planning application was early 2000s but had been talked about long before. I remember the pirates as Penzance-Newlyn and their ground was a dump. 

Any issue and they could move to Lanson, polson bridge would be a lovely ground after a bit of paint.

32 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Because they would own the ground Cornwall rl would hypothetically play at . So considering whether they would allow is important.

You've confused things. Cornwall RU is the county. As in the team for the county championship and admin. Cornish pirates are a club in Cornwall.

• 4 weeks later...