The Cornwall RLFC Thread

Another good day at the Mem.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and there are things that need work on the playing side, but the organisation has definitely set up a good match day experience. Lots of energy and good fun for a fiver.

Penryn.gif

• Like 13

6 hours ago, SB1 said:

Rome wasn't built in a day, and there are things that need work on the playing side, but the organisation has definitely set up a good match day experience. Lots of energy and good fun for a fiver.

Penryn.gif

Aaronson’s try alone was worth a fiver.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SB1 said:

Penryn.gif

Sounded like the crowd got well into it after that fantastic long range try, great stuff.

• Like 2

Cornwall are doing loads right but I do hope they don't miss a great opportunity to build something great by ignoring the playing side. I'm sure their fans aren't expecting miracles but they'll be lucky to win a game all season with their current squad and need to reinvest their match day revenue in building a better squad. Easier said than done I know. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Cornwall are doing loads right but I do hope they don't miss a great opportunity to build something great by ignoring the playing side. I'm sure their fans aren't expecting miracles but they'll be lucky to win a game all season with their current squad and need to reinvest their match day revenue in building a better squad. Easier said than done I know. 

Indeed, we need to be able to say this without being howled down as doomsters. We have decades now of examples of what works and what doesn't outside the heartland so this concern isn't without a basis.

Cornwall are doing loads right, and have a favourable Identity and location which they've converted into decent early interest. We all want them to succeed. But there's no example of a non heartland club thriving in the longer term without substantial investment in the playing side, especially one that's such an isolated outpost.

Perez of course knows this, and my hope is that he is biding his time and has a plan for the right moment.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, SB1 said:

Penryn.gif

Do many Union fans come and watch.

6 hours ago, EggFace said:

Do many Union fans come and watch.

Yeah, plenty. I'm one of them. I'm only a spectator but from the outside looking in, Penryn really do their best to facilitate the Cornwall games.

It is good to be able to watch some decent level League down here - I only ever watched SL on Sky Sports, beginning in the late 1990s on Friday nights so it was a bit distant if that makes sense.

Another factor is that Penryn are blessed with plenty of space for parking and the signposting is pretty good around the ground.

The thing I notice is threefold:

1) People who have moved to Cornwall from elsewhere who can now watch live RL on their doorstep.

2) Locals who want to watch sport (including those who have been longtime RL fans)

3) Away fans or fans on holiday who want to watch the game.

The good thing about it is that it fits in well with the Union season winding down from April, so you can watch the Pirates (RU) in the winter and we get to watch RL in the summer. It's a win/win with no league football to speak of.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Watching the match, I notice that one of their players (number 15) didn't even know that he had to tap the ball when taking a free kick. He seemed to think a free kick meant he could just start running with the ball.   🤨

Instead of awarding a scrum to Mayfield, the ref benevolently whistled them up and told him to go back and take the free kick again. It was like he was dealing with a bunch of 7 year olds playing Saturday morning footy. 😆

It really doesn't say much for the standard of our 3rd Tier when players don't know even the most basic rules. 

I was not surprised they were beaten by an amateur team. 

Edited by Madrileño
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Madrileño said:

Watching the match, I notice that one of their players (number 15) didn't even know that he had to tap the ball when taking a free kick. He seemed to think a free kick meant he could just start running with the ball.   🤨

Instead of awarding a scrum to Mayfield, the ref benevolently whistled them up and told him to go back and take the free kick again. It was like he was dealing with a bunch of 7 year olds playing Saturday morning footy. 😆

It really doesn't say much for the standard of our 3rd Tier when players don't know even the most basic rules. 

I was not surprised they were beaten by an amateur team. 

You mean this guy...
https://cornwallrlfc.co.uk/squad/tom-ashton/

"

Salford born, Ashton started the season as a regular with Rochdale and bagged a fine hat-trick in the away triumph at London Skolars. However, after a number of weeks out of the first team squad, he opted to ;eave Spotland.

Prior to plying his trade for Rochdale, Ashton has previously represented Hunslet, Oldham, Dewsbury and Sheffield Eagles. He also spent his formative years playing rugby union in the academy structure at Sale Sharks.

Clearly in your books he's an absolute novice that shouldn't be playing the game seeing as he has no pedigree for RL at all... 🙈

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Going to finally get to my first Cornwall game on 26th March against London Skolars. We go and see family down there a couple of times a year but the fixtures didn't fall for us last season. I'm really looking forward to seeing the set up and seeing how the locals are taking to it. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, WN83 said:

Going to finally get to my first Cornwall game on 26th March against London Skolars. We go and see family down there a couple of times a year but the fixtures didn't fall for us last season. I'm really looking forward to seeing the set up and seeing how the locals are taking to it. 

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The club did a great job last year and again on Saturday afternoon.

The Skolars @Penryn last year was one of the best games of the season. Here's hoping this one is a cracker too!

Just now, Damien said:

No RL fan or player ever calls it a free kick Yorkshire Knight.

You have absolutely no idea.

I refrained from calling it a tap because then I would have said "tap the ball when taking a tap".

The fact that you are referring to me by the name of another poster shows how utterly ignorant you are. 

I am pretty sure you have never been on the pitch. If you had ever coached young kids, you would know the value of an L1 referee course in whatever country you are based in. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tiffers said:

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The club did a great job last year and again on Saturday afternoon.

The Skolars @Penryn last year was one of the best games of the season. Here's hoping this one is a cracker too!

Lets hope so mate. A few beers and a bit of Rugby League, in my favourite area of the UK. There's not much you can't like about that.

Cornwalls biggest threat to future success and this is something that is essential. Lack of players committing to long term by moving down. Last week as hurricanes we heard apparently they are training up country and most players still live north.

Any club at any level needs stability of squad which means players hanging around. I feel it's still seen as a stop gap until they get a contract 'locally'

19 minutes ago, Midlands hobo said:

Cornwalls biggest threat to future success and this is something that is essential. Lack of players committing to long term by moving down. Last week as hurricanes we heard apparently they are training up country and most players still live north.

Any club at any level needs stability of squad which means players hanging around. I feel it's still seen as a stop gap until they get a contract 'locally'

Do you know where they are training?

The quickest part of rugby-league-land to get to from Penryn must be Warrington area and that is more than 5.5 hours drive. If they split the distance and trained somewhere about half way you would still have northern and Cornish players driving over 2.25 hours for training on evenings after finishing their day jobs. That doesn't seem very practical.

If they have separate Cornwall and northern training sessions, that's not going to do a lot for team cohesion.

1 hour ago, Midlands hobo said:

Purely for avoidance of doubt: not true.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

Do you know where they are training?

The quickest part of rugby-league-land to get to from Penryn must be Warrington area and that is more than 5.5 hours drive. If they split the distance and trained somewhere about half way you would still have northern and Cornish players driving over 2.25 hours for training on evenings after finishing their day jobs. That doesn't seem very practical.

If they have separate Cornwall and northern training sessions, that's not going to do a lot for team cohesion.

They’ll be lucky. Have to drive at 2 in the morning to avoid the multiple delights of the M6, M5 and everything in between.

Not sure if this got the attention it deserves but a very good sponsorship if it lasts. Looks like tge travelling is covered. 

https://www.loganair.co.uk/our-story/latest-news/2023/airline-partnership-takes-off-for-cornwall-rugby-team/

• Like 3

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910