Jump to content

The Cornwall RLFC Thread


Recommended Posts

On 13/01/2022 at 18:53, Eddie said:

Why do people say they want the Cornwall team to play games in Devon? Devon and Cornwall are different places, it’s like saying you want London Skolars to play some home games in Cromer. 

I wouldn't be against that 😄

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 13/01/2022 at 18:53, Eddie said:

Why do people say they want the Cornwall team to play games in Devon? Devon and Cornwall are different places, it’s like saying you want London Skolars to play some home games in Cromer. 

It was me who asked about it. There was a groundshare between Truro and Torquay a couple of years ago so there has been previous co-operation between the counties. 

Also Toronto were planning on playing a game in Copenhagen I think. And did one of the established sides, Wigan maybe, play a home game far away?

I understand your point but I did get a reply from Christian on here who said in the future it might be possible. 

 

Edited by Niels
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good luck Cornwall.  A hot bed of Union players so hopefully they can put a decent squad together and be competitive 

in terms of helping them develop a pre season game against a big name SL club would help generate some interest.  I know the seasons may not be in sync but surely Saints,Wigan, Leeds etc could send a reserve team  Anyone know what their pre season plans are

Also would be good if the hot/cold balls in the cup draw gave them a plum home tie on tv

Should be an interesting year

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Niels said:

There was a groundshare between Truro and Torquay a couple of years ago so there has been previous co-operation between the counties. 

Very much under duress that one, though.

  • Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, headtackle said:

Good luck Cornwall.  A hot bed of Union players so hopefully they can put a decent squad together and be competitive 

in terms of helping them develop a pre season game against a big name SL club would help generate some interest.  I know the seasons may not be in sync but surely Saints,Wigan, Leeds etc could send a reserve team  Anyone know what their pre season plans are

Also would be good if the hot/cold balls in the cup draw gave them a plum home tie on tv

Should be an interesting year

Cornwall are not entering the cup this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, headtackle said:

Ah my mistake.  Not been following it that closely.  
something pre season for them would help though.  Who knows might be easier for a French club to pop over

They have no preseason friendlies planned and it's not in the interest of the French clubs to travel over and play a team which seems to largely consist of amateur union players.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/01/2022 at 23:14, Niels said:

It was me who asked about it. There was a groundshare between Truro and Torquay a couple of years ago so there has been previous co-operation between the counties. 

Also Toronto were planning on playing a game in Copenhagen I think. And did one of the established sides, Wigan maybe, play a home game far away?

I understand your point but I did get a reply from Christian on here who said in the future it might be possible. 

 

London Broncos have certainly played a lot of home game far from London. Not a good advert for the idea.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/01/2022 at 10:14, RP London said:

Another signing... all of them appearing on BBC Rugby League page which is good

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/60045930

Paul Bolger joining.

looking at that guys picture it looks like he belongs in cornwall 

  • Haha 1

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another Cornish born player signs:

Kyle Johns has become the third Cornish player to sign for Cornwall RLFC.

The 26-year-old St Austell-born player featured for South West Students while at university in Wales and attended trials for the club last week.

Johns is the sixth player to sign for the newly formed League One club.

"Every rugby player from Cornwall dreams of finally getting this kind of exposure and I am overwhelmed. I can't wait to get cracking," Johns told the club website.

Kyle Johns: Cornwall RLFC sign third Cornish-born player - BBC Sport

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 18/01/2022 at 00:14, Niels said:

It was me who asked about it. There was a groundshare between Truro and Torquay a couple of years ago so there has been previous co-operation between the counties. 

Also Toronto were planning on playing a game in Copenhagen I think. And did one of the established sides, Wigan maybe, play a home game far away?

I understand your point but I did get a reply from Christian on here who said in the future it might be possible.

May I ask where you heard that?

  • Like 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

May I ask where you heard that?

Hi Bob, I hope you are well? Nice to near from you🙂

I read it in the Guardian a few years ago. I have managed to find a link for you. 

In retrospect I suppose we don't know how serious this was and whether it would have occurred had the team continued. 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/oct/06/toronto-wolfpack-rugby-league-europe-cities-million-pound-game

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cornwall playing games in Devon is a ridiculous concept. The Cornish need to stick to Cornwall, that way they can do their cream tea with the jam first, the wrong uns. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

And so we shall again…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Niels said:

Hi Bob, I hope you are well? Nice to near from you🙂

I read it in the Guardian a few years ago. I have managed to find a link for you. 

In retrospect I suppose we don't know how serious this was and whether it would have occurred had the team continued. 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/oct/06/toronto-wolfpack-rugby-league-europe-cities-million-pound-game

Not much in all, but I will tell you the story if we catch up ever! 😄

  • Thanks 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, The Future is League said:

I presume and hope that Cornwall is also trialing players who have been playing student Rugby League

Several of the signings have been student players at Gloucestershire.

Although, there are very few SW-based university teams. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Niels said:

Hi Bob, I hope you are well? Nice to near from you🙂

I read it in the Guardian a few years ago. I have managed to find a link for you. 

In retrospect I suppose we don't know how serious this was and whether it would have occurred had the team continued. 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/oct/06/toronto-wolfpack-rugby-league-europe-cities-million-pound-game

Actually, would you pm me. I would like to tell you a lot more about it.

  • Thanks 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/01/2022 at 23:14, Niels said:

It was me who asked about it. There was a groundshare between Truro and Torquay a couple of years ago so there has been previous co-operation between the counties. 

Also Toronto were planning on playing a game in Copenhagen I think. And did one of the established sides, Wigan maybe, play a home game far away?

I understand your point but I did get a reply from Christian on here who said in the future it might be possible. 

 

Torquay United hated Truro being there. The pitch was awful. I don't think Plainmoor could fit a full size rugby league pitch. I think Devon Sharks looked into it.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

And so we shall again…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...