The Cornwall RLFC Thread

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Thanks, I’d just googled that. Nice nickname, but not very fearsome. 

They are synonymous with Cornwall. All-but disappeared, but making a comeback thanks to conservation efforts. You can often see them - and hear them - on the clifftops around Lizard Point, Godrevy, and St. Just in Penwith. Fabulous birds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ChristianB said:

I do hope lots will still make the journey. There are so many great reasons to spend a couple of days in this part of Cornwall, and I am in no doubt that they will return each season thereafter.

Addendum: unless we get promoted. 😉

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Eddie said:

I may be showing my ignorance here, but what are Choughs? 

Surely you know this... in Sheffield its someone who is a bit of a ****.. but you can use it in polite company. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Simon Grix sounded disappointed 2 weeks ago when Fax announced that Whitton had asked to be released so he could go back to play with his mates at Siddal.

I wonder what Halifax make of this signing!

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

They won’t have a team ready in time apparently. 

14 signings announced (by a very quick count).

Someone smarter than me should fiddle about to get a likely starting thirteen together to see if there are any obvious gaps.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Someone smarter than me should fiddle about to get a likely starting thirteen together to see if there are any obvious gaps.

They’ll have more signings than that by the time the L1 season kicks off. 

Just now, Eddie said:

They’ll have more signings than that by the time the L1 season kicks off. 

Would still be good to see how the side could line up.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Whitton makes 15. Still a few short with only 5 weeks to the season start. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

Simon Grix sounded disappointed 2 weeks ago when Fax announced that Whitton had asked to be released so he could go back to play with his mates at Siddal.

I wonder what Halifax make of this signing!

Apparently, he want to play, and his chances at the Shay were limited.  i can't imagine Simon Grix would have objected had he gone directly to Cornwall.  Obviously, I know nothing, but looking from outside, it looks like he asked to be released so he could at least have game time at Siddal, then Cornwall saw his realease and saw an opportunity.  Cornwall wouldn't necessarily had any thoughts of him being available until he was released.

Or, you might be right and Halifax may feel aggrieved, but as he was only a fringe player... And 20 yrs old with an opportunity to move to Cornwall and try something new, I can't fault the lad.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jughead said:

But isn’t there a concern they won’t start the season like plenty on here said? 

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

They won’t have a team ready in time apparently. 

For the avoidance of doubt and to nip rumours in the bud, Cornwall RLFC will be (a) starting the season (b) with a squad.

Follow them on one of the social media channels for bang up-to-date news.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChristianB said:

For the avoidance of doubt and to nip rumours in the bud, Cornwall RLFC will be (a) starting the season (b) with a squad.

Follow them on one of the social media channels for bang up-to-date news.

We were both being sarcastic mate, I know Cornwall will be starting the season and it looks like they’re putting a decent squad together, which will disappoint some on this forum. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

We were both being sarcastic mate, I know Cornwall will be starting the season and it looks like they’re putting a decent squad together, which will disappoint some on this forum. 

If they can get a squad of 20+ together they can fill West Wales subs bench when they head over there.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Which is vital when this starts.  Could see them making the play offs . Beating Skolars WWR Midlands and nabbing a few results against the northern six. 

Give over! Cornwall has done well to pull together a squad but they haven't played together yet and will likely start slow. They also have little RL experience across the whole squad so will struggle. Likely they'll beat West Wales and if they pick up any other wins that would be seen as a success for a brand new club in a brand new area. 

I'm not saying this to put Cornwall down, I feel they've made a lot of positive noises. However, there's no point building them up or sugar coating the job they have at hand. It will be a tough first year for them but there are some positive signs. 

Edited by OriginalMrC
  • Like 3