Would the Nrl benefit from a English style second division ?

I believe a second division would benefit the nrl hugely, it could look like :

PNG hunters , Cairns Pride , Mackay  cutters , Central Queensland capras , Norths brisbane , Easts brisbane , Ipwitch jets , Wynnum manly , Sunshine coast ,burleigh bears ,North sydney , Newtown jets ,Wyong roos , NZ 1 ,NZ 2 , Perth pirates , Adelaide rams, West sydney magpies , Act team ,Illawarra Steelers , mounties .

This would replace the Qld and Nsw comp and give the nrl a reserve grade comp that could one day have its own Tv rights Deal .

Every Nrl team would have a deal in place for its players that don't make the 18 each week .

it would also give the expansion areas a chance to build a case to be moved into the nrl .

I like this idea for the sheer fact that i could see this 2nd division one day going fully pro , two professional competition in the Australia Nz area would increase the quality of players and grow the game.

The 2nd division would have to have salary cap .

Would love a discussion on this .

15 minutes ago, NQ living said:

PNG hunters , Cairns Pride , Mackay  cutters , Central Queensland capras , Norths brisbane , Easts brisbane , Ipwitch jets , Wynnum manly , Sunshine coast ,burleigh bears ,North sydney , Newtown jets ,Wyong roos , NZ 1 ,NZ 2 , Perth pirates , Adelaide rams, West sydney magpies , Act team ,Illawarra Steelers , mounties .

The ACT already has an NRL team.

However, if we had the talent and infrastructure, I wouldn’t be opposed to a second division. I think I’d prefer conferences though.

41 minutes ago, NQ living said:

No

42 minutes ago, NQ living said:

I believe a second division would benefit the nrl hugely, it could look like :

I assume you didn't mean to have 21 teams but some combination, possibly including these teams. Who's going to pay the airfares? If we assume the crowds will be smaller than NRL and the sponsorships will be lower, how would a team afford trips from Sydney to PNG, Perth, Cairns and NZ x 2, plus all the others?

47 minutes ago, NQ living said:

This would replace the Qld and Nsw comp and give the nrl a reserve grade comp that could one day have its own Tv rights Deal .

The NRL already has 2 reserve grade comps called the NSW and Qld Cup and both of these already have their own broadcasting deals and streaming arrangements from their own club sites in some cases.

49 minutes ago, NQ living said:

Every Nrl team would have a deal in place for its players that don't make the 18 each week .

Every NRL team already has a deal in place for spare squad players. They play in the QLD and NSW Cups.

51 minutes ago, NQ living said:

it would also give the expansion areas a chance to build a case to be moved into the nrl .

It would also give the expansion areas a chance to waste huge amounts on air fares that could have been spent on junior development.

Here is why we don't have English-style division structures in Australian sports:

Map-of-Australia-compared-with-other-nat

38 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

No

I assume you didn't mean to have 21 teams but some combination, possibly including these teams. Who's going to pay the airfares? If we assume the crowds will be smaller than NRL and the sponsorships will be lower, how would a team afford trips from Sydney to PNG, Perth, Cairns and NZ x 2, plus all the others?

The NRL already has 2 reserve grade comps called the NSW and Qld Cup and both of these already have their own broadcasting deals and streaming arrangements from their own club sites in some cases.

Every NRL team already has a deal in place for spare squad players. They play in the QLD and NSW Cups.

It would also give the expansion areas a chance to waste huge amounts on air fares that could have been spent on junior development.

Here is why we don't have English-style division structures in Australian sports:

Your map's broken M8.

Those places aren't in Australia.

People called Romans they go the house

I won’t say it will never happen, but no top level sport in Australia has ever done P&R and the NRL is unlikely to pioneer it.

my guess is within the next 10-15 years, the national football league (the A-League) will be the first sport to implement P&R. If it succeeds, other sports may follow.

50 minutes ago, goldcoaster said:

I won’t say it will never happen, but no top level sport in Australia has ever done P&R and the NRL is unlikely to pioneer it.

my guess is within the next 10-15 years, the national football league (the A-League) will be the first sport to implement P&R. If it succeeds, other sports may follow.

FFA will introduce it far sooner than that.

The key is that the NSW Cup and QCup already have decent broadcasting deals of their own. They serve a purpose in each state. RL is so big in those two states they really don't need to think outside the box as so many kids pick up a rugby ball. 

I think there should be NRL 2 however it should be effectively the rebranded NSW Cups and Qld Cups into conferences.

However, I would go a step further and suggest an 8 Team Pacific Conference with 5 City / Regional Teams in NZ (Canterbury, Wellington, Hamilton, Auckland 1 and Auckland 2) with Fiji, Samoa and Tonga teams added. 

Fiji is already in NSW, Samoa and Tongan teams would effectively be Auckland based. 

It should not be promotion / relegation however I would expect new teams to ce through the NRL 2. 

If both NSW and QLD Conferences stand at 12 each. The NRL 2 could have 30 teams feeding what will soon be an 18 team NRL. 

16 hours ago, Farmduck said:

No

Think your maps out of scale lad- Germany around half as big as the UK and a 3rd larger than NZ - you have Germany looking about the same size as Wigan...

17 hours ago, Farmduck said:

No

Edited for accuracy

downloadfile~2.png

16 hours ago, MrPosh said:

Your map's broken M8.

Those places aren't in Australia.

Wrong! They're all in...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived