Emerald sponsorship

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Scubby said:

My guess is a couple of heads will roll and they will be back on board. I think this, coupled with political pressure, usually does the trick. It is a well trodden play hitting the pocket to get action.

What's this about?

4 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

The YCCC racism investigation. 

Which has, quite frankly, been an absolute cluster**** from start to finish. 

They'd have got away with it if they weren't an absolute bunch of racists whose racism has managed to drive anyone with an ounce of sense away from the club.

With regards to the sponsors, assuming Yorkshire don't directly own the ground then Emerald's deal won't be with them so I don't see how they can walk away.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

18 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

They'd have got away with it if they weren't an absolute bunch of racists whose racism has managed to drive anyone with an ounce of sense away from the club.

With regards to the sponsors, assuming Yorkshire don't directly own the ground then Emerald's deal won't be with them so I don't see how they can walk away.

No no no, you've misunderstood. It was all "banter". 🙄

As for the sponsorship, I'm not entirely sure who owns the "image rights" to the ground, given how the ownership has been carved up somewhat between Leeds CF&A, YCCC and Headingley North-South Stand Ltd. This is probably more @M j M territory.

34 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Oh goodie. Another bad news  "we're all doomed " topic. Not had one of those for what...5 seconds?  😃😃😃

It's a completely reasonable question to ask. 

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

22 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

As for the sponsorship, I'm not entirely sure who owns the "image rights" to the ground, given how the ownership has been carved up somewhat between Leeds CF&A, YCCC and Headingley North-South Stand Ltd. This is probably more @M j M territory.

Would be good to know.

Just done a little bit of reading and it appears it could be two separate sponsorships that are packaged as one. One with Yorkshire and one with Leeds. So, they could, it seems, walk away from Yorkshire but that *could* strengthen the branding of Leeds as it would then, if I'm reading this right, be simply the Emerald Headingly Rugby League Stadium. Yorkshire's bit would be unsponsored.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Would be good to know.

Just done a little bit of reading and it appears it could be two separate sponsorships that are packaged as one. One with Yorkshire and one with Leeds. So, they could, it seems, walk away from Yorkshire but that *could* strengthen the branding of Leeds as it would then, if I'm reading this right, be simply the Emerald Headingly Rugby League Stadium. Yorkshire's bit would be unsponsored.

Having done a bit of brand work in my time though, I'd be astonished if there wasn't a break clause which allows a sponsor to walk away from both if they feel that 'Sponsor Location' has become too toxic - at which point you'd have thought there was a liability on one of the sporting sides to recompense the other (or vice versa if the shoe was on the other foot for whatever reason).

That's the danger with packaging sponsorships really, all the moving parts depend on each other, and one of the moving parts is the sponsoring brand, so there really ought to be an option for them to walk away from both because of the actions of one other party, otherwise they leave themselves open to taking a reputation hit from those actions, with nowhere to go.

Certainly I would expect most contracts to look like that, and the ones I've worked with have done.

1 hour ago, whatmichaelsays said:

The whole plot is broken up but to keep it simple.

The two grounds are separate titles. 

The rugby ground is one with presumably Leeds Beckett holding a leasehold in the Rugby East Stand for classrooms. That title extends to include most of the car park and non-stand bits towards St Michael's lane (including for example the ambulance gap between the Cricket East Stand and old pavilion - which itself is part of the rugby ground side) and the car parks to the south/south west of the ground.

The Cricket Ground is pretty much everything there save for the East stand having a separate leasehold (presumably for the Hotel?).

The Northstand/Southstand is separate from both cricket and rugby sides and is broken up into about 4 leasehold titles and the freehold. Presumably that is the split agreed between the Rhinos and Yorkshire to share the facility.

So who knows. Both seem to be tied to the ground and both seem to have a shared interest in its naming rights.

Emerald's relationship with Leeds and Yorkshire was very much driven by Keith Howard who was a big fan. I was MCB/Emerald's audit manager for quite a few years in the early 2000s, so knew the people there quite well (the former FD in fact also happened to sit just in front of us in the old North Stand at Headingley).

Since Dr Howard died earlier in the year, I wonder who control has passed to or what their appetite for the investments in Leeds/Leeds Rhinos Foundation/Yorkshire/Opera North is going forward. They are really quite difficult things to justify in terms of actually aiming at the company's customers, such as they are. The Leeds Rhinos Foundation stuff might be one which survives as a good example of social responsibility type spending and a nice legacy for the company founder.

As to the practicalities of Headingley's sponsorship deal, it's not something I think anyone would want to unpick! The funds flow and presumably sponsorship agreement would involve three separate legal entities - YCCC for the cricket ground, Leeds for the RL ground and Headingley North-South Stand Ltd for the Emerald Stand and Emerald Suite.

I very much doubt they'd want to screw over the RL club even if they did want to distance themselves from Yorkshire so I don't think Leeds will be losing too much sleep over it.

18 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The statement itself confirms commitment to Leeds -

We have today taken the decision to remove our brand association with Yorkshire County Cricket Club and Headingley Stadium.

We do not tolerate any form of racism or discriminatory behaviour and the damaging effects this has. Our intention remains to continue a financial commitment to the stadium itself, which is also the home of Leeds Rhinos rugby, as we believe this supports the aims of diversity and inclusion in sport along with a range of charitable community endeavours. Emerald will however no longer sponsor Yorkshire County Cricket Club. We hope that YCCC will listen and respond with serious action to eradicate racism from the club and uphold the values we all expect.

This is a bit more extensive and more reassuring, as I read it, for the RL club.

We have today taken the decision to remove our brand association with Yorkshire County Cricket Club and Headingley Stadium.

We do not tolerate any form of racism or discriminatory behaviour and the damaging effects this has. Our intention remains to continue a financial commitment to the stadium itself, which is also the home of Leeds Rhinos rugby, as we believe this supports the aims of diversity and inclusion in sport along with a range of charitable community endeavours. Emerald will however no longer sponsor Yorkshire County Cricket Club. We hope that YCCC will listen and respond with serious action to eradicate racism from the club and uphold the values we all expect.

7 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Yes. Someone has to keep up the forum tradition of looking for problems everywhere.

This is a very significant cancellation of a sponsorship deal worth around £1m a year of which a large part, if not half (no idea how they split it), is revenue for an RL club. The discussion is relevant and newsworthy. If you don't like the concept of an internet forum then you're probably in the wrong place.

It seems like it was a very relevant question to ask. Good to see Emerald drawing a clear distinction between the Rhinos and YCCC.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Yes. Someone has to keep up the forum tradition of looking for problems everywhere.

Justified in this case, I think. Emerald could have distanced themselves from the whole of the Headingley complex to improve their brand image.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Now this one is just as, if not even more complicated - Tetley's are the beer sponsors for both clubs, easy enough to exit the YCCC bit. But those deals are tied in with the stadium-wide alcohol supply arrangement which is presumably why they need more negotiations to achieve their aims. I hope Hetherington wasn't planning on enjoying a bit of close-season down-time!

Yorkshire Tea have also pulled out from YCCC sponsorship too, although that was due to end soon anyway. I don't think they're a commercial partner of the Rhinos, though.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

If the OP had waited just a few hours for the confirmation from Emerald, he or she would have been able to post, "Great news! Emerald have shown great faith in Leeds Rhinos by continuling their sponsorship whilst at the same time pulling it from YCCC etc..." rather then spreading FUD.

9 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Really? And you have evidence of this? 

At the moment, the public are not aware, as far as I know, of what the findings were.  There are reports that 1 player used an offensive term, several times, a number of years ago. 

That does not make them "an absolute bunch of racists". 

"I saw Goody Good with the Devil!* 

Archived