Emerald sponsorship

9 hours ago, Scubby said:

My guess is a couple of heads will roll and they will be back on board. I think this, coupled with political pressure, usually does the trick. It is a well trodden play hitting the pocket to get action.

Might be a bit worse than that. This has turned into a major PR disaster, bordering on toxic. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Eddie said:

Blimey, it used to be in the same bracket as John Smiths, Stones and Boddies. Hopefully they’ve changed the recipe then. 

I mean it still is to an extent but it has also gone back to go forward being a cask type drink rather than a staple smooth tap like John Smiths for example.

The https://emeraldheadingleystadium/ website has been taken down. This is/was the entry point for all non-sporting events at the stadium.

So for now this thing is directly affecting the Rugby League club in a negative way.

The (Emerald) statement stressed: “Our intention remains to continue a financial commitment to the stadium itself, which is also the home of Leeds Rhinos rugby, as we believe this supports the aims of diversity and inclusion in sport along with a range of charitable community endeavours."

9 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I mean it still is to an extent but it has also gone back to go forward being a cask type drink rather than a staple smooth tap like John Smiths for example.

Tetley’s, John Smith’s and Worthington’s have always been fine if you can get them on draught - proper Tetley’s in particular has always been great. As you say it’s the smooth tap (and putting that in a can) that has trashed their brands.

46 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

Tetley’s, John Smith’s and Worthington’s have always been fine if you can get them on draught - proper Tetley’s in particular has always been great. As you say it’s the smooth tap (and putting that in a can) that has trashed their brands.

Much like Carlsberg (which is Tetley's parent company), who have also now invested in changing their status.

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

The (Emerald) statement stressed: “Our intention remains to continue a financial commitment to the stadium itself, which is also the home of Leeds Rhinos rugby, as we believe this supports the aims of diversity and inclusion in sport along with a range of charitable community endeavours."

That's already been posted and noted. Thanks though.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Much like Carlsberg (which is Tetley's parent company), who have also now invested in changing their status.

although Carlsberg in the UK is of course now a JV with Marstons (which highly, unusually, is really Wolverhampton and Dudley PLC - Banks's - who took over Marstons but decided Marstons name was better known so changed to it even as they moved everything not nailed down to Wolverhampton)

The (Emerald) statement stressed: “Our intention remains to continue a financial commitment to the stadium itself, which is also the home of Leeds Rhinos rugby, as we believe this supports the aims of diversity and inclusion in sport along with a range of charitable community endeavours."

13 hours ago, Eddie said:

Blimey, it used to be in the same bracket as John Smiths, Stones and Boddies. Hopefully they’ve changed the recipe then. 

Tetley's was a fine Pale Ale in the olden days. But not the keg versions of it, the proper tackle.

A bit like Boddys was pretty sound before being took over by Whitbread or something.

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

The (Emerald) statement stressed: “Our intention remains to continue a financial commitment to the stadium itself, which is also the home of Leeds Rhinos rugby, as we believe this supports the aims of diversity and inclusion in sport along with a range of charitable community endeavours."

Do we need to press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to reset you?

3 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Tetley's was a fine Pale Ale in the olden days. But not the keg versions of it, the proper tackle.

A bit like Boddys was pretty sound before being took over by Whitbread or something.

Tetley's used to brew a very good, draught dark mild.  I hope they still do.  They were (are?) part of Allied Breweries, so also included Ansell's of Birmingham, inter alia.  my brother was a brewer with Allied for his entire, full-time working career, variously at Ansell's and the lager breweries in Wrexham and Alloa.  An odd consequence of this is that I have three nephews, one born in England, one in Wales and one in Scotland!

By contrast, Shipstone's, a Nottingham brewer, allegedly had a less good reputation, with a piece of local doggerel going, "Shipstone's Shippo's makes you sh*t like hippos!"

PS: can somebody please stop this forum pretending to be American!  It doesn't believe 'draught' is a correct spelling and keeps underlining it in red!  Still, what do the Americans know of proper, decent beer?

50 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Tetley's used to brew a very good, draught dark mild.  I hope they still do.  They were (are?) part of Allied Breweries, so also included Ansell.

I think the beer you are referring to might be Tetley Falstaff? That was a dark style of beer but wasn't even available in most Tetley pubs. 

I remember being in Birmingham around 1983 and noticing the Ansell logo on the pub logos or ashtrays in the pubs were very similar if not identical to the ones on our local pubs. 

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Tetley's used to brew a very good, draught dark mild.  I hope they still do.  They were (are?) part of Allied Breweries, so also included Ansell's of Birmingham, inter alia. 

Allied Breweries (along with Ansells) is long, long gone (Ansells Brewery closed in 81) - Allied was bought by Carlsberg at the beginning of the 90s. It became Carlsberg-Tetley and is now a vast conglomerate that off the top of my head brews Tetleys, Banks's, Brakspeare, Jennings, Marston's, Ringwood, Charles Wells, Youngs, McEwans, Wychwood, William Younger, Bass and Mansfield. 

So pretty big. They do still do Tetley Dark Mild.

2 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I think the beer you are referring to might be Tetley Falstaff? That was a dark style of beer but wasn't even available in most Tetley pubs. 

I remember being in Birmingham around 1983 and noticing the Ansell logo on the pub logos or ashtrays in the pubs were very similar if not identical to the ones on our local pubs. 

No, Johnoco.  As Iffleyox confirms, it was just called dark mild.  Theakston's and Taylor's both had a good dark mild too.  My understanding is that dark mild has tended to be a regional drink, possibly with two centres of popularity - the West Midlands and industrial Lancashire/Yorkshire.

4 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

No, Johnoco.  As Iffleyox confirms, it was just called dark mild.  Theakston's and Taylor's both had a good dark mild too.  My understanding is that dark mild has tended to be a regional drink, possibly with two centres of popularity - the West Midlands and industrial Lancashire/Yorkshire.

Apologies for continuing the tangent. A mate of mine actually owns a fair sized brewery (no names no pack drill) and it's even more specific than that - you can reliably shift mild such that it's worth having on permanently in pubs, in Wigan, the Black Country, Birmingham and Kidderminster. There are other northern pockets but apparently they're dead/dying.

1 minute ago, iffleyox said:

Apologies for continuing the tangent. A mate of mine actually owns a fair sized brewery (no names no pack drill) and it's even more specific than that - you can reliably shift mild such that it's worth having on permanently in pubs, in Wigan, the Black Country, Birmingham and Kidderminster. There are other northern pockets but apparently they're dead/dying.

Thanks for the information, sad though it is.

8 hours ago, JohnM said:

They only released that statement after they read my original post.

Is this about the flaky bigoted  under belly or the flaccid beer belly  of Yorkshire?

As a lad I spent far too much time in Staffordshire and most especially Burton on Trent.

The BOT of the nineties still had its fair share of breweries. A odd designed just too tidy pub for Bass employees with literally every bar game possible. Yes even Billiards.

Then Ing Coupe or was it Marstons had a tiny place directly attached to the brewery.

Pure Heaven.

Sadly I believe one of the town's more famous independent breweries that straddles the Trent came out with a Tory Brexit beer which leads us back to the curious rightist happenings at Leeds.

The Rhinos must feel like they are chained to a corpse. I suspect a very big anti racism statement from them and the RFL to head off any unjustified criticism.

The other point is regards to what MjM said before. Is the Naming Rights really worth £500k to Leeds? Jeepers how much have SRD missed out from renting the AJ Bell of Doom Stadium?

Ah got a thirst for an Owd Rodger now. 🍺

Archived