Oldham Bears

Dave Naylor

I see Coventry Bears are rebranding to Midlands Hurricanes.

So let's re-adopt the name Bears because at least there is a smidgin of history therein.

In view of the current desire to rebuild and further the progress of the club, why not grab the bull by the horns  bear by the paws and really go for it.   A chance to introduce some much needed marketing and kick-on with a refreshed name and a proper new logo.  It also gives us the chance to rid ourselves of the toy-town shield with which we're currently stuck.  Of course I would say that, wouldn't I.  Lol.

I hated that stupid bear logo the club used during our two Super League seasons. It was particularly embarrassing but if we could create a new logo featuring an aptly drawn bear I think it could provide fresh impetus to promote the club.

Keep the town crest somewhere like on the shirt a-la-Wigan (sans daft shield) but use our new Bear logo everywhere else.

We have been gifted this sliver of an opportunity just at the right moment.  We should seize it while it's still there.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Dave Naylor said:

So let's re-adopt the name Bears because as least there is a smidgin of history therein.

In view of the current desire to rebuild and further the progress of the club, why not grab the bull by the horns  bear by the paws and really go for it.   A chance to introduce some much needed marketing and kick-on with a refreshed name and a proper new logo.  It also gives us the chance to rid ourselves of the toy-town shield with which we're currently stuck.  Of course I would say that, wouldn't I.  Lol.

I hated that stupid bear logo the club used during our two Super League seasons. It was particularly embarrassing but if we could create a new logo featuring an aptly drawn bear I think it could provide fresh impetus to promote the club.

Keep the town crest somewhere like on the shirt a-la-Wigan (sans daft shield) but use our new Bear logo everywhere else.

We have been gifted this sliver of an opportunity just at the right moment.  We should seize it while it's still there.

It's a no from me....the whole bears thing just doesn't mean anything

A brand isn't just some made up image that can be sold as a toy, it's an emotion invoked by history by tales told and shared. The emotional feeling I get with "the bears" is failure, demise and death of our once great club. And anyway it's not unique.

"Roughyeds" on the other hand is ours, it's unique, its strength, passion, it's Joe Ferguson, ken Jackson, Alex Givvons et al. 

I remember when we were on the BBC a couple of years ago and the commentator said what a great name for a Rugby club. And it is.

We are Roughyeds. 

Of course we are Roughyeds.  We're from Oldham. The floodlights from Watersheddings used to light up my bedroom.  I was literally born in 'Sheddings.

However, it's a nickname.  It's not a brand.  I've thought lots about how you could market Roughyeds and it's a real head-scratcher.  A rough-felt hat made from scraps by factory workers identified Oldhamers.  It's not a great starting point in the 21st Century.

I live in a city of Loiners.  Imagine trying to market that.  Not too far away from here the Gallant Youths play at Mount Pleasant.  Even tougher.

I've tried to come up with an appropriate brand for Oldham that links to the town and the club and the game etc etc and always drawn a blank.

And now Coventry are clearing the space for us to re-adopt Bears.  I can see the outline of a bear on promotional stuff much in the way South Sydney use a rabbit or Redcliffe use a Dolphin.  Simple, identifiable objects to put the club name in the minds of current and new fans.  

If it doesn't matter what the team wears on the shirt, so long as they play in red/white hoops, what does it matter what the club uses for branding.

40 minutes ago, Dave Naylor said:

Of course we are Roughyeds.  We're from Oldham. The floodlights from Watersheddings used to light up my bedroom.  I was literally born in 'Sheddings.

However, it's a nickname.  It's not a brand.  I've thought lots about how you could market Roughyeds and it's a real head-scratcher.  A rough-felt hat made from scraps by factory workers identified Oldhamers.  It's not a great starting point in the 21st Century.

I live in a city of Loiners.  Imagine trying to market that.  Not too far away from here the Gallant Youths play at Mount Pleasant.  Even tougher.

I've tried to come up with an appropriate brand for Oldham that links to the town and the club and the game etc etc and always drawn a blank.

And now Coventry are clearing the space for us to re-adopt Bears.  I can see the outline of a bear on promotional stuff much in the way South Sydney use a rabbit or Redcliffe use a Dolphin.  Simple, identifiable objects to put the club name in the minds of current and new fans.  

If it doesn't matter what the team wears on the shirt, so long as they play in red/white hoops, what does it matter what the club uses for branding.

The floodlights hardly lit up the pitch

28 minutes ago, fiftiesremembered said:

Spot on Dave. A nickname is not a marketable thing.

If not the old Bears there must be something slick and marketable out there. More suggestions welcomed.

Roughyeds just our pet name.

Disagree 100%. Having a strategic marketing background I can say Roughyeds is totally marketable. Just needs bit of imagination. It is more than a nickname. It is the essence of the professional club in Oldham.

1 minute ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Disagree 100%. Having a strategic marketing background I can say Roughyeds is totally marketable. Just needs bit of imagination. It is more than a nickname. It is the essence of the professional club in Oldham.

There was a cartoon red-haired figure put about a while back.  I think whoever drew it went with Roughyan and ended up with something that looked like a concept version of the Huddersfield Giant guy.  Of course Roughyeds is about a hat, so what do we use, a tatty looking cap?

I'm not being facetious here but if we're going to use the word Roughyed, let's use it properly.  Leigh Centurions use what looks like a Spartan to me, so let's not make a similar error.

Anyway, I disagree 100% with your 100% disagreement.  If that's possible.  Maybe the two disagreements cancel each other out like noise cancelling headphones and we end up with the perfect solution.

In any case, I just put my lottery on.  Come tomorrow I'll have bought CH out and we'll be Oldham Comets playing at New Watersheddings before you know it.

Hmmmmm,Oldham Comets....? (Joking).

Here's a Roughy called Ed.

roughy-ed.png.73814d0510942b9b5be7a9b33c537768.png

13 minutes ago, Dave Naylor said:

There was a cartoon red-haired figure put about a while back.  I think whoever drew it went with Roughyan and ended up with something that looked like a concept version of the Huddersfield Giant guy.  Of course Roughyeds is about a hat, so what do we use, a tatty looking cap?

I'm not being facetious here but if we're going to use the word Roughyed, let's use it properly.  Leigh Centurions use what looks like a Spartan to me, so let's not make a similar error.

Anyway, I disagree 100% with your 100% disagreement.  If that's possible.  Maybe the two disagreements cancel each other out like noise cancelling headphones and we end up with the perfect solution.

In any case, I just put my lottery on.  Come tomorrow I'll have bought CH out and we'll be Oldham Comets playing at New Watersheddings before you know it.

Hmmmmm,Oldham Comets....? (Joking).

Here's a Roughy called Ed.

roughy-ed.png.73814d0510942b9b5be7a9b33c537768.png

I must say, however, that I had a T Shirt with the Bear that said Roughyeds on it. I did like that. Thought I had a picture of it, but can't find it. There's no reason why we can't use the moniker Roughyeds and a Bear as a mascot. Rory makes me cringe, by the way . And don't get me started on that ginger kid mascot.

19 hours ago, Dave Naylor said:

So let's re-adopt the name Bears because as least there is a smidgin of history therein.

Hi Dave

Would happily go with resurrecting the Bears name.  I did plug the Phoenix when they first reformed, thinking about growing again out of the ashes along with the Bear, but the reply back was that they were a new club and wanted to promote that.  I am with you that we do need something that can be promoted and have since thought, if not the Bear, what about going along the lines of "Oldham Orcas" or, to attract the younger audience, the "Oldham Raptors" as in Volociraptors out of Jurrasic Park franchise.  Here's hoping!

Tony Mac

If you’re going through hell, keep going – Winston Churchill

Halifax rebranded as ‘Panthers’ last pre-season and reportedly saw a rise in interest and merchandise sales.

I wouldn’t be adverse to this if it was part of a larger project to promote the club in the borough.

A mate of mine has the old bear logo tattooed on him, I’m sure he’d be pleased 😉

7 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

A brand isn't just some made up image that can be sold as a toy, it's an emotion invoked by history by tales told and shared. The emotional feeling I get with "the bears" is failure, demise and death of our once great club. And anyway it's not unique.

"Roughyeds" on the other hand is ours, it's unique, its strength, passion, it's Joe Ferguson, ken Jackson, Alex Givvons et al. 

I remember when we were on the BBC a couple of years ago and the commentator said what a great name for a Rugby club. And it is.

We are Roughyeds. 

I agree that the "Bears" is too reminiscent of failure and demise. But does anyone outside Oldham know what Roughyed means? I like Tony Mac's suggestion of Oldham Orcas. The alliteration makes it catchy and I'm sure someone with a bit of artistic talent could design a decent orca logo.

2 hours ago, parigby said:

Bearing in mind how we bounce about from ground to ground how about Oldham Caravaners 🤪

Actually Oldham 'Nomads' may be more appropriate ?

On 05/11/2021 at 15:34, Bert Street said:

Oldham RLFC was always good enough for me.

Whenever marketing is mentioned my mind always travels back to Orwell's definition.

' The sound of the rattling of the stick in the bottom of the swill bucket.'

I've pondered this response for a while.  Orwell was writing about advertising, not marketing. But that's probably splitting hairs.   He's saying that advertising is a way of making people respond and maximise profit for the advertiser.  They hear the rattle and blindly follow the sound to spend money they otherwise wouldn't have spent. 

So what are you suggesting?  Marketing the club is simply enticing people to commit to something under some kind of false pretence?   All designed to make people part with money for the profit of the club.  Really?

One look at the images from the fans' forum tells you that the demographic profile of Oldham fans is well over 40.  Surely that's not a healthy outlook for the future of the club. 

The club needs to attract young people to become involved.  I have a ten year old son.  He and his friends are Fortnite players, YouTubers, Minecraft builders, Instagrammers etc and swamped with Americanisms.  They respond to brands.  They respond to cool names.  If the best we've got is to stick with a heraldic shield as a logo and just call ourselves by the name of the town and that's it — we're doomed.  Utterly consigned to oblivion within ten years. 

Take off the comfort-zone blinkers and wake up to reality.  I flippin' loved meeting up with my grandad and walking to 'sheddings to support my town team.  Those days are gone.  We live in a hyper-connected modern world.  We absolutely should adapt or we'll wither on the vine and be gone.  

Archived