Oldham Bears

Dave Naylor

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Just to be clear the chartered institute of marketing's definition of marketing is "a management tool that identifies, anticipates and satisfies customer needs profitably". Advertisement is just one of many tools of promoting, which is one tool of marketing. Unfortunately people use all three interchangeably.

Soooooo.  Are you saying we need another word for the process of persuading Oldhamer's to turn up at Oldham games? 

Chartered institute of marketing sounds like a fun gig not to attend.  Almost as bad as the truly awful term "Marketeer" (the marketers currently associated with the club use that term, I ###### you not).

8 hours ago, Dave Naylor said:

Soooooo.  Are you saying we need another word for the process of persuading Oldhamer's to turn up at Oldham games? 

Chartered institute of marketing sounds like a fun gig not to attend.  Almost as derisory as the truly awful term "Marketeer" (the current marketing numpties associated with the club use that term, I ###### you not).

Ha ha ha! No. Actually I don't know what I was saying, I'd had a couple of pints when I posted that. Woke up this morning and there it was! 🤭

I think I may have drawn the inference, wrongly, that someone was saying marketing makes people do something they wouldn't want to do.

I now need to go and check that I haven't drunken texted any of my exes.

1 hour ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

I now need to go and check that I haven't drunken texted any of my exes.

Oh god.  My Mrs is away this weekend and sometimes I send wine-enhanced sloppy missing-you messages late at night.  She's back later, I'd best do a bit of checking myself.

18 minutes ago, shrewsbury roughyed said:

Gentlemen, please! This thread is just possibly veering off the subject matter somewhat. The sad soppy old farts drunkenly in touch with their inner femininity post is elsewhere. We’re Roughyeds…ex Bears…a little embarrassment and humiliation  shouldn’t phase us at all!

It's a fair point.  Come on Arty, let's man up and be like Bears.

16 hours ago, Dave Naylor said:

I've pondered this response for a while.  Orwell was writing about advertising, not marketing. But that's probably splitting hairs.   He's saying that advertising is a way of making people respond and maximise profit for the advertiser.  They hear the rattle and blindly follow the sound to spend money they otherwise wouldn't have spent. 

So what are you suggesting?  Marketing the club is simply enticing people to commit to something under some kind of false pretence?   All designed to make people part with money for the profit of the club.  Really?

One look at the images from the fans' forum tells you that the demographic profile of Oldham fans is well over 40.  Surely that's not a healthy outlook for the future of the club. 

The club needs to attract young people to become involved.  I have a ten year old son.  He and his friends are Fortnite players, YouTubers, Minecraft builders, Instagrammers etc and swamped with Americanisms.  They respond to brands.  They respond to cool names.  If the best we've got is to stick with a heraldic shield as a logo and just call ourselves by the name of the town and that's it — we're doomed.  Utterly consigned to oblivion within ten years. 

Take off the comfort-zone blinkers and wake up to reality.  I flippin' loved meeting up with my grandad and walking to 'sheddings to support my town team.  Those days are gone.  We live in a hyper-connected modern world.  We absolutely should adapt or we'll wither on the vine and be gone.  

Hello, Dave.

Yes, I think you are right that Orwell was talking about advertising. Occasionally, advertising can be useful. It can tell me where to obtain things I think I need.

Marketing is different. It exists to sell me a product which has been created or modified in order to maximise the profit  available to the vendor.

Marketing has been the scourge of 21st century sport as it monetises itself in order to reduce itself to the status of product to serve TV and commercial interests at the expense of those who love the sport for itself and are invested in it.

The RFL went shamelessly down this route when selling it soul to Murdoch and Sky TV.

I feel truly sorry for children who are subjected to the media digitally driven sporting 'experience'. I think they risk being deprived of the joys you identify as a child watching Oldham and are just treated as units of profit for the next bit of product.

Governing bodies of all major sports are uniformly shameless, witness the ECB and their promotion of The Hundred.

I do appreciate that none of this necessarily helps Oldham, but if we are ever to return from being the zombie club that we have become over the last generation, it will be through the town returning to strength, the club having its own ground in Oldham, be that shared or not and being something distinctive and with a proud past and viable future.

In the meantime, thanks for the excellent work you do in at least keeping the flame flickering.

23 hours ago, Dave Naylor said:

Lol. S h 1 t is banned.

Yup.  😀

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

10 minutes ago, jroyales said:

When I started watching our great club we were simply Oldham Football Club. We don't need bears, roughyeds, sharks. hairnets, warriors - we are OLDHAM.

Interesting that Hull have dropped their nicknames and reverted to Hull FC. I like the Oldham FC name. Unfortunately it died in 1997. Now whether it, the name, could be resurrected in some form I don't know. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wikipedia...

A Rochdale Athletic Club was formed in 1866 and held its first festival on the cricket ground at Merefield. Rugby football first took place as an organised game about 1866 or 1867, when the Rochdale Football Club was formed by a magistrate and numerous business owners and self-employed men. Within a year they were all playing alongside new members when working-class men were allowed to join as well. Other clubs quickly followed, among them Rochdale Wasps and Rochdale Juniors.

In 1871, Rochdale Juniors and Rakebank merged to form Rochdale United. On 20 April 1871, the directors of Rochdale Wasps, Rochdale United and Rochdale Football Club met at the Roebuck Hotel in the town centre to form a senior team that would represent the town. Rochdale Wasps. Rochdale Butterflies and Rochdale Grasshoppers were suggested as names for the new club before Rochdale Hornets was agreed on. The original team colours were amber and black.

6 hours ago, Billy King's Boots said:

The options on the table at the initial meeting to form the club were were Grasshoppers, Wasps, Butterflies and Hornets. I think they made the right decision.

I bet when the option for Butterflies was brought up there was a sudden silence in the room and everyone looked at the perpetrator with raised eyebrows! 😆 we need to come up with a chant that reflects the butterflies.

On 06/11/2021 at 21:04, Dave Naylor said:

I've pondered this response for a while.  Orwell was writing about advertising, not marketing. But that's probably splitting hairs.   He's saying that advertising is a way of making people respond and maximise profit for the advertiser.  They hear the rattle and blindly follow the sound to spend money they otherwise wouldn't have spent. 

So what are you suggesting?  Marketing the club is simply enticing people to commit to something under some kind of false pretence?   All designed to make people part with money for the profit of the club.  Really?

One look at the images from the fans' forum tells you that the demographic profile of Oldham fans is well over 40.  Surely that's not a healthy outlook for the future of the club. 

The club needs to attract young people to become involved.  I have a ten year old son.  He and his friends are Fortnite players, YouTubers, Minecraft builders, Instagrammers etc and swamped with Americanisms.  They respond to brands.  They respond to cool names.  If the best we've got is to stick with a heraldic shield as a logo and just call ourselves by the name of the town and that's it — we're doomed.  Utterly consigned to oblivion within ten years. 

Take off the comfort-zone blinkers and wake up to reality.  I flippin' loved meeting up with my grandad and walking to 'sheddings to support my town team.  Those days are gone.  We live in a hyper-connected modern world.  We absolutely should adapt or we'll wither on the vine and be gone.  

Archived