Wheelchair Internationals

Damien

18 minutes ago, Damien said:

France were very, very good in both games and you can see why they are World Champions. England aren't far off but just look a class below at the moment.

Wales Wheelchair RL first opponents in RLWC next November are France....lets say we've got our work cut out, but we are confident we can step up. France have set the benchmark. We know what our standard needs to be.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, gogledd said:

Wales Wheelchair RL first opponents in RLWC next November are France....lets say we've got our work cut out, but we are confident we can step up. France have set the benchmark. We know what our standard needs to be.

Good luck!

The speed of France is very impressive.

5 hours ago, Futtocks said:

There was an England Knight v France Espoirs match yesterday. For those of you who, like me, completely missed it...

Just had a look at some of this.

In the first bit I dipped into, a French player dropped the ball, England player regathered and passed to a teammate who was haring off downfield - only to be brought all the way back because the ref had blown up the instant he saw the ball go to ground.

Few minutes later there was a call of "two knock-ons, first by France, second by England". Watched it again to check - There was one knock back by the French. And it went about half a metre backwards.

These officials are clearly steeped in modern Rugby League madness.

10 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Just had a look at some of this.

In the first bit I dipped into, a French player dropped the ball, England player regathered and passed to a teammate who was haring off downfield - only to be brought all the way back because the ref had blown up the instant he saw the ball go to ground.

Few minutes later there was a call of "two knock-ons, first by France, second by England". Watched it again to check - There was one knock back by the French. And it went about half a metre backwards.

These officials are clearly steeped in modern Rugby League madness.

Thank God you finally found something to disapprove of.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Thank God you finally found something to disapprove of.

You really must learn to recognize constructive criticism in the best interests of the game. Very different from vacuous negativity.

It could be argued I`m disapproving of officials disapproving of players attempting to be creative.

It must be difficult for players in wheelchair RL to produce fluent moves. We don`t want knock-on and forward pass mania making it more difficult.

I know this is the Wheelchair Internationals thread, but can anyone tell me how the domestic game is set-up?

Ive seen one link which shows logos for domestic teams across the full length and breadth of Britain - is there a league that includes them all?

I know Leeds-Leyland was shown last year on Sky, but personally I’d set aside time to watch one live game and a highlights show per week if there was a broadcaster involved.

5 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I know this is the Wheelchair Internationals thread, but can anyone tell me how the domestic game is set-up?

Ive seen one link which shows logos for domestic teams across the full length and breadth of Britain - is there a league that includes them all?

I know Leeds-Leyland was shown last year on Sky, but personally I’d set aside time to watch one live game and a highlights show per week if there was a broadcaster involved.

Wheelchair Rugby League 2021

Super League: Argonauts Skeleton Army, Halifax Panthers, Hull FC, Leeds Rhinos, Leyland Warriors, North Wales Crusaders.

Championship North: Bradford Bulls, Dundee Dragons, Mersey Storm, Newcastle Thunder, Rochdale Hornets, Wakefield Trinity.

Championship West: Celts, Hereford Harriers, North Wales Crusaders A, Torfaen Tigers, Warrington Wolves, West Wales Raiders.

Championship South: Argonauts Skeleton Army Demi-Gods, Bedford Tigers, Gravesend, Gravesend Dynamite, Medway Dragons, Woodland Warriors.

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/58115/wheelchair-rugby-league-ready-for-return-ahead-of-huge-year

13 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Super League: Argonauts Skeleton Army, Halifax Panthers, Hull FC, Leeds Rhinos, Leyland Warriors, North Wales Crusaders.

Championship North: Bradford Bulls, Dundee Dragons, Mersey Storm, Newcastle Thunder, Rochdale Hornets, Wakefield Trinity.

Championship West: Celts, Hereford Harriers, North Wales Crusaders A, Torfaen Tigers, Warrington Wolves, West Wales Raiders.

Championship South: Argonauts Skeleton Army Demi-Gods, Bedford Tigers, Gravesend, Gravesend Dynamite, Medway Dragons, Woodland Warriors.

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/58115/wheelchair-rugby-league-ready-for-return-ahead-of-huge-year

Thanks for this!

Been looking at Leyland Warriors’ social media stuff as they are the nearest to me and it seems very active on a few different RL fronts.

Got a soft spot for Mersey Storm (based in Widnes I think) who look to be fundraising at the moment.

Very impressed with a set up involving so many teams from far flung areas.

Believe there’s also been announced new teams representing Wigan Warriors and Sheffield Eagles to be added in 2022.

Wigan have recruited the head coach of the Leyland Warriors (last year’s losing finalists).  They’re going to be competing in the newly expanded 2022 Wheelchair Super League 8 team league playing home and away.

Sheffield Eagles had arranged a friendly against Rochdale Hornets and gave more details of how they got started and successfully applied for funds.

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/36156/wigan-warriors-to-launch-wheelchair-rugby-league-team

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/36236/sheffield-eagles-to-make-wheelchair-rugby-league-debut

7 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Great games both of them, and true test matches.

The BBC did a great job covering the games. It did a terrible job promoting and reporting on them. No match report on the BBC sport or RL page for either game. pss poor.

I was just looking for the second game after enjoying watching the first, but only mention is in the results section. Not in the disability sport part of the sports site either 🤷🏻‍♂️

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

Great day down in Medway yesterday well worth the long drive there and back. Great entertainment well played to everyone and great organisation from the Medway staff.

Already booked and paid for our RLWC tickets so plenty of road trips on the way.

Riggy

Swinton

1 hour ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

I was just looking for the second game after enjoying watching the first, but only mention is in the results section. Not in the disability sport part of the sports site either 🤷🏻‍♂️

Has there been much coverage from the rest of the RL media? Easy for them to report on off the telly.

On 14/11/2021 at 10:05, Gerrumonside ref said:

Believe there’s also been announced new teams representing Wigan Warriors and Sheffield Eagles to be added in 2022.

Wigan have recruited the head coach of the Leyland Warriors (last year’s losing finalists).  They’re going to be competing in the newly expanded 2022 Wheelchair Super League 8 team league playing home and away.

Sheffield Eagles had arranged a friendly against Rochdale Hornets and gave more details of how they got started and successfully applied for funds.

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/36156/wigan-warriors-to-launch-wheelchair-rugby-league-team

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/36236/sheffield-eagles-to-make-wheelchair-rugby-league-debut

Wigan Warriors are Leyland Warriors rebranded

On 14/11/2021 at 09:30, Man of Kent said:

North Wales Crusaders are the only club with 3 teams in the leagues. We have our Super League side and two teams in the Championship ( Celts and Crusaders A). Very proud of what we've achieved since setting up in 2012.

And chuffed that 3 other Welsh teams are now playing Wheelchair RL with hopefully a Cardiff side coming on stream next year.

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Thanks mate, I didn’t know.

Your on the ball with Sheffield though. I know some of the England squad have been down to their set up sessions to help start them training.

10 minutes ago, gogledd said:

North Wales Crusaders are the only club with 3 teams in the leagues. We have our Super League side and two teams in the Championship ( Celts and Crusaders A). Very proud of what we've achieved since setting up in 2012.

And chuffed that 3 other Welsh teams are now playing Wheelchair RL with hopefully a Cardiff side coming on stream next year.

Is the plan for a Welsh only type conference/division to help with travel and costs?

I noticed a few more teams on the Welsh club logos on the Facebook page for Wheelchair rugby league.

Good work definitely!

On 15/11/2021 at 22:12, Gerrumonside ref said:

Is the plan for a Welsh only type conference/division to help with travel and costs?

I noticed a few more teams on the Welsh club logos on the Facebook page for Wheelchair rugby league.

Good work definitely!

Some of the travel distances within Wales are further or more tortuous than headin to play in England. For example, its easier for North Wales to get to Warrington, Wigan and Sr.Helens than it is to get to Llanelli. Similarly Torfaen and Cardiff are within striking distance of Hereford.

An all-Wales competition is definitely something that is likely to be on the cards - this season Welsh Government coronavirous regs have really put pay to any multi-game tournaments. Lets hople this improves in 2022.

Archived