10 Years Ago Today…

10 years ago, at this very moment actually, I was heading to Wembley to watch England v Australia in the 2011 4N. With an England side that (purely from memory) contained Sam Tomkins, Ryan Hall, Kev Sinfield, Jack Reed and Chris Heighinton. 
The crowd was around 42K and England lost 20-36(?).

A great day out nonetheless and it seems like an impossible dream at the moment. Good times….will they ever come back?

• Like 3

I also went to that game, didn’t Wales play as well? I remember Ryan Hall scoring a great try in the corner and injuring Slater in the process!

I agree it was a great day out, really felt that it showed we could play internationals at Wembley, 42k which two years later was 60k+ at WC. Then … well, we went all RL and didn’t bother again.

• Like 4

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

1 hour ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

I also went to that game, didn’t Wales play as well? I remember Ryan Hall scoring a great try in the corner and injuring Slater in the process!

I agree it was a great day out, really felt that it showed we could play internationals at Wembley, 42k which two years later was 60k+ at WC. Then … well, we went all RL and didn’t bother again.

Yeah was a double header with Wales-NZ. I watched the first half of that game in a pub in Baker Street. 

5 hours ago, Johnoco said:

10 years ago, at this very moment actually, I was heading to Wembley to watch England v Australia in the 2011 4N. With an England side that (purely from memory) contained Sam Tomkins, Ryan Hall, Kev Sinfield, Jack Reed and Chris Heighinton. 
The crowd was around 42K and England lost 20-36(?).

A great day out nonetheless and it seems like an impossible dream at the moment. Good times….will they ever come back?

I got a free ticket by being the only person to enter a Chiltern Railways competition.

Good times.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Thats when Ryan Hall was probably the best winger in the world or certainly in the top 3. When people slag him off for his way past his best foray into the NRL they forget how good he actually was.

I seem to remember Slater coming off second best from that try? Or at least a similar incident.

Worst decision had to be the none sending off of Tony Williams for his 'tackle' on Westwood. 

15 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Worst decision had to be the none sending off of Tony Williams for his 'tackle' on Westwood. 

I actually don't know what an Aussie player has to do to be sent off in a test match. I have seen plenty of blatant red card incidents over the years and it just never happens. If there was a role reversal the time Morley was sent off, and quite rightly too, there is no way the Australian player would be sent off.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

I remember Ryan Hall scoring a great try in the corner and injuring Slater in the process!

That really was a great moment.  Made you proud to be an English Rugby League fan, such a fantastic effort.

Oh, and the try was good too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

33 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Top level International rugby league was good wasnt it ? I remember those days

Every England international at the new Wembley has been a success. Then we stopped going to Wembley and scaled down to the Olympic Stadium. Then just stopped with London completely.

That was what was great about the planned Ashes series that was unfortunately cancelled. It was the first time in years that the game had shown that kind of ambition again outside of World Cups.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Damien said:

Thats when Ryan Hall was probably the best winger in the world or certainly in the top 3. When people slag him off for his way past his best foray into the NRL they forget how good he actually was.

Two absolute world class tries that day

• Like 1