Salford Announcement

28 minutes ago, philipw said:

They’ve signed Mark Sneyd as well. Luke Gale rumoured to be going Hull FC. 

As a Leeds fan I'll be pretty angry if the club released Gale. Him, Sezer and Austin in the halves was supposed to robustly cover all eventualities next year. It would be madness to release him now.

48 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

You have no money and no future until you are out of that box.  You will have maybe the lowest budget in the league. 

Who were you expecting? 

Rowley has previously said no to the role. Salford have had some awful coaches over the years, Harris, McRae, Harvey, Parrish.   

36 minutes ago, M j M said:

As a Leeds fan I'll be pretty angry if the club released Gale. Him, Sezer and Austin in the halves was supposed to robustly cover all eventualities next year. It would be madness to release him now.

Frees up salary cap and we should get a fee.

If he wants to go no point making him stay.

49 minutes ago, M j M said:

I can't see any of those wanting to be a backup player.

17 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

You don´t have bad coaches, you have no money. People overestimate what the average coach does, that is why one that can really must make a difference (Mac, Watson) are valueable. Swap the coaches and keep the same budget 9 times out of ten teams are staying in the same position. 

No these coaches were awful, no amount of money would have made the difference. McRae was ill at the time so has an excuse. Look at what become of these men, Parrish went to being an assistant again and coach of one of the smaller nations, Harvey went back to pig farming. McRae and Harris aren't coaching. 

This isn't about winning and losing games it is about the difference a coach makes. Coaches like Harrison and Watson it could be seen on the pitch what a coach was trying to achieve. 

I haven't included Noble in this group even though I think he is a dinosaur and hasn't developed himself. 

In a week of very confusing news, this is very bad news.

Awful coach who brings out the worst aspect(s) of gamesmanship.

Noble gave away Fages and Sneyd,who went off to lift silverware,while Chase,Smith and Locke went onto something else.

Shame.I used to quite like Salford.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

3 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

We will have to agree to disagree, significant amounts of statistical information from football and other sports suggests it is wages that determine success. Obviously in a salary cap sport the emphasis on a good coach is increased but in general, money, not coaches, talk. 

So how do you explain Watson’s relative success at Salford?

7 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Because as I said the good managers stand out. But statistically, most coaches will recieve the same result. I would also add that unearthing Jackson Hasting who was playing significantly below his market value due to , shall we say, óff field issues´ made a significant difference. Once his wage reflected his ability, he was gone and the team has fallen back to it´s financial level. 

There´s a reason that Wakefield and Salford are propping up the league most seasons and have really only been saved by covid and denying Leigh a level playing field. This season will be a fairer reflection on where Salford sit. 

Explain teams like Manchester United. Plenty of money but the back 4 play like strangers.

A good coach will improve any team regardless of the money. This is what Watson did. He developed a mentality and an ethic. He will improve Huddersfield. I am sure the fans there can see what he is doing with the team and know it takes patience. Other coaches fail to get the best from world class players look at Wigan.

16 minutes ago, DG70 said:

Rowley is an upgrade on Marshall and they do have a fair bit of quality on paper, but as Brian Clough once said, " We have a good team on paper, unfortunately its played on grass"...

To update Cloughie, We have a good team on paper, unfortunately the game is played on plastic 🙂

4 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Teams with higest wages are near top of league, teams with lowest lower. Salary caps increase importance of coach but not between certain gaps. I promise you if Wakefield develop their ground, put a 3g pitch down and increase commercial revenue they will finish higher because they can attract better players on higher wages. That will be nothing to do with the coach.

I know that kind of takes the fantasy away but we always have playoffs and cups for that. 

By your assessment, put in a coach/manager from any league into those top clubs and City Liverpool or United would win the league. That isn't true, there is a skillset for managing egos of top players. Leicester won the league by spending less money but the coach got the best from the resources.

I don't expect any coach at Salford to win the league leaders but I expect the performance to be enhanced by his skill. This will translate to a close margin loss or an odd unexpected result rather than blowouts I expect my team to play as a unit and understand where team mates will be.

30 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Noble gave away Fages 

Hardly a give-away. Fages was nearing the end of his contract and didn't want to sign an extension. Saints offered them £80K to take Fages before the end of his contract which they accepted, largely because they were short of cash.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Archived