Salford Announcement

5 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Hardly a give-away. Fages was nearing the end of his contract and didn't want to sign an extension. Saints offered them £80K to take Fages before the end of his contract which they accepted, largely because they were short of cash.

Not quite how Salford fans recall that time. Fages walked away and refused to play for the team he engineered the move and Salford accepted the money as they ad no choice.

41 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

So how do you explain Watson’s relative success at Salford?

Having Paul Rowley as his assistant offensive coach, the arrival of Rowley at Salford was very coincidental of the upturn in the  fortunes Salford gained, personally I wouldn't let Rowley anywhere near the head coach/decision makers role, but I would have him in an offensive capacity everyday.

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

And yes, if you put a monkey in charge of PSG, PSG are going to win the league 99 times out of a hundred.

1. Comparisons between the Premier League and Super League on this forum are always bemusing but I think this may be a new winner. One sport is salary capped, the other isn't. One sport has ownership structures ranging from multi-millionaire business people to sovereign wealth funds, the other has ownership structures consisting of 'local boy done good' to varying extents.

2. PSG are going to win Ligue 1 99 times out of 100 (apart from the 2 seasons in the last 5 years when PSG didn't win Ligue 1). Even in the football's distorted landscape, teams can punch above their weight and teams can punch below their weight.

None of this is to say we are currently competing on a level playing field with other clubs. Of course we aren't. But I'd take a Category 1 Academy and retention of all matchday revenue streams over another Koukash.

This black and white argument that, in a sport where 3 or 4 clubs are actually spending the full cap with 2 marquees, the financial disparity in Super League renders coaching immaterial is quite baffling. 

Coaches matter. Recruitment decisions matter. The culture in a squad matters. Injuries and form matter. Super League is not played on a Balance sheet. If it was, Wire might have won Super League by now...

Danny Orr as assistant coach is both a respected professional and potential head coach  plus Mark Sneyd is an astute signing. Salford were successful when they were a team as opposed to XIII individuals. If they can again bond as a team they could yet defy the odds.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

I just think it is an over-simplification. Wigan, Warrington, Saints, Catalans and Leeds (and maybe even Huddersfield with Davy's recent spending) are all on a level playing field under the salary cap.

Saints have dominated the last 3 seasons because they have been far and away the best club holistically speaking. Wigan can have the exact same money to spend but when half their squad are back rowers, they have 1 senior centre and no halfback that would start for any of the aforementioned clubs I can say quite confidently that they won't be lifting Super League next season. 

The structure, culture and organisation of a Super League club are, for me, the most important factors in determining success. Finances will always restrict a Salford from consistently competing with the above but there are still plenty of teams competing on exactly the same terms economically who are very far apart on the rugby pitch. 

On 05/11/2021 at 11:40, Red Willow said:

Salford have spent this week saying there will be fireworks today.

it is expected a new coach will be anounced at noon.

As a long time Salford fan I expect to be disappointed.

As long as it isn't Lam.

How long has he signed with Salford for ?. 

On 05/11/2021 at 17:44, Ray Cashmere said:

I just think it is an over-simplification. Wigan, Warrington, Saints, Catalans and Leeds (and maybe even Huddersfield with Davy's recent spending) are all on a level playing field under the salary cap.

Saints have dominated the last 3 seasons because they have been far and away the best club holistically speaking. Wigan can have the exact same money to spend but when half their squad are back rowers, they have 1 senior centre and no halfback that would start for any of the aforementioned clubs I can say quite confidently that they won't be lifting Super League next season. 

The structure, culture and organisation of a Super League club are, for me, the most important factors in determining success. Finances will always restrict a Salford from consistently competing with the above but there are still plenty of teams competing on exactly the same terms economically who are very far apart on the rugby pitch. 

Ray there are that many add ons to the salary cap that the top clubs end up with a wage bill double or more the bottom ones. Marquee player, club grown, new talent, returning talent, prize money, Intl bonus's, educational fees and Academy/reserves salary's. 

Then you have the attraction of signing for a top club which means the bottom clubs have to offer more for the same player.

On 05/11/2021 at 13:05, M j M said:

As a Leeds fan I'll be pretty angry if the club released Gale. Him, Sezer and Austin in the halves was supposed to robustly cover all eventualities next year. It would be madness to release him now.

Something that Leeds are consistent with... McGuire being the prime example when being injured early on and Leeds nearly got relegated... They are consistent with no real contingency planning with the halves... could give other examples but I guess the most recent is both full back and Gale - got away with full back with Myler being a surprise hit.

I guess they are consistent in believing in utility or identifying players that can play well in other positions as distinct from it being by chance... nope I don't believe that its more a money thing I guess... 

On 05/11/2021 at 13:05, M j M said:

As a Leeds fan I'll be pretty angry if the club released Gale. Him, Sezer and Austin in the halves was supposed to robustly cover all eventualities next year. It would be madness to release him now.

Remember we have Richie Myler too, with both Jack Walker, Jack Broadbent and David Fusitu’a who can all play fullback if Myler needs to cover at half back. It’s disappointing to release Gale but if we replace him with a prop at some point throughout 2022 I think the squad will be stronger.

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Remember we have Richie Myler too, with both Jack Walker, Jack Broadbent and David Fusitu’a who can all play fullback if Myler needs to cover at half back. It’s disappointing to release Gale but if we replace him with a prop at some point throughout 2022 I think the squad will be stronger.

Hard to see how Leeds aren't going to be adversely affected by this. Don't you know that in the last six months alone, they've lost their two England international half backs?

5 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Ray there are that many add ons to the salary cap that the top clubs end up with a wage bill double or more the bottom ones. Marquee player, club grown, new talent, returning talent, prize money, Intl bonus's, educational fees and Academy/reserves salary's. 

Then you have the attraction of signing for a top club which means the bottom clubs have to offer more for the same player.

Whilst in theory you're right it isn't that simple.

Marquee- about 4 clubs (to my knowledge) currently use both spots so that isn't a significant impediment.

Club grown- we need a Cat 1 academy first which the club is rightly prioritising but, even so, it is a fact of life the best local talent will always go to Wigan or Saints.

New talent/returning talent- rarely gets used, let alone successfully 

International bonuses- what internationals?

This isn't me arguing that money doesn't matter. Funnily enough, I don't expect Salford to ever trouble the top 5 places for this exact reason. But, in a salary-capped sport where 5/6 clubs are spending the same level on salaries, it is not money that makes the difference between these clubs. I'm surprised this is so controversial. 

2 hours ago, Hammerless Nail said:

Hard to see how Leeds aren't going to be adversely affected by this. Don't you know that in the last six months alone, they've lost their two England international half backs?

We certainly could of done with an extra salary cap exempt half back this season, sadly it didn’t work out. Gale is obviously a loss to the squad but he frees up salary space to bring another quality player in, I expect not straight away but a mid season signing.

Archived