Clubs on the Up

Eddie

Which clubs do you think will be in a stronger position in 5-10 years, on field, financially and commercially?

I like the sound of what both Barrow and Rochdale are doing, I think they’ll both be at the upper end of the Championship by 2027 if the current owners stay. Maybe Sheffield too once the new ground is in place. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ShropshireBull said:

York, Newcastle, Sheffield, Wakefield if they sort out their hole, Toulouse will start to compete. That´s it. Maybe Salford if they can plop a 3g pitch down and grow commercial income on and off match days. 

3g maybe o k in northern spain but it,s a bit dated in the u k now, but agree with your choice of clubs😉

One reason I stopped watching Widnes, aswell as them serving up garbage, was that the garbage was delivered on a plastic pitch. I know it offers other benefits to whoever owns the stadium but I like my rugby played on real mud. I am just old school I am afraid. Now my rugby fix is at grass roots level, union and league. I am non-discriminatory in my loathing of the round ball game 🙂

17 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

One reason I stopped watching Widnes, aswell as them serving up garbage, was that the garbage was delivered on a plastic pitch. I know it offers other benefits to whoever owns the stadium but I like my rugby played on real mud. I am just old school I am afraid. Now my rugby fix is at grass roots level, union and league. I am non-discriminatory in my loathing of the round ball game 🙂

I think playing on artificial pitches all the time will end a few careers and cause post-playing problems on joints. Just a thought.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

York, Newcastle, Sheffield, Wakefield if they sort out their hole, Toulouse will start to compete. That´s it. Maybe Salford if they can plop a 3g pitch down and grow commercial income on and off match days. 

York and Newcastle, I would never have thought you had a soft spot for those two Salop!

13 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

York and Newcastle, I would never have thought you had a soft spot for those two Salop!

I think Barrow and Rochdale are as progressive as those two, certainly their first teams (obv not Newcy’s community programme which is class). 

Just now, ShropshireBull said:

I guess Rochdale really depends on what kind of crowds they could draw if they go up . Guy in charge obviously thinks they have potential compared to Swinton and at least play in town. Linked up with college which is good. Averaged around a thousand which is good after a naff season and covid so if Dale run well this year maybe 1500 average . Problem is they don´t get the bar money or money from stadium sponsorship and commercially growth in Rochdale likely to be weaker than say Newcastle or York. Still,  would be good to see them in the Champ bobbing along at around 2000. 

I think Rochdale does have some potential for growth. It's quite a large town and has some strong community clubs in and around

49 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

On the pitch but I´m thinking commercially. Population of borough 200,000 so if you always think about trying to capture 1% then 2000 is possible but it doesn´t have the same potential of others. Still, Manchester RL needs a boost so I´d like to see them do well. 

Nobody has ever cracked why Rochdale folk dont support their clubs,

Good thread to share this:

https://l.messenger.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fthunderrugby%2Fstatus%2F1456663765345349635%3Fs%3D21&h=AT1pTZzdaqn8IWGqW6VvuX84tsyspdHfgph5FA-fga-N81w2tkF5Ip6bxosFfn_3wz2GUTvvlqoAXqVce2RJZGkEHgcp4QuHoorJGFbbvCmPo2bGEnsZJuO9mcLedD3oHGv_6g

After the events of the last week its great to see what expansion can look like when done well. Investment in the grassroots and community clubs should eventually have an impact on Thunder's gates. I really hope they reach Super League in the next few years with a couple of geordies in each matchday squad. 

I really like what Newcastle are doing and it seems like Coventry/Midlands are adopting a similar approach. This should definitely be the blueprint for expansion clubs. I'd like to see Sheffield and the  London clubs grow the community game in their areas

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

Which clubs do you think will be in a stronger position in 5-10 years, on field, financially and commercially?

I like the sound of what both Barrow and Rochdale are doing, I think they’ll both be at the upper end of the Championship by 2027 if the current owners stay. Maybe Sheffield too once the new ground is in place. 

Id probably add North Wales to that list too

5 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Yeah I didn´t mention it before but thought this was the time to let everyone know. When wakefield upgrade their dump and get a 3g pitch I´ll have a soft spot for them too. 

Do you fit plastic grass ? 

7 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Hybrid pitches contain plastic. You can’t support other stadia uses just using grass.

25 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

And newcastle being in a city with 260,000 with Gateshead adding another 100,000.  

Yes Newcastle have money invested but thats clearly because they have a higher ceiling.  Would be good if Barrow can pull in 2000 and be a strong champ club.  

True but googling the greater Infurness region and towns around Barrow, a very strong RL hot bed boasting many old and healthy amatuer clubs, there's around 100,000 to120,000 people. There is easily potential to achieve 3 to 5 thousand with a successful campaign and to push for Superleague in the future, also with the influence in already having a women's team already in the Women's Super League ? 

54 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

And newcastle being in a city with 260,000 with Gateshead adding another 100,000.  

Yes Newcastle have money invested but thats clearly because they have a higher ceiling.  Would be good if Barrow can pull in 2000 and be a strong champ club.  

Barrow averaged over 2000 this year in League 1 so will be hoping for nearer 3000 in 2022 I would hope 

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Plus South Shields which adjoins Newcastle with another 100.000,

3 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Though Newcastle isn’t a RL town whereas Barrow is. 

Archived