Clubs on the Up

Eddie

1 minute ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Well the Broncos are on the UP I think 100%

UP the creek without a paddle:(

Tweet up there from the supporters association about attendance being in the thousands only to be reminded that can barely get 3/400 these days.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

I'd disagree completely , you build a fan base when successful , hopefully you retain a % of that gain when less successful 

After the low ebb of the 80s, Soccer crowds grew across the board through the 90s. This was on the back of Italia 90, grounds being made safer and more congenial, and Soccer generally becoming more fashionable to follow. Those elements meant every club could potentially build and retain a larger core fanbase irrespective of on-field fortunes.

6 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

much better than having one or two clubs dominate everything over a long period 

Not sure why you think this point is at odds with the argument I made. 

Big clubs needing to dominate to retain their fanbase, and smaller clubs needing to win more to grow their fanbase, are two sides of the same coin.

4 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Big clubs needing to dominate to retain their fanbase, and smaller clubs needing to win more to grow their fanbase, are two sides of the same coin.

Or weirdly sometimes when teams get relegated to a division below where they ‘should’ be in the scheme of things it galvanises their support and they come back stronger, that’s happened to plenty of struggling traditional league teams who’ve gone down to the conference. Maybe parallels with Barrow when they went down to League One. 

17 hours ago, Eddie said:

Why would he do that, when they’d have to pay more tax on gate receipts? 

You think the Government charge tax on what it says in League Express?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 hour ago, Griff said:

You think the Government charge tax on what it says in League Express?

No but I do think the Rev would have a look at what gate a club declared in public and compare it to the gate receipts that they said they’d received for that match. 

7 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

After the low ebb of the 80s, Soccer crowds grew across the board through the 90s. This was on the back of Italia 90, grounds being made safer and more congenial, and Soccer generally becoming more fashionable to follow. Those elements meant every club could potentially build and retain a larger core fanbase irrespective of on-field fortunes.

Up to a point - the early/mid nineties football was so popular that you could get over 3,000 in the non-league for the top sides (and I don't mean ex league ones either - your Wokings, Stevenages, Yeovils, Kidderminsters could nudge 4k if they were playing each other), but conference - level 5 - attendances have fallen right back.

Lots of infrastructure got funded in the lower football leagues that they wouldn't be able to afford now. 

51 minutes ago, Eddie said:

No but I do think the Rev would have a look at what gate a club declared in public and compare it to the gate receipts that they said they’d received for that match. 

You're mistaken.

HMRC enquiries have ground to a halt over the last ten years.

1 hour ago, Griff said:

You're mistaken.

HMRC enquiries have ground to a halt over the last ten years.

I'd be amused/amazed even if a club was by poor luck the victim of an HMRC call if they tried to do some revenue or VAT proof in total (based on figures they'd struggle to find anyway).

Even then you'd just say "ah that's rubbish we just put out for PR purposes, here's the real list."

2 minutes ago, M j M said:

I'd be amused/amazed even if a club was by poor luck the victim of an HMRC call if they tried to do some revenue or VAT proof in total (based on figures they'd struggle to find anyway).

Even then you'd just say "ah that's rubbish we just put out for PR purposes, here's the real list."

Turnstile readings will trump newspapers as evidence.

1 minute ago, Griff said:

Turnstile readings will trump newspapers as evidence.

I don’t think many L1 clubs have electronic turnstile monitoring?  It’s well known that football clubs used to understate attendances for the very reason of paying less tax. 

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I don’t think many L1 clubs have electronic turnstile monitoring?  It’s well known that football clubs used to understate attendances for the very reason of paying less tax. 

And then HMRC started turning up with clickers, I believe.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

55 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Electronic ??   Eeeeh - how did we manage before computers ?   It's amazing that we survived.

So - these soccer clubs.   Did they have electronic turnstiles ?  Who are they ?   Or is it not as well-known as you imply?

6 minutes ago, Griff said:

Electronic ??   Eeeeh - how did we manage before computers ?   It's amazing that we survived.

So - these soccer clubs.   Did they have electronic turnstiles ?  Who are they ?   Or is it not as well-known as you imply?

No idea how old you are, or if you ever went to football, but it was often quite blatant. For instance I remember a Merseyside derby attendance being announced as 38k when there wasn’t a space in the house in the 45k capacity stadium - cue mirth in the crowd. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

No idea how old you are, or if you ever went to football, but it was often quite blatant. For instance I remember a Merseyside derby attendance being announced as 38k when there wasn’t a space in the house in the 45k capacity stadium - cue mirth in the crowd. 

Just your opinion.   No facts.

15 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Not sure why you think this point is at odds with the argument I made. 

All clubs need to have the occaisional successful spell / event to help them galvanise better/more support , that's all , the more these spells / events are spread between clubs the better that is for the sport 

Archived