Fax doing things differently?

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

This is the latest of Halifax's new social media efforts. I think they've been really good and are giving the impression of a reinvigorated club.

Very good! :kolobok_biggrin:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, dkw said:

Have Fax had new owners lately, they've kicked on well over the past few seasons. 

The odd change but mostly the same people in charge. New guy doing the media doing a great job though.

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Interested from Fax fans if you think getting towards the 2000 mark is possible? 

Its possible but doubt it will happen on a consistant basis. Rugby just isn't the draw that it used to be and its a lot of money to watch the standard that we do. Ive watched Fax over 30 years and I struggle to get excited for games outside of Fev and Leigh in our division.

10 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

The odd change but mostly the same people in charge. New guy doing the media doing a great job though.

Its possible but doubt it will happen on a consistant basis. Rugby just isn't the draw that it used to be and its a lot of money to watch the standard that we do. Ive watched Fax over 30 years and I struggle to get excited for games outside of Fev and Leigh in our division.

I think if they engaged with the community clubs and schools they might push past 2000. Calderdale is quite a big area and RL is definitely part of the culture

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

This is the latest of Halifax's new social media efforts. I think they've been really good and are giving the impression of a reinvigorated club.

As someone who works for the JL Partnership, a camera pointed at drying paint would be preferable than the John Lewis advert. 

Great effort from 'fax.

I've had a few jobs in Halifax so have quite a few mates from there and I really like the place, so I'd be happy to see Halifax do well. 

But in particular, I worked there in 1987 when they won the CC. I had absolutely no interest in RL at that point but the amount of people into it was incredible and I remember the homecoming after winning the cup. If they could get a quarter of that many people back onside they'd be doing well 

1 hour ago, JM2010 said:

I think if they engaged with the community clubs and schools they might push past 2000. Calderdale is quite a big area and RL is definitely part of the culture

To be fair they do a lot in the schools and at community clubs but again the interest isn't there. There are too many distractions than when I were a lad and all I wanted to do was play and watch Rugby League. Its really hard work to even get lads that are playing in the juniors to go and watch games despite giving free tickets away. I don't know what the answer is but its a problem that affects pretty much every team I would imagine.

49 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

To be fair they do a lot in the schools and at community clubs but again the interest isn't there. There are too many distractions than when I were a lad and all I wanted to do was play and watch Rugby League. Its really hard work to even get lads that are playing in the juniors to go and watch games despite giving free tickets away. I don't know what the answer is but its a problem that affects pretty much every team I would imagine.

Its a shame really. Halifax is one of the places where RL isn't too far behind football in terms of interest. There's quite a few RL clubs and even the locals that are football fans have quite a good knowledge of the game

24 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Its a shame really. Halifax is one of the places where RL isn't too far behind football in terms of interest. There's quite a few RL clubs and even the locals that are football fans have quite a good knowledge of the game

Yeah we were camping in the summer and the Dad of the family in the next tent was from Halifax. When I asked if he liked RL he said not really, but with a bit of probing he knew loads about it, he was just disillusioned with the game. 

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Yeah we were camping in the summer and the Dad of the family in the next tent was from Halifax. When I asked if he liked RL he said not really, but with a bit of probing he knew loads about it, he was just disillusioned with the game. 

I think that's the key really, the disillusionment. If the game could provide a real strategy for growth, marketing and development of the domestic game plus a well organised international calendar and stick with it then I think many fans would return and new fans might get on board also.

There's not many people who watch RL for the first time who aren't Impressed with the product on the field. It's the image of the game that needs working on

So, going by the thread title, I suppose you could say that "the 'fax is a foreign country; they do things differently there"!

For every current Fax fan I speak to about the team, I must speak to about 5 or 6 who no longer go and watch the games but were active supporters in the 80's and 90's.RL was the dominant sport/activity in the town and was backed up by around 15 amateur clubs with upto 30 teams playing in the Pennine League.

The move to the Shay did not help the club and it has been hard to see the decline in both the professional and amateur game (the excellent Siddal club being the obvious exception)

Hopefully next year will see increased interest in a town that was and should be in the future a stronghold of the game.

24 minutes ago, bamfordsbeans said:

For every current Fax fan I speak to about the team, I must speak to about 5 or 6 who no longer go and watch the games but were active supporters in the 80's and 90's.RL was the dominant sport/activity in the town and was backed up by around 15 amateur clubs with upto 30 teams playing in the Pennine League.

The move to the Shay did not help the club and it has been hard to see the decline in both the professional and amateur game (the excellent Siddal club being the obvious exception)

Hopefully next year will see increased interest in a town that was and should be in the future a stronghold of the game.

I'd like to see some of the amateur clubs get revived and run juniors. Calder Valley, Sowerby Bridge and Shelf are clubs that I can remember.

I also enjoyed watching the workshops during the summer

14 hours ago, JM2010 said:

I'd like to see some of the amateur clubs get revived and run juniors. Calder Valley, Sowerby Bridge and Shelf are clubs that I can remember.

I also enjoyed watching the workshops during the summer

That would be great but theres simply a lack of numbers. In all my years I can never remember there not been a team playing under the Ovenden so when they folded this year it was a great shame. There are rumours of the Fax ladies team playing out of there but it would still be under the Fax name rather than Ovenden. As mentioned I do think a lot of it is to do with how the game paints itself. Its hard to get new people involved the people already involved are so down on the sport.

16 hours ago, bamfordsbeans said:

Happen.

I recall visiting Thrum Hall for a YC game in the 80's when Maurice Bamford had been appointed and there were only about 600 in the ground. Like all clubs fans will turn out for a winning team, coupled with a bit of excitement.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived