Dylan Napa on his way to Catalan Dragons

6 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Not sure about this signing. When he first broke into NRL first grade, he was a rambunctious, lively and aggressive forward who made his presence felt. In recent years, he's mainly hit the headlines for the wrong reasons, and hasn't stood out on the field of play.

If McNamara can get the best out of him, maybe it'll work out, but I don't think Napa's mental discipline is what's required.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Not sure about this signing. When he first broke into NRL first grade, he was a rambunctious, lively and aggressive forward who made his presence felt. In recent years, he's mainly hit the headlines for the wrong reasons, and hasn't stood out on the field of play.

If McNamara can get the best out of him, maybe it'll work out, but I don't think Napa's mental discipline is what's required.

Sam Kasiano wasn't firing on all cylinders when he first signed either but my biggest concern is that he'll get a place ahead of local French players like Seguier, Dezaria, Salabio

Decent player, maybe not continued to develop as people expected him to, but then if he had then he wouldn’t be in Super League would he…! He’ll go well for ‘em I’m sure 

Looks like yet another benefit for Catalans of MacBanana’s years at the Roosters eh, he’ll have seen him warts and all over several years so knows what he’s getting 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

8 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Sam Kasiano wasn't firing on all cylinders when he first signed either but my biggest concern is that he'll get a place ahead of local French players like Seguier, Dezaria, Salabio

Are you concerned Louis Jouffret will get a place ahead of of local Halifax players. All professional sports teams have players from all over the World. Catalans will still have Fremch players, and now Toulouse are in Super League there will be more French playing Super League than ever before.

Napa at 28 and a player that was earning $600,000 a year regularly playing Origin is a good signing for Super League. Obviously his form has dipped from that, if it hadn’t there’d be a load of NRL clubs after him and no Super League club would be able to afford him. 

12 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Personally think seguier is much better in the second row 

I think this is a good move both ways . He’s lost his way in a Bulldogs team that’s been in the doldrums , but he had some really good years at the Roosters . He’s only 28 so could be the move will get him going again . There’s a good aggressive , slightly unhinged , player in there . Hopefully Catalans can get him back to where he was 

13 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Which if he’s better than them is fair enough. 

For me one of the striking things about more recent non-French signings by the Dragons has been the management's ability not to pick up those who have no serious intention of working hard and/or behaving responsibly off the field.  Their approach used to be much more hit-and-miss.

I fancy that MacNamara deserves much credit for that, but so, too, I suspect, does Alex Chan.  It is easy to overlook the role of less high profile non-playing staff.  

In similar vein, I was very impressed by Kasiano's improvement last season.  The mental side of that may well be down to the MacNamara/Chan combination, but I suspect the now departed Richard Hunwicks and his immediate colleagues deserve credit for the physical fitness side of this too.

Let's hope that Napa reflects this steady, recent, managerial improvement and is not a throwback to the not always so good old days...assuming his signing is confirmed!

On 07/11/2021 at 07:09, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Napa at 28 and a player that was earning $600,000 a year regularly playing Origin is a good signing for Super League. Obviously his form has dipped from that, if it hadn’t there’d be a load of NRL clubs after him and no Super League club would be able to afford him. 

Dipped 😮 it fallen off  the cliff !!!

He was so bad over the last few years even the rock-bottom Dogs dropped him for poor performances 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

To be honest, I am more excited by the news that Arthur Mourgue has prolonged his contract, and on better terms.  It should increase his chances of staying in SL and of staying in our code.

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

To be honest, I am more excited by the news that Arthur Mourgue has prolonged his contract, and on better terms.  It should increase his chances of staying in SL and of staying in our code.

Is this confirmed? Great news if true.

29 minutes ago, dkw said:

Oui !

Dragons Catalans › News › 2021 › Nov. › Arthur Mourgue signs new contract (catalansdragons.com)

Just now, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Or should that be 'Oc'?  One for the linguists among you!

26 minutes ago, dkw said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/59222202

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

Archived