Sports Marketing

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Broncos could learn from that. Start with making the logo better. Denver have this for example.

https://logos-world.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Denver-Broncos-emblem.jpg

They need to stay at Plough Lane and build from there. You have local youth clubs in Brixton, Richmond, and Bexley. Link up with local schools. Rugby union is only played by the yuppies. League's strength has always been its working class roots.

It's an interesting thread but the first line is nonsense "Marketing matters more than the product."

The thread discusses a 4 year change in fortunes for the Nets from 1991 and attributes this to the change in Marketing philosophy and performance.

However on the court, here are the results.

The 5 years before 1991 the Nets finished in average of 11th place in their division and their aggregate win loss was 112 wins 298 losses (a 27% win percentage).

For the next 3 years they average 6th in the division and their aggregate was 128 wins and 118 losses (52% win record).

It is impossible to disaggregate the on field change in fortunes with the performance of the Marketing department but to disregard the former is just silly.

The answer is of course (as it always is) that both product and marketing matter.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 hours ago, NW10LDN said:

Rugby union is only played by the yuppies. League's strength has always been its working class roots.

First slogan for broadening the game's support and playing base: "Rugby League - it's not for the likes of you, mate." :kolobok_wink:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Basic marketing mix includes the 4 P's/5 P's... that is product is included in the P's.  In the above comment Dunbar showed the improved performance of the club, that is the product improved matching what some spectators wanted... as the Americans would say its marketing 101... the very very basics.

Anyway anyone that is a marketing professional would know wants being said in the opening post/twitter.

The problem is most, maybe all clubs can not afford a fully professional marketing team.

One of the tweets in the thread is 'try to get a bit more from your existing customers'. I don't think we can accuse RL of ignoring that tactic.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

i suggest you watch the australian  nrl channel 24 hour rugby league every game shown, all advertising goes to the nrl all pay for view goes to the nrl they dont use sky they dont need them.  indiginous matches 2nd grade matches forums interviews with world class players of now and yesteryear. the rfl is so far behind now its frightening.

7 minutes ago, Impartial Observer said:

Rugby Union is proof that marketing is more important than the product.

That simply isn't true.

We may not get the attraction (although I enjoy some parts of the sport) but the fact remains... people who watch Rugby Union enjoy watching Rugby Union. 

To assume that people attend the sport despite the fact they don't enjoy it is very naive.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

That simply isn't true.

We may not get the attraction (although I enjoy some parts of the sport) but the fact remains... people who watch Rugby Union enjoy watching Rugby Union. 

To assume that people attend the sport despite the fact they don't enjoy it is very naive.

I suppose it's a strange one , the more they actually understood what going on or just happened , the less they'd probably like it 😉

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

First slogan for broadening the game's support and playing base: "Rugby League - it's not for the likes of you, mate." :kolobok_wink:

I'll change my tune when the England team actually represents the country instead of public schools.

2 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

I'll change my tune when the England team actually represents the country instead of public schools.

I assume you mean the England RU team. Something that has little or nothing to do with growing Rugby League.

We can't afford not to reach out to everyone and anyone who might be interested. Otherwise, we stagnate and rot within unnecessarily self-imposed limits, just because it makes us feel we are "keeping it real". In fact, if the game aims upwards, then maybe we'd end up with a few more influential people on our side in the long run.

The Twickenham rabble can carry on with the same public school focus that has begun to destroy the game in Australia, and that'll be just great by me.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I assume you mean the England RU team. Something that has little or nothing to do with growing Rugby League.

We can't afford not to reach out to everyone and anyone who might be interested. Otherwise, we stagnate and rot within unnecessarily self-imposed limits, just because it makes us feel we are "keeping it real". In fact, if the game aims upwards, then maybe we'd end up with a few more influential people on our side in the long run.

The Twickenham rabble can carry on with the same public school focus that has begun to destroy the game in Australia, and that'll be just great by me.

We should be targeting working class areas within the city. Jamaica have a rugby league team now and the largest Jamaican population lives in Brent. RFU has shown no interest in developing their sport within these areas. Union will carry on just fine. NRL already has Queensland and NSW locked down and are slowly making progress in Melbourne.

4 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

We should be targeting working class areas within the city. 

Let's steer well clear of anyone with money or social/financial/political influence, then. Stay under the thumb and know our place.

Football could have done that in the late Eighties/early Nineties, but they didn't. Now look at the state that game's in!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Let's steer well clear of anyone with money or social/financial/political influence, then. Stay under the thumb and know our place.

Football could have done that in the late Eighties/early Nineties, but they didn't. Now look at the state that game's in!

You think working class folks have no money or influence? Interesting. It's called standing up for your roots. Also, I never actually said we shouldn't attract anyone. Not all middle class folks are yuppies. They are sort of folks who will look down on a man for drinking a pint of lager instead of whatever craft beer is popular now.

Football is very elitist now. Look at those super clubs who have effectively bought the Premier League.

Just now, NW10LDN said:

You think working class folks have no money or influence? Interesting. It's called standing up for your roots. Also, I never actually said we shouldn't attract anyone. Not all middle class folks are yuppies. They are sort of folks who will look down on a man for drinking a pint of lager instead of whatever craft beer is popular now.

Football is very elitist now. Look at those super clubs who have effectively bought the Premier League.

Rugby League would kill for the kind of cash that Football rakes in these days. And even RL clubs wouldn't squander it as badly as Football does. Not that they wouldn't have a bloody good go at it, but I think their ingrained penny-pinching instincts would defeat them.

Rugby League should target anywhere and anyone that's approachable. If it happens to be an affluent district, then why not? If it happens to be an less well-off district, just the same.

Inverted snobbery is just as poisonous and damaging as the traditional type, and maybe more widespread these days.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Rugby League would kill for the kind of cash that Football rakes in these days. And even RL clubs wouldn't squander it as badly as Football does. Not that they wouldn't have a bloody good go at it, but I think their ingrained penny-pinching instincts would defeat them.

Rugby League should target anywhere and anyone that's approachable. If it happens to be an affluent district, then why not? If it happens to be an less well-off district, just the same.

Inverted snobbery is just as poisonous and damaging as the traditional type, and maybe more widespread these days.

So at the end of all this you don't disagree that we should be targeting working class areas within London. You're just upset because I had a jab at yuppies. League's strength will always be its working class roots and ability to provide pathways to professional rugby.

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

That simply isn't true.

I disagree. Whilst there are plenty of people who watch RU because they enjoy it, there are also loads of armchair viewers who engage with the 6 Nations and the Lions first and foremost because of the hype, who wouldn't otherwise give two hoots about club RU. They get hooked in to the event because of the hype. Just the same as those people tuning in to a high profile PPV boxing match who wouldn't otherwise give a monkeys. This is where RL misses out, because we lack the international competition which captures the general public's imagination.

Archived