Away fans

Eddie

16 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I suspect that is more linked to politics/nationalism in the Balkans tbh!

Probably Partizan fan groups, who iirc support all branches of the club not just football. Regardless I’d love to see a few flares (safely) set off at league one grounds to liven things up and maybe attract younger fans in. 

32 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Probably Partizan fan groups, who iirc support all branches of the club not just football. Regardless I’d love to see a few flares (safely) set off at league one grounds to liven things up and maybe attract younger fans in. 

Given the public image and perception of flares at football games, wouldn't that just potentially attract young aggressive males, create a hostile atmosphere and discourage families with small children or away fans? And why would they be suitable for League 1 games and not Champ or SL ones?

3 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Given the public image and perception of flares at football games, wouldn't that just potentially attract young aggressive males, create a hostile atmosphere and discourage families with small children or away fans? And why would they be suitable for League 1 games and not Champ or SL ones?

Well yes maybe it would attract those sort of people, which is a shame because done properly flares and flags etc can look really good, and engage people. 

On Sunday I was in Zagreb and attended the Lokomotiv v Dynamo football game in the Croatian top division. I stood alongside the Dynamo Zagreb Ultras, about three or four hundred black clad (mainly) guys. 

There were flares on the terraces and pitch and plenty of songs that needed a Nazi salute.

It was scary.

Yes, that was Croatia, but I get the feeling that Serbia is no different. I'd be really wary about who the Serbian RL teams get to support them in other Balkan republics. 

Hopefully I'm wrong in my concerns 

3 hours ago, Number 16 said:

On Sunday I was in Zagreb and attended the Lokomotiv v Dynamo football game in the Croatian top division. I stood alongside the Dynamo Zagreb Ultras, about three or four hundred black clad (mainly) guys. 

There were flares on the terraces and pitch and plenty of songs that needed a Nazi salute.

It was scary.

Yes, that was Croatia, but I get the feeling that Serbia is no different. I'd be really wary about who the Serbian RL teams get to support them in other Balkan republics. 

Hopefully I'm wrong in my concerns 

I doubt they have much choice if people attach themselves.

Albanian teams have played in Serbia and found them to be very accommodating and friendly. Sadly the Serbian teams in particular (being named the same as some of the big football clubs) will attract a certain element as the sport gains more profile. 

13 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

They can always respond or distance themselves if they want to. It's up to them if they want to do that.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

They can always respond or distance themselves if they want to. It's up to them if they want to do that.

True, though the amount of sway certain (often unsavoury) fan groups have within some Eastern European sports clubs is something that they will be aware of. Banning the ultras whilst using the team name could be seen as having their cake and eating it sadly. 

Ultimately they can say "we don't want this" but people can and will still turn up at fixtures at the level these games are being played at (park fields).

Its up to them to decide whether the sports club name prestige is worth the potential problems. Up to now it has been, as there have been virtually no problems. In future, who knows.

On 07/11/2021 at 17:01, Eddie said:

Well yes maybe it would attract those sort of people, which is a shame because done properly flares and flags etc can look really good, and engage people. 

🙄[sigh]

Are you having a bad day, Eddie?   Why would I want to "engage" with a bunch of lunatics carrying flares?

I'm far more likely to leave the ground.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

18 minutes ago, Griff said:

🙄[sigh]

Are you having a bad day, Eddie?   Why would I want to "engage" with a bunch of lunatics carrying flares?

I'm far more likely to leave the ground.

I wasn’t talking about you specifically, although one whining old man leaving to be replaced by 10 enthusiastic youngsters wouldn’t be a bad swap. 

On 07/11/2021 at 16:20, Eddie said:

Please explain how flares can be used safely in sports grounds.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

6 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Steady, Johnny.  You'll get labelled as a "whining old man".

This suggestion, I note, comes in a week where a soccer match was abandoned because a player was hit by a firework.

36 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I wasn’t talking about you specifically, although one whining old man leaving to be replaced by 10 enthusiastic youngsters wouldn’t be a bad swap. 

With age cometh wisdom, Eddie.

23 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Flares, no, but most MLS grounds have a designated 'pyro area' and set times during the game where they are allowed to release smoke canisters. All very sanitised and well away from the impact that has been intended through their use on the continent for decades.

Suppose in some ways it is not too dissimilar to those daft flames that the RFL insist on throwing money in to at big games.

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Albanian teams have played in Serbia and found them to be very accommodating and friendly. Sadly the Serbian teams in particular (being named the same as some of the big football clubs) will attract a certain element as the sport gains more profile. 

Wasn't soccer in Australia bedeviled by sectarian violence until a few years ago when many clubs had names related to their countries of origin. This led to violence, particularly amongst the Balkan ex pats. The Aussie FA forced them to change their names, like Croatia Sydney became Sydney United.

Maybe RL in Serbia could consider the same, if there is an issue. And I'm not saying there is. I don't know. 

Archived