Away fans

Eddie

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

See Leyther Matt’s response below 👍

You said flares, citing those being set off in crowds, not a controlled display. Chalk and cheese, don't you think?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 minute ago, Blind side johnny said:

You said flares, citing those being set off in crowds, not a controlled display. Chalk and cheese, don't you think?

Not really, I was referring to controlled pyrotechnics, not like a Boca Juniors home game. 

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

Not really, I was referring to controlled pyrotechnics, not like a Boca Juniors home game. 

And that'll attract the young folk?

I think you overestimate how gullible young folk are.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

I do think there is a place for RL to get a bit more specific in fan areas etc, though it would have to be done on a club basis for most events.

Right now its all a bit samey at some clubs and that causes problems because you are mixing fans with different expectations. The "family game" mantra means that we have little kids in our hardcore supporters stands - and a lot of people don't want that and likewise most parents won't want their kids so close to bad language etc but are able to because of the approach of clubs. There is a group at Warrington who get a bit of a bad name because they stand in a certain section. At Leeds, our kop stand has been turned into a half seated stand and it has impacted the atmosphere generated.

Compare that to say Elland Road for football (used as an example because I know it best). There is a large family stand down one side, a traditional Kop End, a family/corporate stand and a "young lads stand". Plenty of fans start in the family end, migrate to the more boisterous ends, and then end up back in the family end when they start bringing their young kids and they're a bit old for all that. I'm not sure we have that diversity of choice in RL as much as we could. I'm not sure if that has to be forced (ie 16 and older only in some stands) or can be socially engineered.

Places where this is very negative is say at magic weekend, where the lack of family areas has caused issues for fans clashing with people wanting a load of beers. To me, being more specific can help everyone have a better experience.

There could be a place for tifos, coloured smoke things, flags etc. But you can't just plonk that into the ground as things currently are.

19 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Woah there, I didn't say owt, I was just pointing out a sporting context where pyrotechnics amongst fans had been approved and positively encouraged.

20 hours ago, Griff said:

Unless you're wearing a pair, obviously.

Featherstone, again...!

Archived