Big Club ?.

Stirlin

I have no axe to grind here so bear with me , couple of occasions this week York has been tagged as a '' Big '' club , once by Mark Aston commenting on the imminent arrival at Eagles of Jason Bass and another in the General RL section. What defines a big club ? , for the life of me I have never considered the Knights/Wasps as a big club , we have a fantastic new stadium and top training facilities but we rent both and have no real estate to call our own. Not the largest of budgets either but as a team we have for the most part always punched above our weight. So what is it ? , attendance , City , 2 breweries.....the last one was a joke but I would like your opinions as to what it is about us that .....

If it’s the ‘clubs on the up’ thread in the general RL section then I wouldn’t pay too much attention to it - I’ve seen Barrow mentioned a few times, I like Barrow, some great fans and my favourite of the Cumbrian teams but just over a year ago they were in a lot of trouble having been relegated, rumoured financial difficulty (didn’t they have just £40 or something in their bank account at one point?!). A season of practically giving free tickets away (which needs a long term strategy to be successful, IMO) doesn’t make them a big club or even a club on the up. Now, if they have 2 or 3 years of growth and establish themselves as a championship club then they are a club on the up. Like I say I’m a fan of the club and they are doing some good things and have a good setup to generate income but it needs viewing over a longer period than one year.

As for Mark Aston, I think he’s a good coach and notice he often likes to talk other clubs up, means less pressure on his own players. 

I think York are a club with great potential, doing so many things right while I still think a few things need reworking (I’ve added my thoughts on the fans survey, take em or leave em!) but at this current time I wouldn’t say we are a big club. 

Agree with the last 2 posts , we are not a big club , but we have the potential to be one . Wigan , hull ,leeds and saints are big clubs plus a few more superleague sides.  my interpretation of a Big club would be winning a league title ( superleague) grand final or challenge cup plus an average attendance of circa 7,000 , the championship although a great comp has no big clubs but Bradford , Halifax , Leigh , Widnes , Newcastle and ourselves could break through to be the next.

I think the big club thing comes from the club having a proper structure, not just a first team playing on a Sunday and the chairman's wife running the club on a Tuesday afternoon between 2 and 4pm.

World class facilities for training, great corporate hospitality, Foundation does loads of work in the city and schools, LDRL, Ladies team in SL, Excel programme, work with the community clubs, student RL with St John's. Proper staff working full time who are there cos they're good at their jobs, Real standing in the sport, a club people want to be involved with, a proper plan for the future of the sport in the city. So yes, I reckon we're now a big club, at least at Championship level anyway.

Every single pro RL club should be like that really.

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

On 07/11/2021 at 18:57, georgeb1 said:

Agree with the last 2 posts , we are not a big club , but we have the potential to be one . Wigan , hull ,leeds and saints are big clubs plus a few more superleague sides.  my interpretation of a Big club would be winning a league title ( superleague) grand final or challenge cup plus an average attendance of circa 7,000 , the championship although a great comp has no big clubs but Bradford , Halifax , Leigh , Widnes , Newcastle and ourselves could break through to be the next.

Thank you G for not mentioning FEV in your summation  💙

19 hours ago, georgeb1 said:

or fev party poopers😜

FEV have never been party poopers G we look forward to a good KNEES up but we love being heart breakers 💔

18 hours ago, J Phil Loxton said:

I do try my best at goading Coolie 😉 He could be on holiday😂😂😂😂 For what it's worth I do like York and any other club that pulls it's socks up in a manner that your club has.

Correct on holiday been to the Bahamas penguin hunting 

All I found was kit kats & rockys🤔

Big teams are steeped in tradition & history

York are certainly not, neither are Dewsbury, Batley, Sheffield, Hunslet, Halifax.. Featherstone come the closest to been a big team, a club with history & tradition 

But on reflection what else is there in a little village in the corner of the WF postcode, since the demise of whippet racing & pigeon fancying the thug element has drifted down post office Road to attend "the only gig in the village" earning the club countless fines🤔

😎😎😎😎😎

On 09/11/2021 at 10:53, coolie said:

York are certainly not, neither are Dewsbury, Batley, Sheffield, Hunslet, Halifax.. Featherstone come the closest to been a big team, a club with history & tradition 

But on reflection what else is there in a little village in the corner of the WF postcode, since the demise of whippet racing & pigeon fancying the thug element has drifted down post office Road to attend "the only gig in the village" earning the club countless fines🤔

😎😎😎😎😎

It's NOT a village!!!

On 09/11/2021 at 10:53, coolie said:

😎😎😎😎😎

I've supported Fev for 50 years and I've never thought of us as a big club even though we've got a fantastic history considering the size of our TOWN.

Archived