SR Whitehead
SR Bateman
LF Knowles

Interchange

Burgess
Oledzki
Sutton
Welsby

Decent side that could probably beat anyone bar Australia. Lack true world class in the backs compared to the likes of Trbojevic, Tedesco, Cleary et al.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

The usual off-season stuff. Here goes.

FB Tomkins
W Johnstone
C Young
C Farnworth
W Makinson
SO Lomax
SH Williams
P Walmsley 
H Clark
P Thompson
SR Whitehead
SR Bateman
LF Knowles

Interchange

Burgess
Oledzki
Sutton
Welsby

Decent side that could probably beat anyone bar Australia. Lack true world class in the backs compared to the likes of Trbojevic, Tedesco, Cleary et al.

so almost an entirely different team to the one that played France?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

51 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

FB Tomkins
W Johnstone
C Young
C Farnworth
W Makinson
SO Lomax
SH Williams
P Walmsley 
H Clark
P Thompson
SR Whitehead
SR Bateman
LF Knowles

Interchange

Burgess
Oledzki
Sutton
Welsby

Don't think you're far off here barring the outside backs. Only see Tom Davies cementing his place off the back of another strong year with Catalans and Newman will be taking 1 of the centre spots injury permitting.

Welsby absolutely has to be, at the very least, a utility interchange. 

Don't think there are many other potential bolters. Likely to be just too soon for Pryce, Dodd, Pearce-Paul and Smithies but who knows...

4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

FB Tomkins
W Johnstone
C Young
C Farnworth
W Makinson
SO Lomax
SH Williams
P Walmsley 
H Clark
P Thompson
SR Whitehead
SR Bateman
LF Knowles

Interchange

Burgess
Oledzki
Sutton
Welsby

Two years too soon for Young, the lad is still very raw. I would say Connor would be a better shout in the centres. Newman is just not impressing for long enough. Maybe 2022 is his break through year.

14 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I hear that but he’s such a handful that I’ll take a too-soon Young over never-will-be-ready for this level players like Lyne, Hardaker et al. 

We have other options. Those 2 are not hopefully well behind in the pecking order now. Hardaker ain't what he was, and Lyne just never was.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

I hear that but he’s such a handful that I’ll take a too-soon Young over never-will-be-ready for this level players like Lyne, Hardaker et al. 

He really isn't. You seem to be another one blinded by the "he plays in the NRL so he must play for England" propaganda.

The guy has flippers for hands and looks so ponderous he makes props look good. He's had some absolute shocking games for Newcastle and I doubt he'll even be a 1st team regular next year if everyone stays fit.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

16 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

He really isn't. You seem to be another one blinded by the "he plays in the NRL so he must play for England" propaganda.

The guy has flippers for hands and looks so ponderous he makes props look good. He's had some absolute shocking games for Newcastle and I doubt he'll even be a 1st team regular next year if everyone stays fit.

Let's see. 

I saw some highlights from the series win against the kiwis recently and on that, it's hard to fathom Jake Connor not being in the frame for a spot somewhere. A few clips I've seen of Jake Wardle make him look like someone to think about too - I rate him a better prospect than Newman and hope he has a breakout next year. On Dominic Young, it's hard to see him playing centres for Newcastle next year but he could be set to break through on the wing. And speaking of wingers, Johnstone seems a bit too injury prone.

So with all that said, here's my team (not the team I'd pick to play today... I've backed a few guys to force their way in with big seasons next year):

Tomkins, Young, Farnworth, Wardle, Makinson, Lomax, Williams, Walmsley, Clarke, Thompson, Currie, Bateman, Whitehead. Reserves: T Burgess, Partington, Oledzki, Connor/Welsby/Pryce.

13 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Young might be playing in the World Cup but I doubt it will be with England.

Dominic young is 6 foot 7 and Herbie Farnworth is 6 foot 3

Farnworth is a certainty but is might be roo early for young wgobhas played just 6 NRL games 

3 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Dominic Young didn't have 'some' absolutely shocking games for Newcastle last year.   He had one poor game in which he lost possession a couple of times.

As a 19 year old playing in debut season in the NRL he played six games, scored 4 tries, had 2 try assists (not bad for a winger), 14 tackle breaks and 2 line breaks.  He averaged 130 running metres per game.  None of that is shocking, bar the loose carries and his errors in the loss against the Roosters.

Look, I don't mind if you don't rate him but I wish you would just stop making things up to support your point.  You have previously posted that on his debut against St Helens, he was directly at fault for several of the Saints tries.  The video of all the tries is available from that day and none of them went anywhere near him.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I reckon Newcastle Knights and Adam O’Brien know what they’re looking at so Dom Young must have plenty they feel they want to invest in . I agree with them , he’s just turned 20 and he did more than ok in his appearances . He’s got all the physical attributes and good degree of talent and with another offseason in that environment he’ll come on a ton again . WC or not , he’s one to watch in the future 

Archived