Something to think about over the winter

distantdog

I thought I might add a topic which might get us thinking and generating a discussion or two over those long winter months before the season gets back up and running.

I was thinking about our teams since and including 2010 and wondered what people's thoughts were regarding the teams up to this season.

it seems to me we have had a few decent seasons, but also some not so decent seasons.

So the successful ones I would say were

2010 (NRC win) but a pretty poor league campaign, finishing 7th.

2011 - 3rd

2013- 5th but reaching the Championship grand final.

2016 - 3rd and super 8's

2021 - 4th.

My memories of the other seasons are pretty hazy, and I recall 2014 and 2015 as being pretty dire. I also think of the Diskin years as being poor but we did finish 2018 and 2018 in 6th and 7th.

I wonder if that might be down to style of play. Also, which do people think was the best team, player etc

Anyway, I'll leave it there for now and see if anyone has any thoughts about the above seasons.

2011 Rog. 

The Diskin years were dire, especially 2017 when we really should have done better with 98% of our top 4 squad. His appointment was one of the very few mistakes our board have made.

It appears to be a sad pattern though that we never seem to back up on a good season;

2010 NRC Winners 2011 out on 1st round.

2012 Grand Final 2013 not even in positional contention leading to a last match relegation decider later.

2016 Top 4 then a spiral.

2021 Championship semi-final....no, no, NO...

I think we’ll be fine 

2011 we finished 3rd

a few  of the squad went to Fax with our coach 2012/13 we built well under JK before Black was 90% sat in the stand in 2014…

2017 and the other two year we failed to build on 2016 after it was the clubs best seasons after 2002 in league rugby 

I remember coming back to Rugby League in 2009, I enjoyed 2010 season ending with the NR cup.

I was disappointed in 2011 when Karl and half the team or at least that's what it seemed like left for Halifax.

Another stand out season was 2016 when we entered the middle eights and that final match at Heywood Road Stockport against Swinton and the team running in a big score, tidy little ground. 

2 hours ago, RogerT said:

I remember coming back to Rugby League in 2009, I enjoyed 2010 season ending with the NR cup.

I was disappointed in 2011 when Karl and half the team or at least that's what it seemed like left for Halifax.

Another stand out season was 2016 when we entered the middle eights and that final match at Heywood Road Stockport against Swinton and the team running in a big score, tidy little ground. 

You've just upset a lot of posh folk in Sale, Roger.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

16 hours ago, RogerT said:

Serves them right for being t'other side of the Pennines.

Some fine people come from that side, I will have you know.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Trans pennine cup in 1998 made up for absolute drubbing in 1996.

Some might say summer rugby suited the club moreso.

Think 92 was a good one too but Baywatch and gladiators got more of my attention

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

1 hour ago, gittinsfan said:

I would think the last 25 years of my interest in Batley have far outweighed the previous 30.

Main highlights fro the 60's would be CC. WINS AT halifax and Hull K R.

Maybe someone could think of highlights pre 1985.

Most of us weren't born then...

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

7 hours ago, gittinsfan said:

Sorry,can't help being old.What are your highlights from pre the last ten years.

For me, pre the last 10 years, highlights were more odd games, rather than seasons -

John Jones hattrick in a 40 pointer we won at Fulham away in the mid 80s.

Oldham in the snow at home in a Regal trophy game, when Oldham were a good side.

Thrashing Leigh when we had Hugh Gumms and Steve Parrish in the side, early 90s maybe?

Drawing with St Helens at home in the Cup, Bobby Goulding hitting the post with a last minute conversion which bounced in to save the game for them.

The only seasons of note I can really remember were:-

When us a Keighley won promotion but didn't go up.

The season we were pipped at the post by Doncaster in the final game of the season, I've never seen more people crammed into the Mount, before or since.

14 hours ago, Piggy's mate said:

Most of us weren't born then...

You are joking, aren't you?

13 hours ago, gittinsfan said:

Sorry,can't help being old.What are your highlights from pre the last ten years.

On this, there have been plenty. The two that stand out for me were the away win at Leigh in the semi final of the NRC in 2010. It was my favourite ever performance over 80 minutes. Then there was the second half in the win at Fev in 2013 semi. Not great in the first half but it just felt important when Rowe went over for that try just on half time. 

This past season has been fun too, as I have really enjoyed our style of play. 

Oh and the first match of the season against Leigh in 2016, they rather set themselves up to be knocked down!

Gittinsfan I was there at Craven Park Hull that match, what a win, going round  from the open terraces at the end behind the stand where the changing rooms were and listening to the Batley players singing When the red red Robin comes bop bop along, priceless.

9 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

You are joking, aren't you?

I've a job to remember last week let alone the past decade.

I remember the play off away at HKR when we scored first lol the noise we made 

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

9 hours ago, distantdog said:

Can the old gits on here stick to the thread time span and not go off into remeniscing about the Northern Union days!

Without the "old gits" , Batley would lose at least half of their current support . I hope you live long enough to qualify as "old"  . In the meantime , I suggest you go back to school to learn how to spell reminiscing you less than old git !!

59 minutes ago, nineoil said:

Without the "old gits" , Batley would lose at least half of their current support . I hope you live long enough to qualify as "old"  . In the meantime , I suggest you go back to school to learn how to spell reminiscing you less than old git !!

Calm down! Watch that blood pressure! The old gits I am referring to know who they are and will take it in the spirit intended! And while we are being critical of other people's spelling, get your own house in order with some correct use of punctuation! 

8 hours ago, nineoil said:

They've clearly never met you, @distantdog 🤣🤣

Archived