We're officially in hibernation

marklaspalmas

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time to do stuff on a Sunday that you never get the chance to do  during the season. Saying that it’s cold on coast now 😂

Im Fev and im proud

33 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

It's all gone quiet. See you in January

140044286_5c4552af8e_edit2-1400x788.jpg

Serious About Rugby League have seen this post and will shortly splash clickbait all over Facebook linking us with exciting prospect Tom Bullweed.

Anyway...yes it's phoney war season. Apart from JSL, I don't think we have been strongly linked with many other signings, but that doesn't mean there aren't more to come in...for instance, few if any of our overseas signings in recent years became common knowledge before we announced them and with visas etc to sort they might take time to be announced, if indeed there are any such signings in the pipeline.

Then if as mentioned before on here we're getting a contingent from Leeds it might still be a while before we hear about them as they'd probably train full-time with the Rhinos until January and might be contingent on pre-season injuries etc.

So frustrating as it is, it remains worth repeating that you can't always judge how strong the squad looks until close to the start of the season. Same for the likes of Leigh who presumably will have a few more to announce including perhaps more from St Helens on loan/DR.

The one question in my mind at the moment is that if any reinforcements from Leeds are going to be on DR, we are going to look very short of numbers for the Challenge Cup and 1895 Cup campaigns. But again, there's still two and a half months until the season starts.

4 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Serious About Rugby League have seen this post and will shortly splash clickbait all over Facebook linking us with exciting prospect Tom Bullweed.

Anyway...yes it's phoney war season. Apart from JSL, I don't think we have been strongly linked with many other signings, but that doesn't mean there aren't more to come in...for instance, few if any of our overseas signings in recent years became common knowledge before we announced them and with visas etc to sort they might take time to be announced, if indeed there are any such signings in the pipeline.

Then if as mentioned before on here we're getting a contingent from Leeds it might still be a while before we hear about them as they'd probably train full-time with the Rhinos until January and might be contingent on pre-season injuries etc.

So frustrating as it is, it remains worth repeating that you can't always judge how strong the squad looks until close to the start of the season. Same for the likes of Leigh who presumably will have a few more to announce including perhaps more from St Helens on loan/DR.

The one question in my mind at the moment is that if any reinforcements from Leeds are going to be on DR, we are going to look very short of numbers for the Challenge Cup and 1895 Cup campaigns. But again, there's still two and a half months until the season starts.

Don't worry PH 

we have still to announce some very exciting signings moving forward.

1 hour ago, sentoffagain2 said:

What do you think about the new season ticket prices?.

According to grandson  S  says  if we got 13 home games this year the increase in my ST price means  the cost per game is the same as last years 11

1 hour ago, sentoffagain2 said:

It would be cheaper for me to watch C=s in SL £167 standing for cons.

Lest we forget, we're also going to get stiffed this season on the TV monies, thanks in large part to the greed and selfishness of the SL clubs, including C*s.

3 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Can't we just elect to not take part in those competitions, or is that option only available to those championship clubs that the RFL wish to manoeuvre into SL?

Just now, Adam B said:

Lest we forget, we're also going to get stiffed this season on the TV monies, thanks in large part to the greed and selfishness of the SL clubs, including C*s.

Yes super greed will do the game no good in the long run.Game prices it's cheaper to watch West Ham,Man City,and Leeds U than us.I know Premiership can afford it with TV money but Championship Football Clubs are struggling  but Barnsley ,Notts Forest,and Sheffield U all offer season tickets about £3 a game cheaper than us and Huddersfield Town£7.50 a game cheaper.I am not bothered as i can afford it but i think we will sell fewer memberships this year than last.

8 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Yes super greed will do the game no good in the long run.Game prices it's cheaper to watch West Ham,Man City,and Leeds U than us.I know Premiership can afford it with TV money but Championship Football Clubs are struggling  but Barnsley ,Notts Forest,and Sheffield U all offer season tickets about £3 a game cheaper than us and Huddersfield Town£7.50 a game cheaper.I am not bothered as i can afford it but i think we will sell fewer memberships this year than last.

You may be right on the sales front, but let's hope not. That's a very fair point re the cost of games, and the whole thing is looking unsustainable in the long term. However the solution to all of this, which nobody wants to consider (least of all SL clubs, who have enriched themselves and lived beyond their means for the past 25 years at the expense of the wider game) is for all RL clubs to go back to being more or less part time.

The way Barnsley are playing at the minute they'd have to pay me to go and watch them.

34 minutes ago, Adam B said:

Can't we just elect to not take part in those competitions, or is that option only available to those championship clubs that the RFL wish to manoeuvre into SL?

First why would we want to pull out  CC gives us chance to play SL club and make some  money and 1895 the chance to win some silverware

But to answer your question that option is only available to teams who are not full members of the RFL i.e TWP and TO

3 minutes ago, Adam B said:

A slightly shorter version of that answer might have been the word 'yes'.

But the right answer is NO  not playing i the cups was down to the clubs  got nowt to do  with RFL and remember TO haven't played in challenge cup for the last 4 years

You got to understand if ottawa had joined the league this season by your reckoning could be classed as  another option only available to those championship clubs that the RFL wish to manoeuvre into SL?  THEY bought hemels licence so would be full members and  would have had to have to play in both cups 

3 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

It would be cheaper for me to watch C=s in SL £167 standing for cons.

It might be cheaper up front, but when you add on therapy fees and subsequent 24 hour care fees then you'll soon see that a Rovers ST is SO much cheaper!!🤣

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

26 minutes ago, POR said:

You got to understand if ottawa had joined the league this season by your reckoning could be classed as  another option only available to those championship clubs that the RFL wish to manoeuvre into SL?  THEY bought hemels licence so would be full members and  would have had to have to play in both cups 

As we found out to our cost this past year, the RFL are always happy to 'ease' the rules when it suits, and I expect that if expedient they'd consider a similar approach for teams like Ottawa, even in the full membership circumstances you describe.

12 minutes ago, Adam B said:

As we found out to our cost this past year, the RFL are always happy to 'ease' the rules when it suits, and I expect that if expedient they'd consider a similar approach for teams like Ottawa, even in the full membership circumstances you describe.

But there's been no easing of the rules  the rules are in black and white for everyone to see all full members have to play in  all cup competitions  whereas  non members are INVITED to take part  in recent years catalan are  the only team to take up that invitation

20 minutes ago, POR said:

But there's been no easing of the rules  the rules are in black and white for everyone to see all full members have to play in  all cup competitions  whereas  non members are INVITED to take part  in recent years catalan are  the only team to take up that invitation

Apart from their rule requiring clubs to have played a minimum of 70% of their league fixtures to qualify for the playoffs, which I understand they waived in Toulouse's case, to the obvious detriment of all other clubs in the championship.

If you think that was fair or just, or didn't give Toulouse a clear advantage, there's some tartan paint I need you to go and fetch for me.

Archived