Clubs on the up vs clubs on the slippery slope

50 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Next year is a stop gap and it's about 40/45 mins drive. Both venues are fairly equidistant from Coventry 

Was there not a rugby union club in the north of the city, closer to Alexander Stadium? Or would it not have been better to stay in Coventry for one more year? This stop-gap season seems very risky, as you're going to be uprooting from Cov, moving 45 minutes away, and then in a year's time you'll be moving again to the other side of the city.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Was there not a rugby union club in the north of the city, closer to Alexander Stadium? Or would it not have been better to stay in Coventry for one more year? This stop-gap season seems very risky, as you're going to be uprooting from Cov, moving 45 minutes away, and then in a year's time you'll be moving again to the other side of the city.

As I have stated before staying at the BPA was not an option and there is no  other suitable place in Coventry.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

2 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Lots of reasons why Birmingham/Solihull was chosen which have already been mentioned elsewhere. The new 'home' is the long term aim. In the scheme of things 1 year won't make a difference 

47 minutes ago, The storm said:

I thought about sheffield but they are heavily invested in mark aston, and if he left the club would suffer very badly 

Isn’t that the case with Newcastle too? And York, Leigh, and Hull KR, and probably some of the others? That’s professional sport for you. 

4 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Lots of reasons why Birmingham/Solihull was chosen which have already been mentioned elsewhere. The new 'home' is the long term aim. In the scheme of things 1 year won't make a difference 

Was Moseley ever on the table out of interest? They've got a decent stand there if memory serves.

15 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Was it just from a financial point of view or have they started taking on additional tenants to make usage more difficult?

Purely financial. 

The 80% cutting in central funding and the refusal of the landlords to help us grow. Despite them getting 100% of the takings from the bar they didn't even try to help themselves to help us.

We now have an opportunity to grow, we have investment and a new challenge.

From being down and out we now have a future.

Will it work? Well at least we can say we tried rather than just died. Sorry to spoil the wake for the miserable Jeremiahs on here

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Back onto the topic in the OP, I'm surprised that a few clubs haven't been mentioned as being on the 'slippery slope', namely Oldham and Swinton - both playing miles away from their home location with dwindling and ageing fanbases. You can possibly add Hunslet into that, albeit they do actually play in Hunslet.

Perhaps Oldham and Swinton are more down at the bottom of the slope rather than 'on' it?

Being a bit more controversial, I think Salford could be at the top of what might be a slippery slope. If they don't build their fanbase once they move to Moor Lane, where next for them? Probably finding a level in the Championship / SL2

As for the Bulls, I'm not convinced we are 'on the up'. Most Bulls fans wouldn't trust Nigel Wood as far as they could throw him, and I remain to be convinced that we can do much more than maintain the level we are at now without someone coming in with real wealth (which hasn't happened in the past decade of decline)

I'm amazed how many folk who probably have never set foot in a Bears Game suddenly have an opinion about the club and will happily tell those on here, that have spent the last 20 years establishing RL in the Midlands,  that they are doing it all wrong... 

28 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Purely financial. 

The 80% cutting in central funding and the refusal of the landlords to help us grow. Despite them getting 100% of the takings from the bar they didn't even try to help themselves to help us.

That's a shame. It had seemed such a good venue for you. You hear similar stories from so many other RL clubs who are tenants at RU grounds.

21 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Back onto the topic in the OP, I'm surprised that a few clubs haven't been mentioned as being on the 'slippery slope', namely Oldham and Swinton - both playing miles away from their home location with dwindling and ageing fanbases. You can possibly add Hunslet into that, albeit they do actually play in Hunslet.

Perhaps Oldham and Swinton are more down at the bottom of the slope rather than 'on' it?

Being a bit more controversial, I think Salford could be at the top of what might be a slippery slope. If they don't build their fanbase once they move to Moor Lane, where next for them? Probably finding a level in the Championship / SL2

As for the Bulls, I'm not convinced we are 'on the up'. Most Bulls fans wouldn't trust Nigel Wood as far as they could throw him, and I remain to be convinced that we can do much more than maintain the level we are at now without someone coming in with real wealth (which hasn't happened in the past decade of decline)

Why would you distrust NW? From one step removed, it looks to me like he is putting in the effort with a view to restoring the Bulls. I can’t see any personal upside for him from this... 

2 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

I thought about putting salford as a club on the up

Really good squad for 2022

Great new pathways 

Some really good peopke involved in the club 

4 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Especially when Keighley are "on the up" with terrible kits and publicity stunts like the Captain Tom gates.

Strange comment, compare Keighley 2/3 years ago to Keighley now and they are undeniably on an upwards trajectory, terrible kits or otherwise.

8 minutes ago, The storm said:

I thought about putting salford as a club on the up

Really good squad for 2022

Great new pathways 

Some really good peopke involved in the club 

If the ground gets sorted then I'd agree.

I get why people are tipping us for relegation as we were very poor last season but our recruitment has been very good once again and I'm struggling to pick many holes in the squad.

I’ve not commented on this forum for a good couple of years , but I can’t let a couple of ill informed comments go unchallenged (esp Paul Walker). Don’t underestimate Swinton Lions . Yes relegated on the field this year (injuries the prime reason), but there is immense off field development progress taking please which will underpin the club moving forward  . The Lions have also retained and recruited well for 2022, and in my opinion will be the team to beat in L1 next year. 

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

Isn’t that the case with Newcastle too? And York, Leigh, and Hull KR, and probably some of the others? That’s professional sport for you. 

Newcastke have a thriving amature game and excelleny pathways plus a full time squad 

York and the most improved club in the british game and have a great new ground

Hull kr have 8000 supporters ans a lot of young players coming thriugh ascwell as tge best CEO in the rugby football league. 

Leigh have tge supeeb leigh soirts village and a very determined id sonewhat annoying owner 

At sheffield mark aston is everything abd that is the difference 

12 minutes ago, steve wild said:

I’ve not commented on this forum for a good couple of years , but I can’t let a couple of ill informed comments go unchallenged (esp Paul Walker). Don’t underestimate Swinton Lions . Yes relegated on the field this year (injuries the prime reason), but there is immense off field development progress taking please which will underpin the club moving forward  . The Lions have also retained and recruited well for 2022, and in my opinion will be the team to beat in L1 next year. 

It’s not ‘ill informed’ to say that Swinton have a declining and ageing fan base and play miles away from Swinton.

3 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Why would you distrust NW? From one step removed, it looks to me like he is putting in the effort with a view to restoring the Bulls. I can’t see any personal upside for him from this... 

I don’t really want to deflect the thread by rehearsing the whole story.

Basically, Nigel Wood was front and centre in the various shenanigans of who owned the club after the various meltdowns we’ve endured, including the conditions laid down and the various penalties imposed. Then lo and behold, he owns the club!

I accept the club is more stable than it’s been for years and (at least so far as we can see) bills are getting paid. But many (most?) Bulls fans feel there’s an agenda at work here that’s yet to be revealed…

30 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

I don’t really want to deflect the thread by rehearsing the whole story.

Basically, Nigel Wood was front and centre in the various shenanigans of who owned the club after the various meltdowns we’ve endured, including the conditions laid down and the various penalties imposed. Then lo and behold, he owns the club!

I accept the club is more stable than it’s been for years and (at least so far as we can see) bills are getting paid. But many (most?) Bulls fans feel there’s an agenda at work here that’s yet to be revealed…

My view on swinton is positive 

They have 500 loyal and dedicated fans. 

In lewis else they will have a young half who will totally blast that league and liam forsythe will surely score 25 plus 

Coach Coleman is a very interesting choice and i would hope tgey could move in with salford at Moor lane 

9 hours ago, The storm said:

Newcastke have a thriving amature game and excelleny pathways plus a full time squad 

Do you honestly think that isn’t all down to their wealthy benefactor, and that if he pulled out it would all carry on? 

15 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

It isn´t 5-10 minutes from the train stations it´s 25. So you are either wrong or a liar. Secondly uber is not a transport link, it´s a private hire company. Transport links are buses trains and trams which the ground is at best 25 mins from. And clearly it is not appropriate infrastructure for Midlands hurricanes team which anyone but a deliberately evasive pedant would know. 

If people can show me a successful club in the UK stuck behind an athletics track I´d love to see it.  

A bus will go approx ten minutes away from the stadium post Commonwealth Games. There’s far worse linked stadiums about - particularly given it’s the A34 out of town. 

14 hours ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Was Moseley ever on the table out of interest? They've got a decent stand there if memory serves.

Good shout. Bit of a pain to reach by car mind 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Do you honestly think that isn’t all down to their wealthy benefactor, and that if he pulled out it would all carry on? 

Who is their wealrhy benefactor 

The structure at newcastle is firmly in place 

What that list does highlight to me is that teams outside SL are making more progress than the so called big clubs.

I don’t think it’s any secret teams outside of SL have to work a lot harder to market their teams & increase revenue streams just to open the ground of a weekend.

Have SL clubs gotten lazy??

33 minutes ago, binosh said:

What that list does highlight to me is that teams outside SL are making more progress than the so called big clubs.

I don’t think it’s any secret teams outside of SL have to work a lot harder to market their teams & increase revenue streams just to open the ground of a weekend.

Have SL clubs gotten lazy??

With 1.8 million a year off sky most super league clubs have had most of their salary payments covered. 

They have largely stagnated 

Archived