Clubs on the up vs clubs on the slippery slope

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

The whole point of public transport is that you dont need to drive.  A ten minute drive is a long walk and if you have a car you would just use that .

Besides issue with hurricanes is all of it.  Away from train link and in oversized athletics track.  

Have you ever thought of setting your own RL club up, as it’s so easy to do? 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Erm, a gentleman called Mick Hogan. 

'Erm', I'm pretty sure that's not even remotely true

The owner of Newcastle Thunder is Semore Kurdi, who is also the majority shareholder of Newcastle Falcons. He's a local property investor and seriously wealthy

Mick Hogan runs the club on a day-to-day basis but I don't think he has any serious financial input

14 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

I don’t really want to deflect the thread by rehearsing the whole story.

Basically, Nigel Wood was front and centre in the various shenanigans of who owned the club after the various meltdowns we’ve endured, including the conditions laid down and the various penalties imposed. Then lo and behold, he owns the club!

I accept the club is more stable than it’s been for years and (at least so far as we can see) bills are getting paid. But many (most?) Bulls fans feel there’s an agenda at work here that’s yet to be revealed…

......and won't be happy until they are proved right, no matter how long they might have to wait.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

Do you honestly think that isn’t all down to their wealthy benefactor, and that if he pulled out it would all carry on? 

That's true, but then its true for many of the teams in Super League. Or at least they'd have severely cut back and possibly end up down in the Championship.

Do you honestly think that if Ken Davy suddenly decided he was, after all, a fan of Halifax, and he switched all his money to Halifax, that things would just 'carry on'. No, Halifax would almost certainly simply replace Huddersfield in SL. Essentially, there's no difference other than Davy's money.

What the owner of Newcastle has done, to his credit, is NOT simply throw money at the club. The investment so far has been in building foundations, building a pyramid of community clubs, schools work etc. It's only now, several years into the project, that the money has been invested into a FT squad.

I think what Newcastle have done is admirable, and I hope they continue to grow.

6 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

That's true, but then its true for many of the teams in Super League. Or at least they'd have severely cut back and possibly end up down in the Championship.

Do you honestly think that if Ken Davy suddenly decided he was, after all, a fan of Halifax, and he switched all his money to Halifax, that things would just 'carry on'. No, Halifax would almost certainly simply replace Huddersfield in SL. Essentially, there's no difference other than Davy's money.

What the owner of Newcastle has done, to his credit, is NOT simply throw money at the club. The investment so far has been in building foundations, building a pyramid of community clubs, schools work etc. It's only now, several years into the project, that the money has been invested into a FT squad.

I think what Newcastle have done is admirable, and I hope they continue to grow.

Agreed yes it is true of most sports teams, I was just pointing out that Sheffield aren’t unique in that. 

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

Do you honestly think that isn’t all down to their wealthy benefactor, and that if he pulled out it would all carry on? 

I have no doubt that there are costs involved with setting this up, and probably some running costs, but why would those running costs be any different to other areas where there are a network of amateur clubs? And therefore why would it all collapse if the benefactor pulled out? 

Also I thought that Mick Hogan was the energy and drive behind the club as opposed to the money man who was the same man involved with the union club maybe.

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

https://www.business-live.co.uk/enterprise/newcastle-rugby-reveals-field-struggles-20974468

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

20 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Especially when Keighley are "on the up" with terrible kits and publicity stunts like the Captain Tom gates.

I think the 2022 kit may be 'up' on the American comic Super Hero kits,which are now,ever so,yesterday.

The Captain Tom Gate was not a publicity stunt.

Keighley Cougars are on the 'up' with the appointment of Andrew Henderson as Head Of Rugby.

Could any further dispute continue with the ever dwindling number of London Broncos followers.Cheers.Like yourself,I don't think they feel very much on the 'up'.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

North Wales Crusaders have made some decent signings and have just announced they've signed a 2-year deal to remain at their new venue at Eirias Park, Colwyn Bay.

Those saying there's no atmosphere where there's a running track around the stadium need to get to the Zip World Stadium and watch North Wales fans lift the roof of the stand with their support.

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

What his investment suggests is he see's the benefit in having a facility being used all year round , with potentially complimentary fanbases , rather than what we've see many times in the past where an existing club just wants to bleed a new revenue stream 

So yes it looks good and hopefully it will pay off for them , it should be seen as the model for potential further geographical expansion , although finding other sport owners with that type of foresight is very difficult  

20 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Back onto the topic in the OP, I'm surprised that a few clubs haven't been mentioned as being on the 'slippery slope', namely Oldham and Swinton - both playing miles away from their home location with dwindling and ageing fanbases. You can possibly add Hunslet into that, albeit they do actually play in Hunslet.

Perhaps Oldham and Swinton are more down at the bottom of the slope rather than 'on' it.

Oldham are indeed at their lowest in many a year, however, we are playing back in Oldham. Admittedly not where most fans would like us to play and in my view on the wrong side of town. But nevertheless we are in Oldham. On the positive side the club has decided to try something new. Most of the relegation squad have gone, the decent players to Widnes or barrow, with the indifferents to Swinton. And we are doing something different, we are starting from scratch. Many of us are looking forward to the new season. As they say "the only way is up".

3 hours ago, The storm said:

Mick hogan is not wealthy 

You'd think the Crocodile Dundee films would have earned him a few quid.

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

On 13/11/2021 at 12:57, Angelic Cynic said:

I think the 2022 kit may be 'up' on the American comic Super Hero kits,which are now,ever so,yesterday.

The Captain Tom Gate was not a publicity stunt.

Keighley Cougars are on the 'up' with the appointment of Andrew Henderson as Head Of Rugby.

Could any further dispute continue with the ever dwindling number of London Broncos followers.Cheers.Like yourself,I don't think they feel very much on the 'up'.

Can't see anyway back for the Broncos. Londoners don't really know the difference between league and union so anyone who has an interest in rugby will go and see Saracens, LI, or Harlequins. The RFL need a new approach for growing the game in non-heartland regions. Setting up community clubs is expensive in the capital. I think the low cost approach would be to get the game into schools and grow it from there. Maybe long term look at setting up a London schools competition.

5 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

Can't see anyway back for the Broncos. Londoners don't really know the difference between league and union so anyone who has an interest in rugby will go and see Saracens, LI, or Harlequins. The RFL need a new approach for growing the game in non-heartland regions. Setting up community clubs is expensive in the capital. I think the low cost approach would be to get the game into schools and grow it from there. Maybe long term look at setting up a London schools competition.

Did you produce life on mars 

16 hours ago, NW10LDN said:

There is a London Junior League, for the kids to play. 

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Problem is everytime you go up you get pushed out of the city.  Is there any prospect of having a ground good enough for the championship?

None, I'm afraid. Not without investment. I have argued that we move in with an amateur side and obtain joint funding to develop the ground. But it won't happen.

57 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

None, I'm afraid. Not without investment. I have argued that we move in with an amateur side and obtain joint funding to develop the ground. But it won't happen.

Which brings us to the " 100 million investment offered " , yes I can see the need for better marketing of the sport at all levels , increased work on participation , but the only genuine guaranteed return on investment i can see would be infrastructure loans to clubs ' displaced ' and needing stadium upgrades 

On 12/11/2021 at 19:12, ShropshireBull said:

Being from Shropshire and having lived in Birmingham and with all of us knowing the sport, when has being stuck behind an athletics track ever worked? College or Academy games fine but a club is hard. That aside, sad to hear that Bears didn´t get to keep any revenue which makes it pointless at Coventry. 

York from 1989 to 2016 when the stadium was flattened to make way for what we have now.

6 hours ago, newbe said:

There is a London Junior League, for the kids to play. 

There's only 4 clubs within London offering junior rugby and 70+ for rugby union. League is irrelevant in London but keep pretending otherwise.

Archived