Clubs on the up vs clubs on the slippery slope

1 hour ago, NW10LDN said:

There's only 4 clubs within London offering junior rugby and 70+ for rugby union. League is irrelevant in London but keep pretending otherwise.

So there are 4 , then the next challenge is 5 , simple as that 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NW10LDN said:

There's only 4 clubs within London offering junior rugby and 70+ for rugby union. League is irrelevant in London but keep pretending otherwise.

5. I'm counting Bromley Bengals.

6. I'd forgotten Rutlish Raiders.

I also think that "within London" obscures some context. There are also another 10 or so within striking distance of the M25. The LJL is therefore well down the pecking order of sporting priorities but it is not irrelevant.

18 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

5. I'm counting Bromley Bengals.

6. I'd forgotten Rutlish Raiders.

I also think that "within London" obscures some context. There are also another 10 or so within striking distance of the M25. The LJL is therefore well down the pecking order of sporting priorities but it is not irrelevant.

It requires no context. It is irrelevant. Can't complain about London not paying attention to rugby league when you less than 10 clubs in the city. Only one of those clubs are north of the river. And then thrown in the Broncos who can only get a few hundred to turn up to a game. We are constantly told that the sport needs London so questions have to be asked about what the RFL is doing to make that happen.

25 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

It requires no context. It is irrelevant. Can't complain about London not paying attention to rugby league when you less than 10 clubs in the city. Only one of those clubs are north of the river. 

Of course the context is important. Those 6 junior clubs only ever playing against each other is massively different to the situation that we actually have where they are part of a bigger group of around 15 LJL clubs. 

On 13/11/2021 at 15:28, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Oldham are indeed at their lowest in many a year, however, we are playing back in Oldham. Admittedly not where most fans would like us to play and in my view on the wrong side of town. But nevertheless we are in Oldham. On the positive side the club has decided to try something new. Most of the relegation squad have gone, the decent players to Widnes or barrow, with the indifferents to Swinton. And we are doing something different, we are starting from scratch. Many of us are looking forward to the new season. As they say "the only way is up".

Has there ever been any serious talks with the Union club about moving in with them in Bardsley. Just wondering really.

On 15/11/2021 at 20:53, Hemel Rugby League said:

There are more U18 community teams in London & the South East than there are in Cumbria plus we have a Scholarship and Academy programme at London Broncos

London has 18 times the population of Cumbria and you're still including teams from Kent and Essex. Rugby League is irrelevant in London and folks on here need to accept that.

On 15/11/2021 at 20:56, Archie Gordon said:

Of course the context is important. Those 6 junior clubs only ever playing against each other is massively different to the situation that we actually have where they are part of a bigger group of around 15 LJL clubs. 

Not important. Kent and Essex are not London. It doesn't matter if two or three towns in those counties have a club. The bulk of the population who live in London don't.

28 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

London has 18 times the population of Cumbria and you're still including teams from Kent and Essex. Rugby League is irrelevant in London and folks on here need to accept that.

Ok , so we accept that , and what then ? 

On 15/11/2021 at 20:27, NW10LDN said:

... We are constantly told that the sport needs London so questions have to be asked about what the RFL is doing to make that happen.

This is key!

Currently for whatever reason (self inflicted or otherwise) Broncos/Skolars are both in survival mode and could very realistically be in danger of existing - With both part time i really struggle to see how both are going to survive the reduced central finding & fighting over the same small pool of players.

I do believe a successful London team would significantly raise the profile of RL, would attract higher end sponsors & SKY would like them hence help raise the TV contract, but...

How they get there/what support they need/who is going to fund it etc & a myriad of other obstacles/questions in their ways leaves me thinking the ship has already sailed & it’s too late 😞

(Retrospectively the 2019 relegation & loss of most of the team thereafter shows just how far you can fall in 2 years. I know next season they have a shiny new stadium, but compare squad/set up then compared to the squad/set up now.)

On 16/11/2021 at 23:15, NW10LDN said:

Not important. Kent and Essex are not London. It doesn't matter if two or three towns in those counties have a club. The bulk of the population who live in London don't.

What are you saying the next step forward would be then? More semi-pro clubs in London to represent these different areas?

If West Yorkshire can handle 11 clubs, then London and the South East should be looking at more than 2 given its size. In reality of the game's appeal, most of the area would have to be described as unserved.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

45 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

What are you saying the next step forward would be then? More semi-pro clubs in London to represent these different areas?

If West Yorkshire can handle 11 clubs, then London and the South East should be looking at more than 2 given its size. In reality of the game's appeal, most of the area would have to be described as unserved.

What London & SE doesn't need is another semi-pro team. The Broncos are currently hollowing out the Skolars to the detriment of both clubs. It is tragic.

2 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

What London & SE doesn't need is another semi-pro team. The Broncos are currently hollowing out the Skolars to the detriment of both clubs. It is tragic.

There is a very real chance both London clubs could finish bottom of their respective divisions next year. I'd even go as far to say there is a also a slight chance both London clubs may not be even to finish the season next year

8 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

That's not an argument against more teams. London is a huge place and is in effect made up of many individual areas, each with their own identity and people that don't particularly travel out of their own area. Other parts of London could easily have teams if there were people with the money to back them.

The main issue with both London Broncos and Skolars is they have no money and few fans. That shouldn't be used as a stick against others.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

That's not an argument against more teams. London is a huge place and is in effect made up of many individual areas, each with their own identity and people that don't particularly travel out of their own area. Other parts of London could easily have teams if there were people with the money to back them.

The main issue with both London Broncos and Skolars is they have no money and few fans. That shouldn't be used as a stick against others.

There aren't enough players for two p/t teams. Where are your players coming from for the third p/t team?

6 hours ago, crashmon said:

There is a very real chance both London clubs could finish bottom of their respective divisions next year. I'd even go as far to say there is a also a slight chance both London clubs may not be even to finish the season next year

There's no way Skolars will finish below WWR or Cornwall. I think Broncos are in danger of relegation though and I think will really struggle. Not sure why either club wouldn't finish the season 🤔

10 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

There's no way Skolars will finish below WWR or Cornwall. I think Broncos are in danger of relegation though and I think will really struggle. Not sure why either club wouldn't finish the season 🤔

I think with Broncos & Skolars both competing for the same pool of players (even more so if Broncos runs reserve team), Skolars are really going to struggle to get strength in depth. They might put out a competitive 13, but even last season it was noticeable the difference when Skolars had to call in the fringe players from outside the core 17. WWR may find it easier to recruit than Skolars (& WWR have improved yet on year), so i wouldn’t be so confident that Skolars will finish above then.

46 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

There aren't enough players for two p/t teams. Where are your players coming from for the third p/t team?

2 failing clubs is no reason to say no to others, providing they meet the criteria in place. Developing players and the game in their area should be part of that for all professional clubs. A well funded club can absolutely find players.

25 minutes ago, dead man inc said:

I think with Broncos & Skolars both competing for the same pool of players (even more so if Broncos runs reserve team), Skolars are really going to struggle to get strength in depth. They might put out a competitive 13, but even last season it was noticeable the difference when Skolars had to call in the fringe players from outside the core 17. WWR may find it easier to recruit than Skolars (& WWR have improved yet on year), so i wouldn’t be so confident that Skolars will finish above then.

I agree.

A typical Skolars 20-man squad last season contained 5 or 6 players now with the Broncos plus 2 or 3 on loan from the Broncos. That's 40% of their squad gone - and that share has been creamed off the top. 

On 11/11/2021 at 18:05, The storm said:

Clubs on the up

1 York- best young coach in british rugby league and momentum building with some strength added fir 2022. Could easily hit 2000 averages or more

2 Halifax Panthers- New branding and a feel good factor about the club. 

3 Newcastle thunder- Must be aiming for a top 4 with a full time squad and i think it could be close. 

4 North Wales Crusaders-if they can keep the momentum up at colwyn bay, they could have a fantastic future. 

5 Leigh Centurians - Despite going down leigh have made some top class signings and will be hards to beat at LSV. 

6 Bradford Bulls- seem to be getting it right off the field and cam again be a force 

7 Widnes Vikings- with significant investment from fans they have made some great signings for 2022.

8 Hull K R. Probably have the best CEO in rugby league and if they buy their own ground will have a massive advantage 

9 St helens-continue to set tge standards of rugby league in the UK 

10 Keighley Cougars. Lots of excitement surrounding the cougars and andrew Henderson will habe an impact. 

Barrow. - a vibrant club who along with whitehaven, workington and rochdale are my clubs on the up 

And now a few clubs who need to sort some things out 

1 Hull FC. The sacking of Lee Radford on sky was a big no no for me, and pearson has allowed Hull to go stale

2 London Broncos - Going part time could be the end of the broncos in the big time and mostly uninspiring signings for 2022. 

3 Wakefield Trinity. We all know they have a poor ground, but what can they do about it 

4 Coventry Bears. A silly and unnecessary rebranding 

5 West Wales Raiders - remain very much out on a limb with maybe the Badham brothers some light at the end of the tunnel

Nice to se a list buit on cliches and soundbites mixed with astouding ignorance.

Hull K R  🤣🤣

Bradford on the up 🤣

Widnes  🤣🤣🤣

This one really must be a micky take, nobody can be this deluded.

alternatively.

Trinity about to get 2 sides of it's ground re-built and access to 2 million in council cash. If that's down then I must have imagined the really years.

Clueless post, where do they find you people. An Aussie no doubt. 

Archived