Equal Pay

Women picked to play SOO for Queensland will earn the same $15k per game that the men will earn.

Who would have thought the Aussies would be the progressive ones. The Queenslanders at that 😂🤣

In all seriousness, that is a very, very enticing option for talented ladies of any code that are good enough to be Qld SOO players. 

2 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Who would have thought the Aussies would be the progressive ones.

They're playing catch-up: https://www.newschainonline.com/lifestyle/equality/women-will-be-receiving-equal-pay-at-the-rugby-league-world-cup-for-the-first-time-2070 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

There should be no such thing as “equal pay”.

You should be paid what you earn.

The women’s yank footballers beating a group of villagers from Thailand 24-0 in front of a small crowd, and then demanding “equal pay” with men, nonsensical. 

*Side note; a under 17 boys team from Texas beat the US women’s senior team in a game. 

Women's tennis players get equal pay, and rightly so because they generate as much as men. 

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

First thing I thought when I read the original post. The World Cup is paying every participant the same appearance fee across men, women and wheelchair tournaments. 

Now that is progressive.  And outstanding.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

59 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

First thing I thought when I read the original post. The World Cup is paying every participant the same appearance fee across men, women and wheelchair tournaments. 

Now that is progressive.  And outstanding.

I've been involved with Wheelchair Rugby League since 2014 and the payment is a huge step forward. When Wales played in the Wheelchair RLWC2017 the players and staff paid for themselves to get there, the tournament fee and all out of pocket expenses - about £1500 to represent your country as a player, coach or manager!!

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

1 hour ago, DC77 said:

So you're against the wheelchair rugby league players being given equal pay in the World Cup.

An interesting take but you do you.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, DC77 said:

The women’s yank footballers beating a group of villagers from Thailand 24-0 in front of a small crowd, and then demanding “equal pay” with men, nonsensical. 

*Side note; a under 17 boys team from Texas beat the US women’s senior team in a game. 

Women's tennis players get equal pay, and rightly so because they generate as much as men. 

Talking about women tennis players there is a Serbian tennis coach at the golf club where I live when in Spain who spent 8/10 years with Jennifer Capriati as her morning warm up partner he would take 10% of her earnings rather like a golf caddy.

He told me it was worth on. average around 250000 US$ a year much more than he would earn on the mens circuit being ranked around 270 odd in the world.

Old quiz question who is (No longer as it was a few years ago) the highest paid sportsman in New Zealand A Tiger Woods caddy.

Tim Brasher (Remember him) told me once back in. 2003 at the CC Final in Cardiff that he earned more as a golf caddy than when he was a player for Balmain Tigers and Australia.

Sorry to digress 🙂

Paul

So, let me get this straight. We have people complaining on here, a Rugby League fans site, that Rugby League players are getting more to play the game?

Not complaining that the men are getting less (because they aren't) but complaining that women and wheelchair athletes actually being paid more to play the game.

Fills your heart with warmth, I tell ya.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

37 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Talking about women tennis players there is a Serbian tennis coach at the golf club where I live when in Spain who spent 8/10 years with Jennifer Capriati as her morning warm up partner he would take 10% of her earnings rather like a golf caddy.

He told me it was worth on. average around 250000 US$ a year much more than he would earn on the mens circuit being ranked around 270 odd in the world.

Old quiz question who is (No longer as it was a few years ago) the highest paid sportsman in New Zealand A Tiger Woods caddy.

Tim Brasher (Remember him) told me once back in. 2003 at the CC Final in Cardiff that he earned more as a golf caddy than when he was a player for Balmain Tigers and Australia.

Sorry to digress 🙂

Paul

Reminds me of the fact that there are two well known sportsmen called Cameron Smith in Australia.  The recently retired Rugby League player who was Australian and Queensland captain, World Cup and multi Grand Final winner and the golfer of the same name.

28 year old golfer Cameron Smith has so far earned US $17,172,886 on the PGA tour according to the latest stats and that excludes sponsorships etc.

3 hours ago, DC77 said:

Stop muddying the waters and just stick to the female state of origin players in Queensland.

TV ratings that peak at around a million people, valuable media coverage in the lead up in mainstream  print, TV and online media. The women get some great coverage and better remuneration is only reasonable.

It’s also a kickstarter for professionalism in the female game. They have to give enough to cover the players that have to sacrifice work to participate. A half measure would mean they’ll still potentially face dire financial consequences by choosing to participate.

There’s also the investment in the future that the equal payment brings. It sends a high profile and very public signal to females and their allies that the sport thinks about them and sees a future with them. With this in mind the return on investment should hopefully be fantastic.

3 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Women picked to play SOO for Queensland will earn the same $15k per game that the men will earn.

Who would have thought the Aussies would be the progressive ones. The Queenslanders at that 😂🤣

In all seriousness, that is a very, very enticing option for talented ladies of any code that are good enough to be Qld SOO players. 

Isn't "ladies"a bit quaint and retro? For consistency, isnt it Ladies...and gentlemen? Women...and men.  Females and males.

Anyway, equal pay for equal work, which is what probably applies in the club game.  At representative level, easiest solution is to pay everyone the same, even though the women's game is currently way behind the men's game in all respects.  Its changing, though, thank goodness.

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

That’s awesome. Didn’t know that!

I knew Queenslanders couldn’t be that progressive 🤣

1 hour ago, Copa said:

There’s also the investment in the future that the equal payment brings. It sends a high profile and very public signal to females and their allies that the sport thinks about them and sees a future with them. With this in mind the return on investment should hopefully be fantastic.

This is the salient point. It`s a hard-headed business decision. Nothing to do with virtue-signalling.

The hope is that more women and girls will follow and put money into RL in the future. 

I`ve seen some data that the female percentage of the NRL fanbase is substantially lower than for AFL. It logically follows that there`s greater potential for NRL growth among that half of the population. Speculate to accumulate.

On 11/11/2021 at 18:10, Sports Prophet said:

Bonus for agents..👍

Archived