Kenyan Players in Pro RL?

• Like 1

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

2 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Africa isn't too far away and has some sizeable communities in the UK. Investment in these countries and communities could reap big rewards both in SL and for the international game

The opportunities it opens up to those that are able to get a chance to play RL overseas would be huge. France has a small player pool so there would be much to gain there too. The money would be less but it's a stepping stone to higher things if they prove they have what it takes.

Ironically, while this is an Australian initiative, the standard over there would make it harder for young men lacking experience to make the grade. I see the UK and France being a better route to take in that regard.  

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Before you all get too excited, these sorts of stories tend to come up every year in Aussie media during off-season.  If you replace the word KENYA in this article, with CHINA, or USA, then it is pretty much the same stuff they serve us up every off-season... They make a big song and dance about it, then it is all forgotten in a week and they go back to their usual pre-season stuff.

I will never understand why they talk up such initiatives, rather than going to places that already have some foundations in place.  They would be better off looking at places where the game is being played from a younger age, like France for example.

2 hours ago, langpark said:

Before you all get too excited, these sorts of stories tend to come up every year in Aussie media during off-season.  If you replace the word KENYA in this article, with CHINA, or USA, then it is pretty much the same stuff they serve us up every off-season... They make a big song and dance about it, then it is all forgotten in a week and they go back to their usual pre-season stuff.

I will never understand why they talk up such initiatives, rather than going to places that already have some foundations in place.  They would be better off looking at places where the game is being played from a younger age, like France for example.

Pouring cold water on enthusiasm is seldom the route to popularity, but I`m entirely with you on this.

The precise details of past reports have largely merged with the mists of time. I definitely remember one reiteration involving Nigeria a couple of years back where Jayden Okunbor took the role played by Jason Saab in this latest version featuring Kenya. For the Aussie media, a corporeal illustration turns theory into reality - quod erat demonstrandum. They clearly think NRL fans need help to visualize Africans playing RL.

I think other African nations and South America have made guest appearances. At least these stories might alert the uninitiated to the existence of RL on other continents. Though we know from this year`s events it won`t translate into higher regard for the potential of international RL.

Just across the Torres Strait is a country where vast droves are formally and informally playing RL. Very few have made it to the NRL. 

Notwithstanding the reputed decline in male participation and concerns about concussion, there are still plenty of young men in NSW and QLD resolutely intent on a career in the NRL. Many have played since the age of 4, gone through school programmes and club junior rep systems. It`s not impossible that a relatively new player from Africa could leap-frog all the Aussies and Kiwis who enjoy such advantages, but the chances are slim.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

On a related matter - I`ve clicked into a number of items mentioning "Rugby League" in Kenya which have turned out to be covering "Rugby" played in a league.

As everywhere else, the terminology needs to be distinctively precise if we want RL to make progress.

The videos on the Kenyan RL facebook page are pretty clearly of people playing RL though.

10 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I think other African nations and South America have made guest appearances. At least these stories might alert the uninitiated to the existence of RL on other continents. Though we know from this year`s events it won`t translate into higher regard for the potential of international RL.

Very well put. Actually this part you said here reminded me of a headline from a few years back "Brad Fittler planning African raid". The date on the article? Jan 17th, 2017. Bang in the middle of off-season. Sure enough, nothing ever materialised, nor was it ever spoken of again. 

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/rugby-league-legend-brad-fittler-planning-african-nrl-raids/news-story/37fa9408b2147462a88e735b933f8314 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

A busy weekend in Kenya with referee courses, coaching courses and the Kenyan Grand Final. Looks like it was a close match and worth noting that the visiting team traveled 450km for this one! Not sure how long that would take on Kenyan roads, but am sure it is quite a trek. Kudos to all involved!

https://europeanrugbyleague.com/articles/2118/kisumu-win-inaugural-kenya-rugby-league- 

• Like 3