‘A £100m offer could be made next month’

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Money to be spent on ?

Me being a complete ' Thicko ' , I just don't understand where and on what 

EXACTLY 

Please can somebody enlighten me , in simple terms that a simple lad from Leyth can understand 👍

Plenty of people have answered that to you directly throughout this thread.

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Indeed. McManus is on this special committee thing too. 

I think  a few clubs only have the ability to manage and grow finances 

Throwing money at most clubs is a very bad and short term solution 

6 minutes ago, rlno1 said:

Remember Gus Gould's comments after the WC announcement that only the NRL could save British rugby league and big things were happening.

I think we need to leadership and the buying power of the NRL 

NRL in the UK is the answer 

50 minutes ago, The storm said:

I think  a few clubs only have the ability to manage and grow finances 

Throwing money at most clubs is a very bad and short term solution 

So which clubs have the ability ? , And do those clubs need the money to facilitate that growth ?

The growth they can achieve , will it go to the entire sport ? 

Would providing loans to CAS,Wakey,Salford,Swinton,Oldham , even potentially Bradford be short term solutions ? 

The NRL have a dominant position in the two states they are big in and they are still continually on the back foot, continually scandal-ridden, dominated by club self interest and are forever putting the broader interests of the game second. They wouldn't have the first idea how to run the game in the UK.

The only benefit is they're the devil we know and probably (only probably) won't sell us totally down the river when they fail to hit their targets.

35 minutes ago, M j M said:

The NRL have a dominant position in the two states they are big in and they are still continually on the back foot, continually scandal-ridden, dominated by club self interest and are forever putting the broader interests of the game second. They wouldn't have the first idea how to run the game in the UK.

The only benefit is they're the devil we know and probably (only probably) won't sell us totally down the river when they fail to hit their targets.

The club self interest in the two competitions is slightly different though.

In the NRL it feels more corporate concern; TV money, playing in venues that are worth the most to have clubs there rather than "better" local venues for fans. They act in their commercial interest for relatively big numbers.

In England some clubs don't like "no away fans" (despite that being proven to be nonsense) and some clubs would rather have loop fixtures than rep games because they can't afford just H/A fixture lists. This is literally a few thousand pounds at times, if at all (see no away fans).

They are both united by zealously guarding their share of TV monies - though I would argue that the pandemic has exposed what we already knew of the Super League clubs self-interest even more in this regard.

1 hour ago, M j M said:

They also have tv deals of a billion dollars 

2 minutes ago, The storm said:

They also have tv deals of a billion dollars 

Given the Australian sporting landscape and the televisions income of their primary competitor the NRL tv rights deals are not particularly great examples of administrative brilliance.

51 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The club self interest in the two competitions is slightly different though.

In the NRL it feels more corporate concern; TV money, playing in venues that are worth the most to have clubs there rather than "better" local venues for fans. They act in their commercial interest for relatively big numbers.

In England some clubs don't like "no away fans" (despite that being proven to be nonsense) and some clubs would rather have loop fixtures than rep games because they can't afford just H/A fixture lists. This is literally a few thousand pounds at times, if at all (see no away fans).

They are both united by zealously guarding their share of TV monies - though I would argue that the pandemic has exposed what we already knew of the Super League clubs self-interest even more in this regard.

Tommy , do you actually go watching RL games ? , Because you don't really seem to like the sport very much 

2 hours ago, M j M said:

Given the Australian sporting landscape and the televisions income of their primary competitor the NRL tv rights deals are not particularly great examples of administrative brilliance.

I would beg to differ

Just ask the ARU 

28 minutes ago, The storm said:

I would beg to differ

Just ask the ARU 

That's like comparing the Premier Legue to Super League.

How about comparing the NRL to its real competitor AFL whose commercial income, tv rights income, long-term expansion strategy and public image trump the NRL in every single way.

Archived