Anfield World Cup games to move to Wigan

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this is the only fallout from having to shift the whole of the mens, womens and wheelchair WCs at just 12 months notice then it's not a bad overall outcome. Never particularly liked visiting Anfield anyway, absolutely awful seats and nothing to do round the stadium.

33 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Bit frustrating as I had a group of mates who agreed to go on the basis it was at Anfield. Wigan will be a more difficult sell for a night out after.

Wigan was actually one of the best nights out that I had during the 2013 tournament - What I remember of it anyway...

I'm not subscribed to the Times so I can't read the full article. Can someone post the reason why we have to move the games from Anfield.  Thanks.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I'm not keen on a quarter final of a World Cup likely involving the host nation being played at a stadium with a capacity of 25,000. Seems to lack ambition (obviously appreciate the difficulties associated with the postponement) though. Especially since another quarter final (possibly Tonga v Samoa) will be at Bolton. Seems to be fishing from the same pond too much.

Good, I suppose, that Aus / NZ have signed participation agreements last time. Although the latter did so for 2021 and then breached it without any form of sanction, so not getting too ahead of myself.

7 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

I'm not keen on a quarter final of a World Cup likely involving the host nation being played at a stadium with a capacity of 25,000. Seems to lack ambition (obviously appreciate the difficulties associated with the postponement) though. Especially since another quarter final (possibly Tonga v Samoa) will be at Bolton. Seems to be fishing from the same pond too much.

Good, I suppose, that Aus / NZ have signed participation agreements last time. Although the latter did so for 2021 and then breached it without any form of sanction, so not getting too ahead of myself.

Maybe the England QF will no longer be that game and move to a bigger venue.

39 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I don't like Anfield, but it was one of the marquee venues that gave the tournament more prestige. 

Disappointing, but hopefully 24k in Wigan will make up for it somewhat and it will look and sound great. 

It might be a bit unfair but I think the pressure is on Wigan now to make this a sell out and a really good event. After the disappointment of missing out originally then this is a good opportunity to prove people wrong and give the WC a boost in the process. 

While Anfield was one of our marquee venues for the tournaments, I certainly aren't a fan of rugby league being played there. Tiny pitch and some of the most horrible leg room I've ever experienced. The game moving to Wigan doesn't mean it will be England's quarter-final, all the games still have to be rescheduled and reallocated venues so England's hypothetical quarter might be moved to a bigger venue. 

51 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I'm not subscribed to the Times so I can't read the full article. Can someone post the reason why we have to move the games from Anfield.  Thanks.

I can't read the full article either but I'm guessing it's to do with the Qatar World Cup. The PL is pausing for about 7 weeks , but only extending by a week, so that's 6 weeks of games to be squeezed in both before and after Qatar, oh Champions League games as well to fit in too. That could be the reason. 

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Anfield is OK if you have got a 20" leg length, the seat spacing is ridiculously narrow, the most uncomfortable seats I have ever sat in, I vowed I would never go again after the NZ test, but I will definitely go to Wigan.

Never had a problem in the Kop, nor the redeveloped main stand, and I expect the redeveloped Anfield road end will also be fine.

The main issue with Anfield for rugby league is its never looked right having it played in it. 

It’s the most iconic club stadium in the country, and the one foreigners want to experience more than any other, but it’s because it’s so iconic as a football stadium, “This is Anfield”, anything else played there looks like trespassing. What makes it famous is its atmosphere, flags, banners, songs etc. You don’t get any of this when rugby league is there. The ground is almost always packed so seeing swathes of empty seats (a more than half empty Kop) for a rugby league game, that’s not Anfield. A less iconic football ground is more receptible to another sport being played in it.

Robert Elstone spoke from a football background when talking about Anfield: “On behalf of the Super League clubs, we’re delighted to be taking the Dacia Magic Weekend to one of the most famous stadiums in the world.”

What he experienced in football (and his Everton team invariably got a hiding there) cannot be replicated in rugby league. Rugby league has its own identity. 

1 hour ago, DC77 said:

Never had a problem in the Kop, nor the redeveloped main stand, and I expect the redeveloped Anfield road end will also be fine.

The main issue with Anfield for rugby league is its never looked right having it played in it. 

It’s the most iconic club stadium in the country, and the one foreigners want to experience more than any other, but it’s because it’s so iconic as a football stadium, “This is Anfield”, anything else played there looks like trespassing. What makes it famous is its atmosphere, flags, banners, songs etc. You don’t get any of this when rugby league is there. The ground is almost always packed so seeing swathes of empty seats (a more than half empty Kop) for a rugby league game, that’s not Anfield. A less iconic football ground is more receptible to another sport being played in it.

Robert Elstone spoke from a football background when talking about Anfield: “On behalf of the Super League clubs, we’re delighted to be taking the Dacia Magic Weekend to one of the most famous stadiums in the world.”

What he experienced in football (and his Everton team invariably got a hiding there) cannot be replicated in rugby league. Rugby league has its own identity. 

These boards would be boring if we all thought the same way.

Luckily you always provide a unique perspective. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Dallas Mead said:

Real shame this.  Moving from a world famous city and stadium to er….Wigan.  Not good.

I'm not massively negative.  Wigan may not be as famous a city (town) or stadium but this is the Rugby League World Cup and in Rugby League the name Wigan is iconic.

1 hour ago, glossop saint said:

It might be a bit unfair but I think the pressure is on Wigan now to make this a sell out and a really good event. After the disappointment of missing out originally then this is a good opportunity to prove people wrong and give the WC a boost in the process. 

They didn’t miss out though, Leigh got a number of games

Archived