Anfield World Cup games to move to Wigan

On 13/11/2021 at 14:26, Dunbar said:

I'm not massively negative.  Wigan may not be as famous a city (town) or stadium but this is the Rugby League World Cup and in Rugby League the name Wigan is iconic.

I'm not a fervent traditionalist ,but let's not denigrate the town of Wigan. It is after all the most famous Rugby town in the world RL or RU without a doubt . I dont know the reason why it's being moved from Liverpool, but that city has only in recent years resurrected itself  it may have been famous ,but it wasnt world class.  I've always liked the pubs in Wigan and felt safe 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love Rugby League are reporting that only 5 matches have been impacted by the 12 month delay, the double header at Anfield presumably counts as 2 and the wheel chair game at Liverpool Arena, so 2 others affected. That's great work by the team to minimise the impact to such an extent. Looking forward to the news on Friday

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/wigan-to-host-world-cup-quarter-final-anfield-unavailability/?fbclid=IwAR0cva-E6lnO8Graf_cScWFcFFcbBZU8PDaTC4EloGV4bQyafDVh2YpN3mQ

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Just received an email from RLWC2021

SCHEDULE AND TICKETS AVAILABLE
FROM 19 NOVEMBER
rlwc15052020b.png
The road to the rescheduled RLWC2021 officially begins today, as we can confirm that the 61-match schedule will be revealed in full on Friday 19 November at 9:00 (GMT).

In a unique and busy year of international sport and events, staged both domestically and overseas, only five RLWC2021 fixtures (four match-days) have been affected during the rescheduling of 61 matches staged at 21 iconic venues across 18 host towns and cities.

We are delighted to confirm that all 32 teams across the 21 competing nations participating in the men’s, women’s and wheelchair tournaments have fully committed to the tournament in 2022.

In line with the full schedule reveal, general admission tickets and hospitality experiences will go back on sale from 9:00 (GMT) on Friday 19 November.

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

5 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I would move the wheelchair final to the Copper Box. Medway was a sell-out.

We have a real gem in wheelchair RL. It is extraordinarily good to watch live.

Yes it could genuinely get a good 4-figure crowd for the final. We can't be shy.

56 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Love Rugby League are reporting that only 5 matches have been impacted by the 12 month delay, the double header at Anfield presumably counts as 2 and the wheel chair game at Liverpool Arena, so 2 others affected. That's great work by the team to minimise the impact to such an extent. Looking forward to the news on Friday

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/wigan-to-host-world-cup-quarter-final-anfield-unavailability/?fbclid=IwAR0cva-E6lnO8Graf_cScWFcFFcbBZU8PDaTC4EloGV4bQyafDVh2YpN3mQ

I can't be alone in wanting to see big games in big stadiums. I'm sure event crowds are the same. With no Liverpool the England QF should go to a 40k stadium - even Elland Road or a return to Newcastle. Bramall Lane (32k) is also a good shout. Wigan just doesn't do it for me - not for England's World Cup QF

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

Yes it could genuinely get a good 4-figure crowd for the final. We can't be shy.

It's ideal family entertainment that deserves a good crowd. On Saturday, I took my wife and daughter - very far from big RL fans, I can tell you - and they were transfixed by it.

We need to shout from the rooftops about it.

I think it is disappointing that we no longer appear to have a 'marquee' event at quarter final stage. Our Quarter Finals will now be at Hull, Huddersfield, Wigan and Bolton, which is a bit meh.  As bad a ground as Liverpool is, it gives a great impression on TV and shows us as a major event playing in historic grounds.

However, on the flip side, if we can fill all four of these grounds, all hopefully shown live on the main BBC channels over a weekend, it would be a great look.

So, disappointing with the lack of marquee replacement, but Wigan looks great and is a great ground for an international. 

I do think the biggest ground should stage England, which I think is Bolton.

22 hours ago, Davo5 said:

The fact we can’t have a Test Match on a full sized pitch is embarrassing,the area is a slum & transport links back into the city are very poor,it’s hardly a devastating loss to the tournament.

If there's still a match at Kingston Park, how much do you want to bet that the field will still have the RU lines more visible than the RL lines?

On 13/11/2021 at 19:20, M j M said:

Meh, Odsal was rocking when there were 24,000 in for a big game. Lots of stadia are great on big events. Doesn't mean that when you strip away that veneer they aren't found wanting.

Meh? Whatever mate.

I have been at many of the famous European nights at Anfield, and I'm afraid "Meh" simply doesn't cover it. I've also been at big matches at Odsal, Headingley, Wigan, Old Trafford, Wembley, etc, etc etc and none of them come close to Anfield on a big game night.

Maybe you should try it before you dismiss it so easily.

26 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Meh? Whatever mate.

I have been at many of the famous European nights at Anfield, and I'm afraid "Meh" simply doesn't cover it. I've also been at big matches at Odsal, Headingley, Wigan, Old Trafford, Wembley, etc, etc etc and none of them come close to Anfield on a big game night.

Maybe you should try it before you dismiss it so easily.

I fear your apparent emotional investment in the event is blinding you to the reality of the place which is holding it. That's unfortunate.

33 minutes ago, M j M said:

I fear your apparent emotional investment in the event is blinding you to the reality of the place which is holding it. That's unfortunate.

I fear you are confusing " iconic" status with bricks and mortar.

Anfield certainly needs a refit, and has seen better days, but that's not what iconic means. It's the atmosphere that makes it iconic,  it's the hundreds literally hundreds of millions of fans worldwide who's icons play there that makes it iconic.

Comfy seats and lots of bogs are irrelevant, which is why no new stadium can be iconic...yet. Any sport and in fact many football clubs would love an atmosphere like this, see below.

Oh God, come on people we were talking about the quality of stadia and all you're doing is backing up the point by talking instead about the atmosphere created by the people in the stadia.

It's like you're so desperate to defend the honour of your club and some mythical belief that you create the bestest, most awesome atmos ever, that you won't engage rationally. Painful.

The atmosphere at Anfield can be truly remarkable.  Anfield on a stadium list carries more credibitility with the general public than the DW stadium.  Both of those are clearly true.

Doesn't mean it's a good RL stadium though as, frankly, it is a good way down the list for pretty much everyone who has watched rugby there compared to other stadiums.

There are plenty of "iconic" stadiums that are left in the shade by the newer, non-"iconic" equivalents.

It doesn't matter how "iconic" Anfield is and how "new/soulless" the new Spurs Stadium is - I can't wait for the cup final at the latter (and indeed the RLWC semi at the Emirates) and have next to no interest in watching RL at the former.

I'm sure watching European football at Anfield is an incredible experience as a friend of ours recently told me , I agreed , I recall an incredible atmosphere at Old Trafford in 1984 when Utd beat Barcelona including Diego Maradona 3-0 to turn over a 2-0 first leg from the Nou Camp , my friend has only recently started going to the football , also a ' big ' Wigan fan , but never goes to the DW , recent games have been at OT,Wembley and the NC , was also booked for Lamport 

What does this tell us ? , Nothing , a good crowd is a good crowd no matter where it is 

40 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

There has been more people on here saying they are more likely to go now it is at Wigan than at Anfield than vice versa. Whilst good news for that particular game I don't think that this attitude is great for the sport. 

I also think that the fans on here aren't the people the quarter final of a home world cup should be really targeting as growth audiences!

1 hour ago, FearTheVee said:

The atmosphere at Anfield can be truly remarkable.  Anfield on a stadium list carries more credibitility with the general public than the DW stadium.  Both of those are clearly true.

Doesn't mean it's a good RL stadium though as, frankly, it is a good way down the list for pretty much everyone who has watched rugby there compared to other stadiums.

There are plenty of "iconic" stadiums that are left in the shade by the newer, non-"iconic" equivalents.

It doesn't matter how "iconic" Anfield is and how "new/soulless" the new Spurs Stadium is - I can't wait for the cup final at the latter (and indeed the RLWC semi at the Emirates) and have next to no interest in watching RL at the former.

I agree, Anfield was far from perfect and I fear RL was flogging a dead horse with that one.

But that doesn't make the DW better for the tournament.

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I agree, Anfield was far from perfect and I fear RL was flogging a dead horse with that one.

But that doesn't make the DW better for the tournament.

Agreed - that said, I always thought that a RLWC with no game in Wigan was a bit of a nonsense to start with.

5 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

Agreed - that said, I always thought that a RLWC with no game in Wigan was a bit of a nonsense to start with.

Indeed. It seems someone in Bolton has either offered a great deal or knows someone at the RFL.

4 hours ago, M j M said:

Oh God, come on people we were talking about the quality of stadia and all you're doing is backing up the point by talking instead about the atmosphere created by the people in the stadia.

It's like you're so desperate to defend the honour of your club and some mythical belief that you create the bestest, most awesome atmos ever, that you won't engage rationally. Painful.

The main stand at anfield is easily the best stand I’ve ever been in (multiple times) in any sport.  Happy to help 👍

12 minutes ago, Dallas Mead said:

The main stand at anfield is easily the best stand I’ve ever been in (multiple times) in any sport.  Happy to help 👍

And the stand facing it is easily the worst I have been in. It makes the legroom at Elland Road seem spacious. At the Australia v NZ game people were literally leaving at half time and others stood by the entries.

Archived