For Gallant Youths and Old Giffers

Bill H

1 hour ago, RogerT said:

We have had some flyers on our wings at times.

There was one I believe used to used to race in the PowderHall Sprint in Glasgow, it was a race for money so the athletes couldn't take part amateur status and all that snobbery.

I believe it was Jack Hemmingway, there used to be an 100 yds sand track at the bottom of the cricket field.  

Jack Hemmins

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Just popped mine back on the shelf Bi11. My memory isn't that good.

I guessed that the Lingard clue got you into roughly the right era. By the next season he was playing for Dewsbury. For obvious reasons 72/73 would have been a memorable season for you.

11 hours ago, redditchbulldog said:

Jack Hemmins

Thanks for the correction. Yes it was and his dad used to go to the away matches on the supporters bus, not sure whether it was the Lyles one or the bus company one.

At least the Lyles coaches were reasonably comfy. I remember doing a trip to Bramley with a double decker bus from Yorkshiire Woollen District when they picked the oldest, most rickety bus in the fleet. It overheated on the hill up from Birstall Smithies, had to stop to top up the radiator and eventually made it to Bramley about 3 minutes before kick off. YWD used to organise trips from the bus station. They were very cheap but you got what you paid for! 

7 hours ago, Drigdog said:

Yes it was Lyles. We used to take bets on weather they would get us there  before kick-off or break down. They broke down 5 times that I can remember, in the late 60's early 70's.

yes number of times waiting at junc 17 m62 for supporters bus to pick me up and have police stop to tell me that its broken down and they were sending another one on its way , Harry Townley organizing them . good days .

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

10 minutes ago, redditchbulldog said:

yes number of times waiting at junc 17 m62 for supporters bus to pick me up and have police stop to tell me that its broken down and they were sending another one on its way , Harry Townley organizing them . good days .

So did my dad! The supporters club were very active and influential then but were the only source of funding more or less at the time. Much more difficult for the Supporters club to find a niche now. 

• 2 weeks later...

Having seen a old programme on twitter this morning I’ve another season to think about from 1990/91 season 

Top try scorer with 11 tries?

We did the double over Bramley, Whitehaven, Nottingham city

we won 12-6 New Year’s Day vs the enemy Dewsbury 

Simon Wilson & a certain prop had the most appearances 

Failed to score in 3 games that season vs who?

17 hours ago, Bi11 said:

Sonny Whakarua played for us that season.  I remember his "a" team debut at Crown Flatts/Flatt.  So just a stab in the dark I'll guess he was top try scorer?

Flatt.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Flatt.

I'm pretty sure that we have had this discussion before BSJ.  It was originally called Crown Flatts. Somewhere along the way Crown Flatt seems to have become the norm (lazy pronunciation perhaps).  It might be a suitable subject for the Rams forum as to when this now defunct ground became more commonly known by the version that you prefer. I seem to remember the version with the s on the end was not uncommon.  In the meantime I must remember to avoid using the F word. 

As a traditionalist, and if the ground still stood, I could imagine you leading the call for a return to the original name.  Am I wrong?

Subsequent to this now edited post I've messaged you, BSJ,  with a bit more info as to when the "official" name change may have happened.

I've since found equally old references to Crown Flatt, so it seems as if the use of both names goes back a long way.  To be fair to BSJ the official address certainly was or became Crown Flatt.  I liked the complaints about the cold conditions, something that I could sympathise with from my visits to CF.

Anyway, back to KTFs question, any more answers?

23 hours ago, Sir Jekyll Stocking said:

Thanks, Bi11.

Complaints about the conduct of Dewsbury supporters (Dewsbury A vs Leeds A on Saturday 23rd January 1892) from the archives?

They might have changed the name of the ground, and even moved it, but other traditions die hard...

Crown Flatter was there and says that your lot started it.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

11 hours ago, Bi11 said:

I've since found equally old references to Crown Flatt, so it seems as if the use of both names goes back a long way.  To be fair to BSJ the official address certainly was or became Crown Flatt.  I liked the complaints about the cold conditions, something that I could sympathise with from my visits to CF.

Anyway, back to KTFs question, any more answers?

Did you ever go to Watersheddings Bi11?

12 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Did you ever go to Watersheddings Bi11?

I did BSJ.  Less open that CF or Mount Pleasant after the loss of the long stand, but a very cold location next to the Pennines. I also feel an involuntary shiver when I recall games at Thrum Hall. 

7 hours ago, Bi11 said:

I did BSJ.  Less open that CF or Mount Pleasant after the loss of the long stand, but a very cold location next to the Pennines. I also feel an involuntary shiver when I recall games at Thrum Hall. 

All praise summer RL.

Archived