Summer Bash New Venue?

8 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Let's have a Magic Bash and a full week of SL and championship fixtures at St James' Park. Newcastle is the best for a booze up, start on Monday, finish on Friday, cremated on Saturday! Cheers! 🍺🍺🍺

Take out a mortgage the week before 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Headingley favourite according to reports.

Obviously I think its a good venue and works for multiple matches on one day. Whether it is good for the Summer Bash is another point though. 

Another advantage for this type of event is that you can move around the ground fairly easily and there are choices of views. Seated behind the sticks, standing ends, standing side, seats next to the standing side to allow moving between the two easily. Padded seats too!

How many usually turn up for the summer bash anyway?

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Another advantage for this type of event is that you can move around the ground fairly easily and there are choices of views. Seated behind the sticks, standing ends, standing side, seats next to the standing side to allow moving between the two easily. Padded seats too!

How many usually turn up for the summer bash anyway?

Topped out at 16k over the weekend I think.

Realistic and very achievable target I'd say is 20k for the weekend given the fresh venue and its location. If Leeds sell it to their fans as I think they would those should be doable.

18 minutes ago, M j M said:

Realistic and very achievable target I'd say is 20k for the weekend given the fresh venue and its location. If Leeds sell it to their fans as I think they would those should be doable.

Always fewer than 5000 in the ground at any one time, though.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

21 minutes ago, M j M said:

10k a day could be realistic given the proximity to the West Yorkshire teams and the ease of rail access from everywhere else too. It'll be interesting to see how they sell it to Leeds fans, presumably discounted tickets for ST holders?

17 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Have a Referendum players and supporters that should be simple enough.Oop's

Don’t know what the players think but supporter’s vote with their feet

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

9 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

10k a day could be realistic given the proximity to the West Yorkshire teams and the ease of rail access from everywhere else too. It'll be interesting to see how they sell it to Leeds fans, presumably discounted tickets for ST holders?

Knowing RL fans there is no incentive for them to stay for other games if it is at Leeds. You could basically have a tag team of fans going in and out

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

Then the concept is flawed as a fan experience and just designed for TV.

It is tbf. It suited Sky and was the only way they were going to show regular season second division games (bar Toronto 👀).

If Premier aren't showing it I'm not sure.

This is an event for players and fans and isn't a development tool.

The players will definitely approve of playing at Headingley based on the reaction of Championship teams playing there in recent years.

Fans, well no stadium has more pubs and bars on its doorstep although I guess it depends how recently the fans have have been there. But most clubs haven't seen their teams play at the famous old place for a long while. 

Most important though the financial aspect with higher crowds and probably a better rental rate will very much work in the clubs favour and that's critical at the moment.

41 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It'll be interesting to see how they sell it to Leeds fans, presumably discounted tickets for ST holders?

In true RL fashion, Leeds will probably play Cas away on the Saturday or Sunday that weekend.

I know Blackpool is the ultimate Marmite place, but I thought it was perfectly suited for Bash for so many reasons. Over the years, I’ve done the Bash as a couple’s weekend away, a family day out and a stag do and there’s something to suit everybody really. Preliminary discussions with the boss and our usual group is that if it’s at Headingley then we’ll just be doing the day trip for the Leigh game rather than the 3 nights (and more importantly both days of the event) at Blackpool.

Hopefully the proximity to the West Yorkshire clubs should make up for the reduced ‘weekend’ crowd though, and I suppose it’s only fair that Yorkshire has the event for once. 

Archived