Summer Bash New Venue?

It’s very sensible to suggest Headingley and in the final analysis there might have been little choice.

I used to live in Leeds for a short time and it can be fun, but it’s a working town rather than a tourist destination.

Got no dog in the race though and if it washes its face financially in West Yorkshire as an event then great.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brutal honest truth is that the bash held anywhere but Blackpool will not work.

The Clue is in the title.'Summer Bash', the annual seaside knees up / jolly boys or girls outing with a bit of Rugby League thrown in.. 

Whatever your personal view of Blackpool as a destination, the fact is  it just works for an event like this on so many levels . Easy travel /public transport links for the majority of competing teams ,cheap or easily obtainable accommodation, numerous other attractions for those of a non RL persuasion and the stadium situated close to bars and pubs to create an atmosphere between visiting fans .. 

I get it maybe the Northern Working Class vibe is not one that the RFL want to promote but in this instance it works well .. Why change it??  (Or more specifically organise an event when the stadium is out of use as the RFL in its infinite wisdom has managed to do ) 

I see this as a good move. They weren't ever going to get many neutrals to a second tier event many miles away from its core base. They have far more chance doing it in a place the size of Leeds. You'll also get far more traveling fans as it's on the doorstep of most. They may not stay over in Leeds (no need really), but they'll certainly have a good drink and the restaurants will do well.

Are Leeds playing on the Friday or are they away? Could add to their numbers too.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

2 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I see this as a good move. They weren't ever going to get many neutrals to a second tier event many miles away from its core base. They have far more chance doing it in a place the size of Leeds. You'll also get far more traveling fans as it's on the doorstep of most. They may not stay over in Leeds (no need really), but they'll certainly have a good drink and the restaurants will do well.

Are Leeds playing on the Friday or are they away? Could add to their numbers too.

If Leeds are playing other than the Friday or Thursday (home or away) then I give up all hope for Rugby League schedulers.

As an aside, I wish Blackpool still had a pro RL team. 

I concur with Rach that "Summer Bash" implies a weekend away, a hearty promenade, a melodious warm breeze, the marmalade and lemon sunset over the sea whilst sharing a fish supper.

So Leeds it is.🙃

Now wouldn't be cool if Leeds gave back any profit for renting Headingley to the Championship clubs. 

12 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

May isn’t summer, chief. 

Well if we want to be uber specific British summer only lasts 4 days and they're usually midweek so I don't think that would be too helpful, chief. 

May is summer term, chief. 

10 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Well if we want to be uber specific British summer only lasts 4 days and they're usually midweek so I don't think that would be too helpful, chief. 

May is summer term, chief. 

In a sporting context, the seasons are only summer and winter. (Are there any spring or autumn sports?)

Sports played during the summer half (April - September in the Northern Hemisphere) are summer sports. 

As sports seasons are longer than 6 months, there is some overlap. 

10 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

In a sporting context, the seasons are only summer and winter. (Are there any spring or autumn sports?)

Sports played during the summer half (April - September in the Northern Hemisphere) are summer sports. 

As sports seasons are longer than 6 months, there is some overlap. 

Warrington’s title challenge could be considered a spring sport?

12 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I don’t see the point of a ‘summer break’ event in Leeds. 

Blimey. We agree on something.

Bring it to Hastings.

Or, more seriously, the idea of a seaside break is one that works well for this and I think that should have remained the focus.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

It does seem strange planning the weekend then saying it's not at Blackpool. Already promised my boys they'd be going there. Headingley, although I'd go, doesn't fit the mantra of it. I enjoy both magic and summer Bash but for our sport they need a real purpose. Plus an end outcome. 

I stuck for suggestions too. Morecambe, Fleetwood???

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

3 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Turns out the new EFL season starts on the same weekend as Summer Bash which would explain Blackpool's unavailability. Guess nobody thought to ask Blackpool about that when moving the Challenge Cup to May.

They probably knew. But thought sod it, it’s only Summer Bash.

Just now, langpark said:

Has anyone considered Newcastle?  Magic at St James' Park, Summer Bash at Kingston Park?  Perfect size for it, and with Newcastle in this division, will be even better.

This needs to be a commercial event. The fact is that the largest crowds and the best returns for all the clubs are likely to be achieved at Headingley.

This is totally pointless exercise.
Headingley has quite a few pubs that are perfectly fine for a few or after a game but it’s nothing special. Blackpool is dire but at least is a change of scenery. Pointless 

47 minutes ago, wilsontown said:

I respect everyone's views here, but for me there is absolutely no chance I would go to Blackpool for this. But I would seriously consider Leeds.

28 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

This is totally pointless exercise.
Headingley has quite a few pubs that are perfectly fine for a few or after a game but it’s nothing special. Blackpool is dire but at least is a change of scenery. Pointless 

What's up with Blackpool then? 

10 hours ago, fighting irish said:

What's up with Blackpool then? 

Beyond the sea front, it's grotty as hell. Run down boarded houses or empty pubs/cafes. That's no crime but glamorous it ain't. 

Nearby Lytham St Annes is quite posh I seem to remember. 

Perhaps it's a personal thing as I'm so familiar with Headingley - my mum ended her days there and my daughter currently lives there and I could walk there if desperate but as a summer event thing? Nah, I wouldn't think so. 

9 hours ago, wilsontown said:

I respect everyone's views here, but for me there is absolutely no chance I would go to Blackpool for this. But I would seriously consider Leeds.

Can I ask if you've ever actually been to the Summer Bash ? 

Certainly not Blackpool's biggest fan myself but until you actually experience the whole weekend ,you really cant make a judgement as to its suitability for an event like this ...

I'd love to see League 1 have a similar 'do' - Cru's Colwyn Bay home would be good or perhaps Bridlington Town or Southport FC , 3000 /6000 capacity ..

Held on a weekend where there are no other fixtures - given the chance for those who perpetually moan about the very existence of the League to get off their backsides and actually bother to take in some games from that level .

Just a thought .... 

9 hours ago, langpark said:

Has anyone considered Newcastle?  Magic at St James' Park, Summer Bash at Kingston Park?  Perfect size for it, and with Newcastle in this division, will be even better.

Kingston Park itself is fine as a venue but it is in a suburban area with little to entice fans to stay around to drop in and out of games - as is the nature of Bash and Magic Weekend ...

St James Park is slap bang in the city centre ....

Archived