Summer Bash New Venue?

1 hour ago, Rach said:

Can I ask if you've ever actually been to the Summer Bash ? 

Certainly not Blackpool's biggest fan myself but until you actually experience the whole weekend ,you really cant make a judgement as to its suitability for an event like this ...

Completely agree. 

Even though like you, I'm not a particular fan of the place (pleasure beach is good) it's much more likely you'll get people making the effort to go somewhere like this rather than Headingley. Headingley is a fine ground, it's not about slagging that place, it's just that it's not the answer to this particular problem. 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Headingley as an alternative.  A second tier weekend will never be used to attract new fans like magic does so I think it's more about making a good weekend for the current championship teams.

Blackpool would still be my first choice as a family summer weekend away but since that's not available I can't think of a ground more accessible and surrounded by as many independent bars and restaurants etc as Headingley.

Anecdotally, I could probably get a few mates over to Blackpool for the full weekend.  Atleast a dozen would be up for a day of rugby and drinking around Headingley, but I doubt I'd be able to interest anyone in travelling to Coventry to spend the weekend between a motorway junction and a big tesco.

Headingley should increase the Yorkshire attendances but probably will hit Leigh and Widnes's numbers , as for alternatives , there isn't much else really , just hope we can be hassle free on the coach parking as we've had issues there before 

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes , Leeds needs the cash 😉

Whilst I'm sure they'll be fine in the long run they have lost more £££ compared to 'normal' than any other RL club over the pandemic so it will definitely be welcome.

3 hours ago, plug said:

Any team that plays late on saturday mid afternoon will have problems at headingley the place is packed anyway with young party go'ers doing the otley run done it a few time myself and come mid afternoon it gets really messy

As someone who lived in Headingley for 5 years and has been part of a few Saturday Test match crowds of 25k, I'm happy to report that the area could easily accommodate 8-10k rugby fans floating around at that time.

17 minutes ago, M j M said:

Whilst I'm sure they'll be fine in the long run they have lost more £££ compared to 'normal' than any other RL club over the pandemic so it will definitely be welcome.

Yes , but they are also best placed to stand that short term loss , I'm sure you'll be attending the bash to help them out ? 😉

1 hour ago, Gav Wilson said:

As someone who lived in Headingley for 5 years and has been part of a few Saturday Test match crowds of 25k, I'm happy to report that the area could easily accommodate 8-10k rugby fans floating around at that time.

But those 25k test match crowds are in the ground not walking from one pub to the other all afternoon you get say fev v brad kicking off a 7pm there would be  hell of a lot of fans walking between pubs along with all the rest doing the otley run 

7 minutes ago, plug said:

But those 25k test match crowds are in the ground not walking from one pub to the other all afternoon you get say fev v brad kicking off a 7pm there would be  hell of a lot of fans walking between pubs along with all the rest doing the otley run 

Well the other good thing about Headingley is you don't need to leave the ground to go to a variety of bars. It's the only stadium open to us designed specifically to accommodate crowds at day-long events.

6 hours ago, plug said:

Any team that plays late on saturday mid afternoon will have problems at headingley the place is packed anyway with young party go'ers doing the otley run done it a few time myself and come mid afternoon it gets really messy

So you're suggesting that Blackpool isn't full of non-rugby fans on a bank holiday weekend? 

20 minutes ago, spanishknight said:

At Blackpool I'd go for the weekend with a few mates and watch all games, at Headingley I'd only go on the day the Knights were playing and watch the other days games on TV.

True, though the ease of on the day access is also a plus for Headingley in a different way. I'd argue Leeds also potentially appeals more to a younger demographic than Blackpool too. Swings and roundabouts.

40 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

True, though the ease of on the day access is also a plus for Headingley in a different way. I'd argue Leeds also potentially appeals more to a younger demographic than Blackpool too. Swings and roundabouts.

Parking isn't exactly plentiful in Headingley though, so that could be a problem. 

8 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Parking isn't exactly plentiful in Headingley though, so that could be a problem. 

It does for 15k rhinos fans at once and the cricket. Plus it has plentiful amounts of regular public transport both to the city from all over, and to Headingley from there.

13 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It does for 15k rhinos fans at once and the cricket. Plus it has plentiful amounts of regular public transport both to the city from all over, and to Headingley from there.

On the assumption that we want people to stay and have a few pints, a place with decent public transport is better than a place with parking (IMO).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Yeah…. Perfectly true but that’s mostly people who know the area or live close enough to walk or bus/taxi. A load of non-locals looking for non-existent parking spots in Headingley could be a real problem. I know parking places within reasonable walking distance but not everyone will. 

8 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Headingley should increase the Yorkshire attendances but probably will hit Leigh and Widnes's numbers , as for alternatives , there isn't much else really , just hope we can be hassle free on the coach parking as we've had issues there before 

Cumbrian fans will no doubt be delighted with another away trip to Yorkshire really handy for them. 

Archived