Summer Bash New Venue?

8 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Yeah…. Perfectly true but that’s mostly people who know the area or live close enough to walk or bus/taxi. A load of non-locals looking for non-existent parking spots in Headingley could be a real problem. I know parking places within reasonable walking distance but not everyone will. 

Its a ballache for coaches 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Whitehaven to Headingley is 20 miles further and 40 mins or so more than Whitehaven to Blackpool

That’s OK then what’s 40 minutes more? I look forward to travelling across the A66 following all the caravans at the end of July.

32 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Yeah…. Perfectly true but that’s mostly people who know the area or live close enough to walk or bus/taxi. A load of non-locals looking for non-existent parking spots in Headingley could be a real problem. I know parking places within reasonable walking distance but not everyone will. 

England cricket games aren't just all Leeds based folk. The option of trains and buses are plentiful.

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Burley Park and Headingley. I thought you said you knew the area?

Yeah but I was specifically talking about the one called Headingley. If you were coming from Lancashire or my side of Bradford on a train -and didn't particularly know the area- you would probably get to that stop and get off. 

Unless you wanted to go to Burley Park. But then, who does?

And I aren't from Leeds. Luckily enough. 

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

England cricket games aren't just all Leeds based folk. The option of trains and buses are plentiful.

I didn’t say it was impossible, just a bit awkward for newcomers to the area. But I would definitely say the majority of cricket fans either live fairly near-ish or have been there before so know the area a little. 

13 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Yeah but I was specifically talking about the one called Headingley. If you were coming from Lancashire or my side of Bradford on a train you would probably get to that stop and get off. 

Quite frankly I can't see why anyone would get off at Headingley station rather than Burley Park if going to the ground but perhaps it's just me.

10 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I didn’t say it was impossible, just a bit awkward for newcomers to the area. But I would definitely say the majority of cricket fans either live fairly near-ish or have been there before so know the area a little. 

And those that come from further also have the option of the multitude of public transport options available from the city centre. The train to Burley Park and Headingley (insider info but go to BP its closer) is up to every 10 minutes most of the time and there are 5 buses at least that are every 10 minutes or less. Its also walkable if you fancy from the city centre (I did it most days walking from my house behind the Skyrack to town).

In fact I don't even think parking is that bad frankly. Its a suburban area with a few parking controlled areas but there is still loads of places to park that don't.

4 minutes ago, M j M said:

Quite frankly I can't see why anyone would get off at Headingley station rather than Burley Park if going to the ground but perhaps it's just me.

In my experience (mainly of international cricket), its people who don't know the ground too well that get off at Headingley. You always get some confused faces from people staying on the train when 70% of the train empties at Burley Park on matchdays.

21 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Yeah but I was specifically talking about the one called Headingley. If you were coming from Lancashire or my side of Bradford on a train you would probably get to that stop and get off. 

Directions on Google always say to get off at Burley Park and most people do.

On 14/11/2021 at 19:12, Whippet13 said:

Blacklool is unavailable due to the scoccer season dates in 2022, presumably the same for other grounds too hence Headingley:

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/summer-bash-leeds-rhinos-headingley-22164372?utm_source=leeds_live_newsletter&utm_campaign=rugby_league_lve_newsletter&utm_medium=email

North wales crusaders 

Its  a no brainer 

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

In my experience (mainly of international cricket), its people who don't know the ground too well that get off at Headingley. You always get some confused faces from people staying on the train when 70% of the train empties at Burley Park on matchdays.

No you must assume that a load of RL fans from out of town will be well versed in minutiae of local timetables. Get off at Headingley and it's a short walk up the hill (if you can call it a hill) Absolutely no dramas. 

Archived