Mike canon brookes. 30 BILLION

8 hours ago, The Rocket said:

This has been discussed multiple times on these pages.

Off the top of my head over the last twenty years the union salary cap has doubled whereas the Super League cap has declined in real terms or certainly stagnated, that is probably the most telling indicator of all. I think their crowds have been relatively strong but have taken a hit this year ( see thread on `Cross-code forum`). I don`t think it rates as well as Super League on T.V.

I`m fairly certain though that someone on these pages said that despite the advantages that club union has: greater geographical spread; closed ties to the business community often through the `old-boys` network and of course their enviable international calendar, League has still done remarkably well. In fact someone said fan loyalty to their particular club and perhaps by extension the game is far stronger in League.

It would seem to me that despite the advantages that union enjoys the fact that it hasn`t surged ahead of League in that country - like League has done to union over here - is a testament to the relative attractiveness of the codes. Such a bloody shame it has never been harnessed properly.

You seem to based your statistics of someone on this forum saying this and that. If you haven’t watch English club union prior to 1996 before it fully went professional. I would say that they have done remarkably well. Majority of clubs were watched by a man and his dogs while rugby league enjoyed healthy crowds into their thousands. Club union in the 80’s was pretty much park footy. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Taniwha Warriors said:

You seem to based your statistics of someone on this forum saying this and that. If you haven’t watch English club union prior to 1996 before it fully went professional. I would say that they have done remarkably well. Majority of clubs were watched by a man and his dogs while rugby league enjoyed healthy crowds into their thousands. Club union in the 80’s was pretty much park footy. 

That is very true. The rise of club RU in the advent of professionalism has been remarkable. 

Then again, so has the rise of soccer since Sky. Whilst always holding a great margin in national interest, it was nowhere near the behemoth it is today.

Back to @Big Picture, who I will agree, demonstrates there is a lesser interest in millionaire/billionaire speculators or supporters investing in RL clubs. I can’t help but think of the momentum the sport had and subsequently lost in the infancy of SL and Branson tied in with the Broncos.

8 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

That is very true. The rise of club RU in the advent of professionalism has been remarkable. 

Then again, so has the rise of soccer since Sky. Whilst always holding a great margin in national interest, it was nowhere near the behemoth it is today.

Back to @Big Picture, who I will agree, demonstrates there is a lesser interest in millionaire/billionaire speculators or supporters investing in RL clubs. I can’t help but think of the momentum the sport had and subsequently lost in the infancy of SL and Branson tied in with the Broncos.

I think it’s always been a behemoth (well since the late 19th century). All Sky (and new entity that was the Premier League) did was package it. Yes there was crowd issues in the 70s/80s (violence/racism) which was accompanied with the economy being on its knees (closure of many industries, strikes etc), but the sport was unchallenged.

Pre Sky:

The highest recorded power surge to the national grid occurred when England played West Germany in the 1990 World Cup.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5110820.stm

The highest viewing figure ever in the U.K. was for the 1966 World Cup Final. Leeds vs Chelsea in a 1970 FA Cup final replay is in the top 10, and what the second most watched sports event after the ‘66 final (since surpassed by this year’s Euros final) with 28 million.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970_FA_Cup_Final

The big difference to the English game since Sky coverage started is internationally, with deals such as this announced today.

Christ almighty. Blown away by the comparison.

NBC, a foreign broadcaster, is paying the Premier League $2.7 billion for six years

Channel Nine, an Australian broadcaster, is paying the NRL $445 million for five years.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/nrl-nine-tv-broadcast-rights-rugby-league-australia-foxtel/

A home market is paying roughly a sixth.

What it indicates is billionaires are not needed (yet) in RL, not by a long way. The money needed to make a big impact is modest in comparison.

On 19/11/2021 at 15:44, DC77 said:

Christ almighty. Blown away by the comparison.

NBC, a foreign broadcaster, is paying the Premier League $2.7 billion for six years

Channel Nine, an Australian broadcaster, is paying the NRL $445 million for five years.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/nrl-nine-tv-broadcast-rights-rugby-league-australia-foxtel/

A home market is paying roughly a sixth.

What it indicates is billionaires are not needed (yet) in RL, not by a long way. The money needed to make a big impact is modest in comparison.

It's worth noting that NBC has the same parent company as Sky, Comcast.  That company clearly has plenty of money to spend on the rights to broadcast pro sports.

On 19/11/2021 at 10:39, Taniwha Warriors said:

Union clubs are in significant debt in a sport that is mostly tedious to watch 

Having said that the wallabies have played 19 internationals in the last two years compared to the kangaroos zero (it may be 20 now) 

And here is the problem when a world class sporting team has zero visibility and exposure compared to the much weaker union brand. 

Union at club level in the UK is massively in debt, with some clubs owing as much as 70 million

Super rugby has really poor viewing figures comoared to the NRL 

Union survives still by corporate support like in japan, where tge supporter base is very small 

I notice the mighty sale sharks still attract just 6000 yet are hoping to purchase their own ground just as wasps did 

We have a strong supporter base in our game and poor administration but in the Kangaroos, the Kiwis, samoa, Tonga, PNG and even fiji we have potentially huge iconic brands 

Sort it out administrators 

9 hours ago, The storm said:

Union clubs are in significant debt in a sport that is mostly tedious to watch 

Having said that the wallabies have played 19 internationals in the last two years compared to the kangaroos zero (it may be 20 now) 

And here is the problem when a world class sporting team has zero visibility and exposure compared to the much weaker union brand. 

Union at club level in the UK is massively in debt, with some clubs owing as much as 70 million

Super rugby has really poor viewing figures comoared to the NRL 

Union survives still by corporate support like in japan, where tge supporter base is very small 

I notice the mighty sale sharks still attract just 6000 yet are hoping to purchase their own ground just as wasps did 

We have a strong supporter base in our game and poor administration but in the Kangaroos, the Kiwis, samoa, Tonga, PNG and even fiji we have potentially huge iconic brands 

Sort it out administrators 

I agree. All those wasted years since 1895 and this is what we have today.  Our administrators generally have signally failed to penetrate the sporting conciousnous of the nation. Until we manage decent column-inches in the nations broadcast news and in the on-line and printed media in a regular and frequent manner, we'll remain in the shadows. Until, for example, we have a cheerleader in the national broadcaster who speaks up for, evangelises and proselytises in the way Burden does daily on Radio Five Live, we'll remain at national level an object of interest only a couple of times a year or when things go wrong.

Mind you, if we had a regular programme of 10 internationals a year....

Archived