Innovative Warrington & NFTs in RL: Is there a market?

tiffers

So, anyone interesting in collecting RL digital tokens/art? Warrington appear to be the first RL club to jump on the NFT band wagon as highlighted by the recent Martyn Sadler article

Anyone fancy owning a Warrington digital "kit-card" (https://opensea.io/collection/warrington-wolves-rlfc-2022-kit-cards) for the equivalent of $595?? Currently no bids on most of the digital assets advertised. This follows other sports and teams starting to "drop" collectables such as Man City: https://www.mancity.com/news/club/nft-launch-man-city-63757018

Prepare for a tonne of things like this to emerge in the near future... Looks like Warrington are well on top of this trend.

So:

1) would you prefer something like this "in real life"?

2) whats the opportunity for RL in this space?

So from an investment perspective, the value is in the physical rather than the digital?

Surely there must be some value in the first ever NFT issued in RL, that alone should give it some kind of longer-term value you'd of thought.

Any speculators/early adopters willing to take the risk??

I admire Warrington for giving it a go but I can't see too many takers.

I was seriously considering a bit of NFT speculation myself a few months ago but decided there are just too many pitfalls for a small time investor. If you're not careful any cash you have soon gets swallowed up in broker commissions, plus the reviews of OpenSea are mixed to say the least - plenty of horror stories of user accounts being suddenly closed and the currency disappearing into a void. I decided it was just too big a risk.

If RL fans think it's risky buying Grand Final tickets for any more than £20 I can't see there being a stampede for NFTs. The only opportunity I can see in the short term is possibly for NRL clubs to give it a go. There would possibly be a bit more prestige attached to owning an NFT from Souths for example, rather than a British club.

57 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Is this some sort of fan token crypto currency? 

Digital images that you purchase. Any one can still copy them but you actually own them. Wayne Rooney and John Terry going mad for them. Happy to be corrected but I am not sure they are ‘regulated’ and it does seem a bit ‘bitcoin.’

You have to congratulate Warrington for being at the forefront of innovations but this is something that I would personally steer clear off.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/inews.co.uk/news/football-fans-warned-they-could-lose-all-their-money-on-nfts-promoted-by-wayne-rooney-and-john-terry-1298987/amp

10 minutes ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

Digital images that you purchase. Any one can still copy them but you actually own them. Wayne Rooney and John Terry going mad for them. Happy to be corrected but I am not sure they are ‘regulated’ and it does seem a bit ‘bitcoin.’

You have to congratulate Warrington for being at the forefront of innovations but this is something that I would personally steer clear off.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/inews.co.uk/news/football-fans-warned-they-could-lose-all-their-money-on-nfts-promoted-by-wayne-rooney-and-john-terry-1298987/amp

Blimey, sounds like the sort of ‘investment’ someone with more money than they know what do with would make, not your average Wire fan. 

Loads of fan tokens have appeared in Crypto.com lately, they’ve all dropped in value while the rest of it has been going steadily up (until today). I don’t know why anyone would be so into a club that they’d waste their money on that garbage. 

35 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Blimey, sounds like the sort of ‘investment’ someone with more money than they know what do with would make, not your average Wire fan. 

Loads of fan tokens have appeared in Crypto.com lately, they’ve all dropped in value while the rest of it has been going steadily up (until today). I don’t know why anyone would be so into a club that they’d waste their money on that garbage. 

I work to help people reduce and prevent gambling harms and whilst this isn’t regulated by the gambling commission and does not fall under the general categorisation of gambling, it is certainly on the radar to watch out for. Bear in mind though things like loot boxes, skins, Bitcoin and regular investment can all fit under that umbrella, it’s complicated. Some will probably win big on it and many will lose and suffer in other ways. As my old Grandad said if it looks too good to be true then it probably is.

Archived