TRL Helpdesk: 100% disk usage

10 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

My computer is running really slow. I go on task manager and keep getting shown that my disk usage is 100%, feel like I've tried loads - made sure its up to date, restarted.

Any help?

Is this a permanent thing? My work laptop goes like that for about 10-15 minutes after start-up, then reverts to normal. A lot of it is down to OneDrive synchronising shared files and Windows running various start-up scans at the same time. I usually switch the thing on 30 minutes before I'm due to start work and let it do its thing.

How much RAM do you have installed on your machine? Right-click on the Windows button and select 'System'. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Is this a permanent thing? My work laptop goes like that for about 10-15 minutes after start-up, then reverts to normal. A lot of it is down to OneDrive synchronising shared files and Windows running various start-up scans at the same time. I usually switch the thing on 30 minutes before I'm due to start work and let it do its thing.

How much RAM do you have installed on your machine? Right-click on the Windows button and select 'System'. 

8 GB of RAM when I've checked how you said.

Likewise I think its a startup thing but it literally lasts for hours

26 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

8 GB of RAM when I've checked how you said.

Having lived with 4gB RAM for too long on my old machine, Id say 8 is the absolute bare-bones minimum you can get away with these days. Your motherboard probably has slots for more RAM chips to be added, which can be done in a few minutes by someone who knows what they are doing.

The duration of the 100% disc usage is a bit worrying, though. When it's doing that, right-click on a blank part of the taskbar and select "Task Manager". If you're getting that much disc usage, it may take a while to open, and take a little longer before the information displayed becomes real-time (changing all the time).

Then select "more details" (if it isn't showing multiple columns already) and you can click on each column header to sort and see what is using up CPU, Network, Disk, etc. resources the most.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

22 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

That's a useful starting point for working out what to do next. Is it permanently at 100%, or does it eventually get down to some lower level? Is this Windows 11 or something else?

7 minutes ago, JonM said:

That's a useful starting point for working out what to do next. Is it permanently at 100%, or does it eventually get down to some lower level? Is this Windows 11 or something else?

Windows 10, I turned it on at 6:30 and its still like this

8 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Having lived with 4gB RAM for too long on my old machine, Id say 8 is the absolute bare-bones minimum you can get away with these days. Your motherboard probably has slots for more RAM chips to be added, which can be done in a few minutes by someone who knows what they are doing.

The duration of the 100% disc usage is a bit worrying, though. When it's doing that, right-click on a blank part of the taskbar and select "Task Manager". If you're getting that much disc usage, it may take a while to open, and take a little longer before the information displayed becomes real-time (changing all the time).

Then select "more details" (if it isn't showing multiple columns already) and you can click on each column header to sort and see what is using up CPU, Network, Disk, etc. resources the most.

It seems to be "system", but the actual numbers are low 1.5 to 8 MBs 

A few things to try then.

1. Start > Settings > Updates and Security

- just check that it actually updated and hasn't got stuck part way through an update. It should say "you're up to date"

2. Try disabling superfetch

- press the Windows and R keys at the same time. Type in services.msc when it prompts with 'open'. Hit OK and then scroll down to superfetch (if you can't find it, look for sysmain instead). Under Startup type, click Disabled and then OK. Restart the PC and see if if helped If it didn't, turn Superfetch back on the same way, but choose Automatic instead of Disabled.

3. Try disabling windows search (Wsearch)

- Same process as above.

2 hours ago, JonM said:

Try disabling windows search (Wsearch)

Also look into options regarding Windows search indexing, which can slow things down a lot on start-up.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

How does one do that?

There's advice on halting it temporarily (until your next restart) here: https://eu.azcentral.com/story/money/business/tech/2021/03/29/can-search-indexing-slow-down-your-computer-heres-what-you-should-know/7003442002/

That way, you can see if it makes a difference. The last part may also be useful, which deals with permanently limiting what gets indexed.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived