George Hotel Museum not going ahead (Merged Threads)

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Seems like its being considered according to the Huddersfield Examiner

Have you got a link?

The council paid well over the odds for the building with it to be the centre of some fanciful regeneration of Huddersfield Town Centre

17 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Have you got a link?

The council paid well over the odds for the building with it to be the centre of some fanciful regeneration of Huddersfield Town Centre

Huddersfield's George Hotel may not be used to house Rugby League museum - YorkshireLive (examinerlive.co.uk)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I must admit I’ve never been in Huddersfield Library, and I may be underestimating it’s magnificence, but I assume putting the National RL museum in it would be rather tin pot. 

shushhhhh!

• Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 hours ago, theswanmcr said:

Pretty much the whole  point of it being awarded to Huddersfield is for it to be in the George Hotel itself.

If it’s not there then you’d better having it in a ‘bigger’ rugby league town like Wigan or a major city of Leeds or Manchester for visitor numbers. 

Or, what about the building from where the Northern Union/Rugby Football league was administered for its first 35 years? The first home of the greatest game, where the most important rule changes were formulated, 13 a side, play the ball etc. No 11 Queen St, Oldham. From here Joseph Platt (son of Oldham, Father of Rugby League) ran the game. Makes sense to me. I mean the George hotel hosted a , what?, 2 hour meeting and a booze up after. Whereas 11 Queen St has real history. 

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Like 2

Would the museum not be a good fit for the proposed RFL centre at the Etihad? Along with the RFL headquarters, training base and community hub it could make it a real centre for the game. It's also in a major city with very good transport links.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

Would the museum not be a good fit for the proposed RFL centre at the Etihad? Along with the RFL headquarters, training base and community hub it could make it a real centre for the game. It's also in a major city with very good transport links.

Or here....

3366.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&quality=

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Or, what about the building from where the Northern Union/Rugby Football league was administered for its first 35 years? The first home of the greatest game, where the most important rule changes were formulated, 13 a side, play the ball etc. No 11 Queen St, Oldham. From here Joseph Platt (son of Oldham, Father of Rugby League) ran the game. Makes sense to me. I mean the George hotel hosted a , what?, 2 hour meeting and a booze up after. Whereas 11 Queen St has real history. 

I get the history and sentiment but it’s currently in use, is in a quiet hidden street, in a town that has seen rugby league’s importance wane in recent years and I can’t see the council backing that seeing as they’ve never managed to sort of the Roughyeds ground problems (after promises made years ago).

The George Hotel has that ‘Webb Ellis’ almost mythical history and iconic symbolism now. It is also available and right next to the train station.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

I get the history and sentiment but it’s currently in use, is in a quiet hidden street, in a town that has seen rugby league’s importance wane in recent years and I can’t see the council backing that seeing as they’ve never managed to sort of the Roughyeds ground problems (after promises made years ago).

The George Hotel has that ‘Webb Ellis’ almost mythical history and iconic symbolism now. It is also available and right next to the train station.

This, it is a no brainer FFS! A festival outside in the main square every August 29th. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

I must admit I’ve never been in Huddersfield Library, and I may be underestimating it’s magnificence, but I assume putting the National RL museum in it would be rather tin pot. 

I always admire the Victorian buildings when I've been to Uddy but surely it's better we have our national RL musein a big city like Leeds?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Etihad is not exactly easy* to get to if you are visiting Manchester.

*Not in the centre its a bit of a way out.

The RL museum needs to be in a building that is used for other purposes. As a standalone project it will never be viable.

The old Wigan post office has been bought by a guy who owns a few pubs in Wigan and he is turning it into a pub and tea room, a big building only a few hundred yards from both Wigan stations (Leythers can come by bus), North South and East West connections, ideal location.

The redevelopment of Wigan town centre also opens up other opportunities to be part of the new complex which will be far less retail based and more entertainment and leisure based.

Not that I am biased but other suggestions are $h!t 🙂

Edited by Padge
  • Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

10 hours ago, Scubby said:

Or here....

3366.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&quality=

Apropos of that pic, the urban myth is that the guy who owned the house refused to budge, so they had to build around him. But the real reason was that the ground was too unstable to build on, so McAlpines Fusiliers went around it. 

Edited by Johnoco

17 hours ago, Eddie said:

The grand plan is to move the library into a new media and entertainment facility where the current plaza and indoor market stand. If this were to come to fruition I can see it making more sense. The George is actually quite a small building meaning that it would either not be viable as a hotel with the museum also there or the museum would be squeezed into a small, totally inappropriate space.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

13 hours ago, LeeF said:

Well Kirklees MC are well known for their inability to organise or stick to anything. They make the RFL & SLE look competent. 

Another "blame it on the council" head rises above the parapet.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

12 hours ago, theswanmcr said:

That is the station that will be closing down for two years in 2023?

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Yes, that's the one. Of course, with you being a true rugby league fan, you choose to make it sound negative. 

Huddersfield Railway Station set to close for 30 days as part of £1.5 billion rail electrification works

The station is set to close for a month – twice - as part of a planned modernisation of the region's railways.

Huddersfield Railway Station set to close for 30 days as part of £1.5 billion rail electrification works - YorkshireLive (examinerlive.co.uk)

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Yes, that's the one. Of course, with you being a true rugby league fan, you choose to make it sound negative. 

Huddersfield Railway Station set to close for 30 days as part of £1.5 billion rail electrification works

The station is set to close for a month – twice - as part of a planned modernisation of the region's railways.

Huddersfield Railway Station set to close for 30 days as part of £1.5 billion rail electrification works - YorkshireLive (examinerlive.co.uk)

The line east from the station will be closed for up to two years and west for an as yet undisclosed period. Today's announcements will exacerbate this. If you simply want to go to Bradford or Halifax then fine.

Yorkshire Live is a seriously ill-informed source.

1 hour ago, LeeF said:

So you are a supporter of KMC and believe that they are competent?

Wrong forum.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

The line east from the station will be closed for up to two years and west for an as yet undisclosed period. Today's announcements will exacerbate this. If you simply want to go to Bradford or Halifax then fine.

Yorkshire Live is a seriously ill-informed source.

so what is your reliable source for saying the station will be closed for two years?