George Hotel Museum not going ahead (Merged Threads)

I guess I'm in a minority of one but I can not ever see me making an effort to the visit the museum in Huddersfield George Hotel and I'm a keen RL fan.

If I was involved I'd be looking at making a mobile complemented by a on-line visual museum.  The mobile going around different stadiums making a big promotional push with the clubs at each one as well as taking it to appropriate events or towns to widen awareness. You can do remarkable displays in big artic's and portable building that can look impressive.

Of course you could do mobile to complement a George hotel base but just think as it wouldn't be the priority it wouldn't get the investment.

To me I just think as the years beyond its opening the George will not attract many visitors putting its commercial viability in doubt and it becoming a ongoing cost to whomever foots the bill.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I'd go and see it in Uddy....I'd prefer it in a big city but I also see the value of having it where it all began...I'd combine it with an away game obvs

Red John mentions the mobile variety and I think that would ideally supplement any museum.  Stepho, who used to run the museum and own lot of the memorabilia in it had a lot of success with a mobile roadshow in Aus.

It would also be an ideal way to improve match day experiences at Clubs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

I guess I'm in a minority of one but I can not ever see me making an effort to the visit the museum in Huddersfield George Hotel and I'm a keen RL fan.

If I was involved I'd be looking at making a mobile complemented by a on-line visual museum.  The mobile going around different stadiums making a big promotional push with the clubs at each one as well as taking it to appropriate events or towns to widen awareness. You can do remarkable displays in big artic's and portable building that can look impressive.

Of course you could do mobile to complement a George hotel base but just think as it wouldn't be the priority it wouldn't get the investment.

To me I just think as the years beyond its opening the George will not attract many visitors putting its commercial viability in doubt and it becoming a ongoing cost to whomever foots the bill.

You are not in a minority of one because I agree and imagine many more will too. I understand the romanticism of it being at the George but the cold reality is that for many it is just not an attractive venue and isn't and attractive location. I would say the same for most RL towns.

As I said previously Manchester ticks all the boxes to me and ties in with the RFL moving there and the new facility. Failing that Leeds. I just don't see anywhere else being either an attractive enough place to visit for the majority of people or commercially viable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

I just wish they would it done and do the research properly by visiting other renouned museums and attractions.  We dont want anything cheapskate.  

Listening to Tony Collins (who I believe is involved in this project) they have learned from other museums. 

redjohns’ mobile idea sounds like a good one. You would get more visitors I’d imagine. Get the feeling that nowadays people can’t be @rsed traipsing miles to somewhere for the like of this. 

• Thanks 1

One week, when I was working in Leeds (while I was living in London), I made a decision to stay at the George and experience the birthplace of our sport.  A great decision as I really enjoyed the stay.

We are in a fortunate position as a sport that our identity can be traced back to such a specific time and place... for me it is crazy to consider anywhere else as the heritage museum for our sport. 

• Like 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

9 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Red John mentions the mobile variety and I think that would ideally supplement any museum.  Stepho, who used to run the museum and own lot of the memorabilia in it had a lot of success with a mobile roadshow in Aus.

It would also be an ideal way to improve match day experiences at Clubs.

Mobile roadshow yes but we do need a proper bricks and mortar one

Thinking about it would it make sense to have it at somewhere like Headingly?

9 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Mobile roadshow yes but we do need a proper bricks and mortar one

Thinking about it would it make sense to have it at somewhere like Headingly?

I would be ok with that although it would have to go up a few notches in quality, compared to the previous one.  

• Like 1

On 17/11/2021 at 20:54, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Or, what about the building from where the Northern Union/Rugby Football league was administered for its first 35 years? The first home of the greatest game, where the most important rule changes were formulated, 13 a side, play the ball etc. No 11 Queen St, Oldham. From here Joseph Platt (son of Oldham, Father of Rugby League) ran the game. Makes sense to me. I mean the George hotel hosted a , what?, 2 hour meeting and a booze up after. Whereas 11 Queen St has real history. 

Bang on there mate. 

1 hour ago, moorside roughyed said:

Bang on there mate. 

I am trying to raise the profile of 11 Queen st, Oldham and Joseph Platt. The blue plaque on the building is not even an RFL sanctioned plaque. A few years ago there was a tour of notable RFL sites, was 11 Queen st part of that tour? No! Oldham council needs to up the profile by having "First home of the Rugby Football League" on its road signs. Joseph Platt organised the George hotel meeting, and the later one in Manchester. If only he had gone for the Greaves Arms in Oldham. But he didn't.

2 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

I am trying to raise the profile of 11 Queen st, Oldham and Joseph Platt. The blue plaque on the building is not even an RFL sanctioned plaque. A few years ago there was a tour of notable RFL sites, was 11 Queen st part of that tour? No! Oldham council needs to up the profile by having "First home of the Rugby Football League" on its road signs. Joseph Platt organised the George hotel meeting, and the later one in Manchester. If only he had gone for the Greaves Arms in Oldham. But he didn't.

Where would rugby league be without Joseph Platt. From an administrative point of view rugby league did start in Oldham. It's just the first meeting to tell union to sod off was in Huddersfield. 

On 18/11/2021 at 13:44, JohnM said:

so what is your reliable source for saying the station will be closed for two years?

That is the station that will be closing down for two years in 2023?

OK, effectively closing down for two years. Does that make you happier?

The line from the west will be being electrified which means bus-replacement services for many months, probably more than a year. Subsequently the line to the east will be being electrified with similar disruption. There will be no through services between Manchester and Ledds for a very long time.

I don't see the presence of the station alongside being a major factor in the future of the George, which is the key point.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

7 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

OK, effectively closing down for two years. Does that make you happier?

The line from the west will be being electrified which means bus-replacement services for many months, probably more than a year. Subsequently the line to the east will be being electrified with similar disruption. There will be no through services between Manchester and Ledds for a very long time.

I don't see the presence of the station alongside being a major factor in the future of the George, which is the key point.

I agree entirely. The LSV gets on fine. 

The George is OK as a place of pilgrimage for us members of the secret society that is rugby league, but it is hardly likely to be discovered by anyone else.  Media City would be OK as we could run educational courses for the adjacent licence-funded Guardians of Truth.

An alternative might be next to the new HQ of Channel 4 TV in Leeds as their Head of Sport has relocated there.

PS: Why should I be happier, or even worse , happy? I'm a rugby league fan.

Edited by JohnM

24 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Why doesn’t the RFL just take over the George and use it as one of their main offices and then manage the museum while there?

Not accessible enough. That's why they have moved from Red Hall in the first place.

Like it or not we need big city experience and shared attractions.. Huddersfield will not give you that. The Camra beer train from Manchester will on its own not give enough footfall to make it work and very few will make a pilgrimage just to see the George.

Outdated thinking. Has anyone taken expert advice ( this is rugby league after all ! )

Mather and co based in south Manchester are actually world leaders on design / implementation of museums. and especially sports museums. Google them - their portfolio is truly impressive.

CEO Chris Mather is a former ESRL   International player and Wigan St Pats graduate..........

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JohnM said:

PS: Why should I be happier, or even worse , happy? I'm a rugby league fan.

As Albert Camus said "We must imagine Sisyphus as being happy."

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

23 hours ago, del capo said:

Not accessible enough. That's why they have moved from Red Hall in the first place.

Like it or not we need big city experience and shared attractions.. Huddersfield will not give you that. The Camra beer train from Manchester will on its own not give enough footfall to make it work and very few will make a pilgrimage just to see the George.

Outdated thinking. Has anyone taken expert advice ( this is rugby league after all ! )

Mather and co based in south Manchester are actually world leaders on design / implementation of museums. and especially sports museums. Google them - their portfolio is truly impressive.

CEO Chris Mather is a former ESRL   International player and Wigan St Pats graduate..........

I’m sure they can run one of the RFL departments out of the George. HR for example. Head office for the Development management team. Are there any left?

Edited by Sports Prophet