George Hotel Museum not going ahead (Merged Threads)

17 hours ago, Devon Ram said:

Is this just for Kirklees taxpayers, who will be footing the bill for the running costs?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

48 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Is this just for Kirklees taxpayers, who will be footing the bill for the running costs?

How many Kirklees taxpayers are there mate and what are the running costs?  If you don’t know the answer to both those questions then surely you’re moaning just for the sake of it?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

The fact its on Change.org should answer your question plus people from down under have signed it, has for Kirklees taxpayers yes if the council don't stick to the agreement the lottery funds wont happen.

3 hours ago, Devon Ram said:

The fact its on Change.org should answer your question plus people from down under have signed it, has for Kirklees taxpayers yes if the council don't stick to the agreement the lottery funds wont happen.

Heritage funds don't pay for running costs.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 hours ago, Dallas Mead said:

How many Kirklees taxpayers are there mate and what are the running costs?  If you don’t know the answer to both those questions then surely you’re moaning just for the sake of it?

I am a Kirklees taxpayer. I guess that you aren't. 

I thought the George Hotel had been the museum of Rugby League for about 26 years now. I remember being refused entry with my 4 year old daughter because it was a pub, and they didn't allow children in. 1998

Edited by CornwallRL

6 hours ago, CornwallRL said:

I thought the George Hotel had been the museum of Rugby League for about 26 years now. I remember being refused entry with my 4 year old daughter because it was a pub, and they didn't allow children in. 1998

It has never had a museum, there was a heritage centre in one of the downstairs room that was mainly Stevo's personal stuff and was pre arranged admittance, the founders bar where the famous meeting took place was that - a bar.

• Like 1

On 26/11/2021 at 20:36, Dallas Mead said:

How many Kirklees taxpayers are there mate and what are the running costs?  If you don’t know the answer to both those questions then surely you’re moaning just for the sake of it?

Where do you live and how much are you prepared to contribute towards the maintenance of this museum?

Sadly the vast majority of Kirklees taxpayers have no interest in RL, whether that is it's history or it's future. To ask them to subsidise your personal interest is both arrogant and ignorant.

I don’t think the Kirklees taxpayers need to be RL fans, they just need reassuring that any investment will generate sufficient business in Kirklees to make a return on the investment.

The national football museum moved from its spiritual home in Preston to Manchester because it didn’t pay its way. In Manchester charges were introduced presumably for the same reason.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Where do you live and how much are you prepared to contribute towards the maintenance of this museum?

Sadly the vast majority of Kirklees taxpayers have no interest in RL, whether that is it's history or it's future. To ask them to subsidise your personal interest is both arrogant and ignorant.

You’ve not answered the question again mate, let’s have a guess then.  £1 a year per person maybe?  Even a Yorkshire person couldn’t complain about that surely 😂

10 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

I don’t think the Kirklees taxpayers need to be RL fans, they just need reassuring that any investment will generate sufficient business in Kirklees to make a return on the investment.

The national football museum moved from its spiritual home in Preston to Manchester because it didn’t pay its way. In Manchester charges were introduced presumably for the same reason.

' The Way We  Were ' museum at Wigan Pier was an award winning development with international acclaim ( and investment ). covering Victorian life in Wigan and the North generally.

Closed in 2007 through lack of footfall. Be careful what you wish for.......

Personally I would prefer Rugby League Cares to focus on its core charitable purposes......especially with .the current concussion issues potentially stretching their resources enormously.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, del capo said:

Personally I would prefer Rugby League Cares to focus on its core charitable purposes......

Yes, why is it Rugby League Cares who are doing this?

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, Dallas Mead said:

You’ve not answered the question again mate, let’s have a guess then.  £1 a year per person maybe?  Even a Yorkshire person couldn’t complain about that surely 😂

Do your own research. Then answer my question - how much are you prepared to stump up?

Most museums sound great to the enthusiasts but constantly struggle financially. A RL one will be at the lower end of that league. It is unlikely to generate much, if anything, towards the economy of Huddersfield or Kirklees in general.

Please don't laugh at your own jokes - it is quite childish.

This type of museum needs local council backing and needs to be in a place with a 'passing' trade and where it is part of collection of attractions. Ideally it needs some sort of attached media centre attached or close where special events such as a re-run of old cup finals and international matches can be shown in full or a series shown in highlights and where events with guest speakers covering various RL topics can give presentations.

I know where such a place is about to be built.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

3 minutes ago, Padge said:

This type of museum needs local council backing and needs to be in a place with a 'passing' trade and where it is part of collection of attractions. Ideally it needs some sort of attached media centre attached or close where special events such as a re-run of old cup finals and international matches can be shown in full or a series shown in highlights and where events with guest speakers covering various RL topics can give presentations.

I know where such a place is about to be built.

LSV?

5 minutes ago, Scubby said:

LSV?

Its full.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

45 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Do your own research. Then answer my question - how much are you prepared to stump up?

Most museums sound great to the enthusiasts but constantly struggle financially. A RL one will be at the lower end of that league. It is unlikely to generate much, if anything, towards the economy of Huddersfield or Kirklees in general.

Please don't laugh at your own jokes - it is quite childish.

£1 each then?  Let’s DO this…..

9 hours ago, gingerjon said:
9 hours ago, del capo said:

Personally I would prefer Rugby League Cares to focus on its core charitable purposes......especially with .the current concussion issues potentially stretching their resources enormously.

Yes, why is it Rugby League Cares who are doing this?

This is part of its four core purposes, as set out when the charity was founded - 

The objectives of the Charity as set out in the trust deed dated 11 February 20I3 are:

Organising or providing assistance in the organisation and provision of facilities which will enable and  encourage pupils of schools and universities and members of youth organisations in any part of the  United Kingdom or other foreign jurisdiction to play rugby league and other games or sports and  thereby assist in ensuring that due attention is given to the physical education and development of such pupils,as well as to the development and occupation of their minds.

The promotion of community participation in healthy recreation, in particular by the provision of such  financial and other assistance as the Trustees shall deem fit for the provision, establishment,  development and improvement of facilities for the playing of rugby league (or rugby league in conjunction with other sports).

Advancing the education of the public at large in all matters relating to the heritage, history and  development of rugby league and its antecedents.

To provide financial assistance to people who play or have played or who are or have been associated with the game of rugby league in the United Kingdom or other foreign jurisdiction and who are in need of support by reason of poverty, age or physical or mental infirmity or disability.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, M j M said:

This is part of its four core purposes, as set out when the charity was founded - 

The objectives of the Charity as set out in the trust deed dated 11 February 20I3 are:

Organising or providing assistance in the organisation and provision of facilities which will enable and  encourage pupils of schools and universities and members of youth organisations in any part of the  United Kingdom or other foreign jurisdiction to play rugby league and other games or sports and  thereby assist in ensuring that due attention is given to the physical education and development of such pupils,as well as to the development and occupation of their minds.

The promotion of community participation in healthy recreation, in particular by the provision of such  financial and other assistance as the Trustees shall deem fit for the provision, establishment,  development and improvement of facilities for the playing of rugby league (or rugby league in conjunction with other sports).

Advancing the education of the public at large in all matters relating to the heritage, history and  development of rugby league and its antecedents.

To provide financial assistance to people who play or have played or who are or have been associated with the game of rugby league in the United Kingdom or other foreign jurisdiction and who are in need of support by reason of poverty, age or physical or mental infirmity or disability.

So you pour all of the charities assets into a potential sink hole in Huddersfield ?

Where will that leave you with the other 3 core purposes ?

Padge bang on the money.

No its not  the LSV.

The new  Etihad  education and  game presentation project has to be the answer..........

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, del capo said:

So you pour all of the charities assets into a potential sink hole in Huddersfield ?

Where will that leave you with the other 3 core purposes ?

Padge bang on the money.

No its not  the LSV.

The new  Etihad  education and  game presentation project has to be the answer..........

??????

5 minutes ago, JohnM said:

??????

Check out the accounts and attached reports for Rugby League Cares at Companies House . 2020 being the latest.

Good luck with trying to run  a museum attraction in a place like Huddersfield where in the medium term the expenditure will far outweigh the income and at the same time help  look after our  seriously injured ( both mind and body ) players.

Tough choices ahead ?

• Like 1