Pick Your 17 From The Current 2022 Squad

LeagueConvert

l have been having a look at the signings so far and thought l would pick a 17 and compare it with what you folks think. l have done a bit of research on some of the players and there are some who can operate in different positions. So here goes

1. Jake Sweeting 

2. Andy Gabriel

3. Adam Ryder

4. Ollie Greensmith

5. Davey Dixon

6. Alex Smith

7. Matty Beharrell

8. Owen Harrison

9. Reiss Butterworth

10. Jon Magrin

11. Keenan Tomlinson

12. Michael Knowles

13. Chris Annakin

14. Dom Speakman

15. Lewis Carr

16. Ross Peltier

17. Dale Ferguson

The reason for putting Sweeting at Fullback is that he has played there a lot and can add a bit of pace coming into the line much like Flem did last year.

Smith has played Hooker and Loose Forward so brings option there too.

Butterworth and Speakman provide cover at half and hooker so good there .

Plenty of options at prop/second row too. 

Just my first stab with who we have currently on the books

17 hours ago, LeagueConvert said:

l have been having a look at the signings so far and thought l would pick a 17 and compare it with what you folks think. l have done a bit of research on some of the players and there are some who can operate in different positions. So here goes

1. Jake Sweeting 

2. Andy Gabriel

3. Adam Ryder

4. Ollie Greensmith

5. Davey Dixon

6. Alex Smith

7. Matty Beharrell

8. Owen Harrison

9. Reiss Butterworth

10. Jon Magrin

11. Keenan Tomlinson

12. Michael Knowles

13. Chris Annakin

14. Dom Speakman

15. Lewis Carr

16. Ross Peltier

17. Dale Ferguson

The reason for putting Sweeting at Fullback is that he has played there a lot and can add a bit of pace coming into the line much like Flem did last year.

Smith has played Hooker and Loose Forward so brings option there too.

Butterworth and Speakman provide cover at half and hooker so good there .

Plenty of options at prop/second row too. 

Just my first stab with who we have currently on the books

Ain't a clue about many of the new lads so hard to pick anything at the mo.  What I do know is that Chris Annakin would never have been a 13 in the good old days...Makes me sad just to think about all those ball handling loose forwards of old.  These days it seems you're just another battering ram.  Why can't Michael Knowles play there?   At least he can pass a ball and hasn't got a bad kicking game.  You could put Dom Speakman there too for the same reasons...

I think you have to have a fit Jason Walton in any starting line up and am surprised  you have no place for Jimmy Beckett.  He made a big difference when he played last year.

I think loose forward is a position you could play several of the current squad in...a bit spoilt for choice there. l guess it depends on the opposition and the game plan. No particular reason for not including Jimmy, just my first stab to prompt discussion

1 hour ago, NickD said:

Ain't a clue about many of the new lads so hard to pick anything at the mo.  What I do know is that Chris Annakin would never have been a 13 in the good old days...Makes me sad just to think about all those ball handling loose forwards of old.  These days it seems you're just another battering ram.  Why can't Michael Knowles play there?   At least he can pass a ball and hasn't got a bad kicking game.  You could put Dom Speakman there too for the same reasons...

I think you have to have a fit Jason Walton in any starting line up and am surprised  you have no place for Jimmy Beckett.  He made a big difference when he played last year.

5 hours ago, LeagueConvert said:

I think loose forward is a position you could play several of the current squad in...a bit spoilt for choice there. l guess it depends on the opposition and the game plan. 

If the game plan is the same as last year there would be no point playing Knowles or Speakman at 13 but maybe this year we will be modelling ourselves on St Helens so would need someone with some flair........PLEASE...please......

8 minutes ago, NickD said:

If the game plan is the same as last year there would be no point playing Knowles or Speakman at 13 but maybe this year we will be modelling ourselves on St Helens so would need someone with some flair........PLEASE...please......

Sorry but I’m too old now,the knees aren’t like they used to be 😂

27 minutes ago, NickD said:

Boom you woke up… 

15 hours ago, NickD said:

This should be influenced by the playing style of our half backs I would hope. Last year's approach was determined by the players available- you can't play pacy attacking football without pacy players.

With reference to your comments about loose forwards, who was the last proper loose forward that played for us and how long ago was that?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

41 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

This should be influenced by the playing style of our half backs I would hope. Last year's approach was determined by the players available- you can't play pacy attacking football without pacy players.

With reference to your comments about loose forwards, who was the last proper loose forward that played for us and how long ago was that?

Chris Squires…brilliant.  

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Les Holiday maybe Damian Ball 

10 hours ago, NickD said:

Chris Squires…brilliant.  

He was a centre Nick, never a loose forward. 

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

7 hours ago, Keep The Faith said:

Les Holiday maybe Damian Ball 

I agree. Les was the last one that we had who met the old-fashioned description of a proper ball-handling loose forward. That was 20+ years ago - the game has changed so much since then that the role has become virtually redundant, sadly.

My namesake ended up in that position eventually, of course, but that is another story.

3 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

I might be shot down for this but I think Chris Squires did play the odd game at 13, but he was def a centre.

Yes, Chris played in a lot of positions for us over the years but centre was his real position. As Nick earlier implied we went for many years without anyone that you could call a loose forward. Nowadays everyone is a second row/centre.

On 20/11/2021 at 08:16, Blind side johnny said:

Les Holliday, Damien Ball, Glen Coughlan, Paul Delaney, Daniel Frame, Tommy Gallagher,  Rob Roberts, Richard Slater, Josh Weeden

2 minutes ago, DewsburyRams4ever said:

Les Holliday, Damien Ball, Glen Coughlan, Paul Delaney, Daniel Frame, Tommy Gallagher,  Rob Roberts, Richard Slater, Josh Weeden

You’ve named 3 out of out 13’s the rest were shirt fillers from either Halves or props… 

7 hours ago, DewsburyRams4ever said:

Crikey.  Any of them would be welcome now.  

7 hours ago, Keep The Faith said:

You’ve named 3 out of out 13’s the rest were shirt fillers from either Halves or props… 

I hi cares?  Everyone on that list would be a better 13 than any we’ve had of late.  

Returning to the topic, my team of 17 would be:

1 Paul Sykes

2 Andy Gabriel

3 Adam Ryder 

4 Davey Dixon 

5 Lewis Carr

6 Alex Smith

7 Matty Beharrell

8 Jimmy Beckett

9 Reiss Butterworth

10 Chris Annakin

11 Jason Walton

12 Keenen Tomlinson

13 Michael Knowles

14 Dom Speakman

15 Jordan Schofield

16 Dale Ferguson

17 Jon Magrin

I would play Sykes as an interim FB as he is an outstanding defender. I think prop is Annakin’s best position and Knowles at LF; he can pass, kick and run. Schofield seemed to get better with more regular selection towards the end of last season and of the new boys not in my team, well I will have to see them play first. If Hall can regain his form shown earlier in the year, I would have to consider him. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Archived