Cricket - Matches & General Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I wonder how much it cost him to bribe the testers to announce a positive test, so he can be blameless of 4-0?

The Barmy Army have issued a statement. Something constructive on social media

Someone also needs to tell Gary Kirsten that in this country it is not the done thing to announce your interest in a position that, at the time of writing, is not vacant.

Whiler I would not have appointed Chris Silverwod myself, I would point out that he does not bat, bowl or field and tactical decisions are the responsibility of the Captain on the field.  People should focus not on the man himself and his family, who have been  subject to vile abuse on the open sewer that is twitter, but on those more senior to him that are responsible for the current state of English Cricket.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

48 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Someone also needs to tell Gary Kirsten that in this country it is not the done thing to announce your interest in a position that, at the time of writing, is not vacant.

Nah. He's done the right thing.

Being polite to people who know nowt but have got the right job is what's got us into this mess.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

"The 2023 Ashes starts here" standard fare from England's PR team once we get to the fourth test and England are 3-0 down, so you read it first here.

I am of course assuming there is no overnight COVID positives in the camp which with six players being forced back home out of the Big Bash may may selection more straightforward.

Changes they will make - Probably Broad for Robinson having talked himself back into the side.

Changes they should make - Bairstow to keep wicket, Lawrence for Buttler not that I think Dan Lawrence will have a  long Test career but he may get more runs than Buttler and Dom Bess for Leach. You cannot have Mark Wood batting at Number 8 you need to bolster the batting  it's either Bess or the ineffective (with the ball)  Chris Woakes back.   Wood, Broad, Leach and Anderson rivals Mullally, Tufnell and Giddins as a tail of woe for those of us old enough to remember.

Coaching, now while we only have a skeleton coaching staff led by batting coach Graham Thorpe - Candidate for the Middlesex Job - who has just noticed that fellow Surrey Man Rory Buns does not have the technique for Test Cricket after all this time in the job..

As the players have reportedly been left to their own devices, this is the opportunity to confirm the theory held by some past Aussie Cricketers that a coach is what you travel in from the hotel to the ground and not the master strategist plotting your opponents downfall from afar.

Australia -Probably  Usman Khawaja in for Travis Head and Scott Boland out replaced by Hazlewood. This is the important difference between Australia and England ruthlessness. It does bnot matter that Scott Boland got 6-7 against England. Josh Hazlewood is the better bowler and that's what counts. There's no room for sentiment in Aussie sport.

Once upon a time in the Womens game, The England side was dominated by Charlotte Edwards who to be honest was bigger than the sport she played but in 2016 the incoming coach Mark Robinson dropped her the following year England won the World Cup at Lords with players emerging from Edwards shadow. Brings me to whether England have the cojones to take the nuclear option with Anderson and Broad, someone needs to knock on the door and Say "Jimmy / Stuart I would like to thank you for all you have done for English Cricket but we are now moving on and you will not be picked for future series. Because you are legends we would like to give you the opportunity to retire and go out, publicly on your own terms"

Face facts here, Fast medium bowlers do not win tests overseas, Fast bowlers and spinners who give the ball a rip do. England have already identified their replacements as fast medium bowlers ,Robinson (Broad) and Saqib Mahmood (Anderson). It is time to move on.

Not sure if anyone has been watch ing "the man who bought cricket" documentary on SKY but I leave you with the question - Which ECB executive was dismissed or resigned as a result of this ?  and another in which ECB executive and key mover in the Stanford Super Series, seen giving Sir Allan a fist bump in Antigua, became Rugby League CEO in March 2015 having received an OBE for "services to Cricket" .....

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

16 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

"The 2023 Ashes starts here" standard fare from England's PR team once we get to the fourth test and England are 3-0 down, so you read it first here.

I am of course assuming there is no overnight COVID positives in the camp which with six players being forced back home out of the Big Bash may may selection more straightforward.

Changes they will make - Probably Broad for Robinson having talked himself back into the side.

Changes they should make - Bairstow to keep wicket, Lawrence for Buttler not that I think Dan Lawrence will have a  long Test career but he may get more runs than Buttler and Dom Bess for Leach. You cannot have Mark Wood batting at Number 8 you need to bolster the batting  it's either Bess or the ineffective (with the ball)  Chris Woakes back.   Wood, Broad, Leach and Anderson rivals Mullally, Tufnell and Giddins as a tail of woe for those of us old enough to remember.

Coaching, now while we only have a skeleton coaching staff led by batting coach Graham Thorpe - Candidate for the Middlesex Job - who has just noticed that fellow Surrey Man Rory Buns does not have the technique for Test Cricket after all this time in the job..

As the players have reportedly been left to their own devices, this is the opportunity to confirm the theory held by some past Aussie Cricketers that a coach is what you travel in from the hotel to the ground and not the master strategist plotting your opponents downfall from afar.

Australia -Probably  Usman Khawaja in for Travis Head and Scott Boland out replaced by Hazlewood. This is the important difference between Australia and England ruthlessness. It does bnot matter that Scott Boland got 6-7 against England. Josh Hazlewood is the better bowler and that's what counts. There's no room for sentiment in Aussie sport.

Once upon a time in the Womens game, The England side was dominated by Charlotte Edwards who to be honest was bigger than the sport she played but in 2016 the incoming coach Mark Robinson dropped her the following year England won the World Cup at Lords with players emerging from Edwards shadow. Brings me to whether England have the cojones to take the nuclear option with Anderson and Broad, someone needs to knock on the door and Say "Jimmy / Stuart I would like to thank you for all you have done for English Cricket but we are now moving on and you will not be picked for future series. Because you are legends we would like to give you the opportunity to retire and go out, publicly on your own terms"

Face facts here, Fast medium bowlers do not win tests overseas, Fast bowlers and spinners who give the ball a rip do. England have already identified their replacements as fast medium bowlers ,Robinson (Broad) and Saqib Mahmood (Anderson). It is time to move on.

Not sure if anyone has been watch ing "the man who bought cricket" documentary on SKY but I leave you with the question - Which ECB executive was dismissed or resigned as a result of this ?  and another in which ECB executive and key mover in the Stanford Super Series, seen giving Sir Allan a fist bump in Antigua, became Rugby League CEO in March 2015 having received an OBE for "services to Cricket" .....

Im not going to even bother listening to the 4th & 5th test’s with there being nawt to play for. I wonder if Aussie cricket have lost any cash with games finishing early ?. 

4 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

RLIF CEO wasn't he?

In all the Ashes "excitement" one of the most unlikely results happened this week. Bangladesh beat New Zealand, in New Zealand, in a test match by 8 wickets.

• Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

4 minutes ago, tim2 said:

In all the Ashes "excitement" one of the most unlikely results happened this week. Bangladesh beat New Zealand, in New Zealand, in a test match by 8 wickets.

Yes - was brilliant to see

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Wow i totally missed that . Amazing

Their first win in any format in New Zealand.

If you can find the Cricket on BT Sport twitter feed from yesterday morning there are some really good clips.

• Thanks 1

On 03/01/2022 at 17:44, Josef K said:

Im not going to even bother listening to the 4th & 5th test’s with there being nawt to play for. I wonder if Aussie cricket have lost any cash with games finishing early ?. 

FOXTEL ratings are the best ever apparently, despite the fact that crowds are down - partly due to COVID. It's the broadcast deals that Cricket Australia is concerned about so from their POV all is well finacially as a refund would have been on the cards if the tour was curtailed. Look at how they are trying to keep the Big Bash going regardless of two sides beibng COVID afflicted.

On 03/01/2022 at 22:14, JonM said:

RLIF CEO wasn't he?

Correct. The systemic failings of English Cricket now have their roots back then with the people running the game at that time.

7 hours ago, tim2 said:

And is it not time they were given a Test series here in England. There is latent support from the Bangladesh community here in England especially for tests played in London and by way of comparision, when England played at the Bay Oval in 2019 the New Zealand innings lasted 201 overs, BJ Watling scored 205 and England lost by an innings....☹️

Positvity Paragraph

There is a way England can get something out of this game but it involves a lot of ifs and coulds. If England can restrict Australia to a lead of 50 or under then it puts Australia under pressure in the Third Innings as the expectation now is that Australia will steamroller England. So If Joe Root plus AN Other can play a substantive innings and if the the tail is not blown away in the time it takes you to brew a cuppa and supports the batter that's in, then Pat Cummins could end up setting England a Fifth day target which if England treat as a one-day game total (runs / overs) and if its the case that a couple of Englands ODI giants , Stokes , Bairstow or Buttler get in it could be game on.

Alternatively we could end up with some of Malinda Farrell's (AKA Mrs Dobell) promised Sydney Thunderstorms over the next few days.....

BTW - The Moeen Ali v Aladair Cook exchange before the first ball had been bowled was worth the BT subscription. It's one of those rare moments of candour where somebody really says what they thought about their skipper.

George Orwell

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Their first win in any format in New Zealand.

If you can find the Cricket on BT Sport twitter feed from yesterday morning there are some really good clips.

Don't miss the clip of what is probably the second worse DRS review ever.

6 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

And is it not time they were given a Test series here in England. There is latent support from the Bangladesh community here in England especially for tests played in London

As you said in your post though, it's about tv revenue, and Bangladeshi tv doesn't provide any, which is why they get a 2 game test series once per decade or so. We go there March next year, but only for ODI & T20 games.

Edited by JonM

Bangladesh bring tons of noisy, colourful fan enthusiasm when they are playing in the UK, and a test series in and against England would be great.

It might be more of a level contest too, if the Ashes has been any guide...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Has Hameed always had his stance so far back onto his stumps that it makes it almost impossible for him to play any full deliveries? Are the coaches actually trying to do anything about it?

How many guys have come in from county cricket and had terrible techniques ? And they’ve got all the way to the test set up . It doesn’t say much for county cricket as a breeding ground . I could go from westley to Lawrence to Ballance to Sibley and many in between. 

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

How many guys have come in from county cricket and had terrible techniques ? And they’ve got all the way to the test set up . It doesn’t say much for county cricket as a breeding ground . I could go from westley to Lawrence to Ballance to Sibley and many in between. 

Burns and Sibley in particular have shown that you can have success in the domestic game by simply eliminating any off side play. I think Lawrence might be similar but not seen enough of him.

Hameed's actual technique would be fine if he took guard a yard or two further forward. Unfortunately, he's too easily beaten for pace as well. It all might be because his confidence is shot.

On 04/01/2022 at 01:44, Josef K said:

It was baffling to me that matches would start on a Wednesday. The premium opportunity for crowds are Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Why wouldn’t the test matches start on a Friday?

• Like 1

Phew, dodged the 5:0 whitewash.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Phew, dodged the 5:0 whitewash.

The Aussies were properly humiliated by only taking 19 of our wickets in a rain affected match.

It's going to be an interesting last Test - not least because those who came good in this one are broken and presumably won't be playing in it.

4 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

It was baffling to me that matches would start on a Wednesday. The premium opportunity for crowds are Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Why wouldn’t the test matches start on a Friday?

We’ve seen that creeping in over here . Thursday was the optimum day to cover weekends , but now with  back to back tests to squeeze them in they’re starting on various days . At this moment though that’s secondary to the euphoria around the country at our tremendous success in this test match . Basically the Aussies were saved by the weather , we ran out of time to get those 118

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1